1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Tone machine

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Bejon, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Bejon

Bejon NI Product Owner

Hello,
    I have a sample that is essentially a melody of 7 notes or so.
    When I use Tone Machine for the zone, the melody is reduced to 1 note, tuned about a two notes down but still rhythmically correct. I can transpose this note up or down, the speed remains the same, which is nice but the melody remains just this one note.
    Of course I can transpose it in other ways with Time Machine etc, but it looked interesting to me that Tone Machine can do some things with formants. Maybe I am expecting too much from this Machine, but I cannot find anything in the manual about this behavior.
    Can you explain, or where should I look for an explanation?

Thanks,
    Gerard

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

This is what Tone Machine does, reduces any sample to a single pitch (or rather, it imparts tonality to atonal samples, try it on drums for example). That is by design.

3. Bejon

Bejon NI Product Owner

Thank you, I understand now.
    Another question: I experimented further with the same melodious sample on C3. This first zone was in DFD mode. I copied the zone and made for the copy a new empty group, and put the new zone on C#3. I then used Time machine Pro in HQ mode for this copied zone, I clicked 'keep formants' and then transposed the copied zone a few notes up. While doing that, Kontakt 6 crashed. I tried the same thing with the first zone in sampler mode. Now it did not crash anymore. I understand that Time Machine Pro is Ram intensive. But this experiment used only 2 zones created from the same sample.
    I have a very fast Mac (iMacPro) with lots of memory, that cannot be the problem I think.
    Is it not safe to work with these copied zones that use the same wavesample?

I wonder if it is possible to make a new wav in Kontakt from the zone that I transposed with Time Machine Pro? I would like to prevent situations like this when working on a complex composition.

Thanks
    Gerard

4. EvilDragon

Save often!

I cannot reproduce that crash when doing the same exact steps you did. If you do it again exactly the same way, does it happen still?

5. Bejon

Bejon NI Product Owner

Hello,
    Until now no crashes anymore. Today it also worked with the first zone in dfd and the copied zone in Time Machine Pro mode.

I would like to know:
    1. Is it safe to work in Kontakt 6 with these copied zones that use the same sample-source?
    Because I will do that a lot.
    I will explain the way I work:
    Mostly I use about 50 melodious (melodies of about 4 notes in 1 sample) waves for one instrument. Every of the 50 zones created in the mapping editor has its own (empty) group, each zone has its own key.
    Often I want to create a new zone to play another part of the same sample. So I copy the original zone, give the copy its own empty group, and put it under an empty key. Now I can play the same sample under 2 different keys. I can now change the start and end points of the copy to play a different part of the original sample.
    I can also use Time Machine Pro to change the pitch (and the speed if I choose) of the copied zone.
    I can copy the copy again, make yet other start and end points and transpose that again.
    In Time machine Pro using HQ mode I can keep the formants, or change them etc.
    If I use a human voice, with this method I can create all kinds of new melodies, polyphonic structures and choir-like sounds, I have control over the pitch and speed, but will still be using the same one-sample source.

I understand that I cannot do this infinitely, using the same sample, but what would be the borders of this method?
    In practice I would use the same wave sample for probably 2 or 3 different zones.
    If I work like this a lot, using the same source sample, is this a feasable way to work in Kontakt 6 (I know it's a crazy way, but it is my way)?
    As I wrote before: I use a fast iMacPro with Logic X and Kontakt 6 as a plug-in.

Thanks
    Gerard

6. EvilDragon

Yes. Kontakt doesn't really care if you use the same sample in the zone or not. The maximum zone count limit is 98304, you won't be reaching it any time soon :)

7. Bejon

Bejon NI Product Owner

Great!
    Thank you!
    Gerard