toybox Reaktor 6.3 blocks

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by bolabo, Apr 20, 2019.

1. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Hey Everybody, hopefully I’m not breaking any forum rules (just delete this thread if I am), I just thought it would be good to start a separate thread in case any of you have any questions with using or installing the toybox Reaktor 6.3 packs / free pack. Also any feedback or suggestions.

I am also going to start making videos showing some of the functions of the different blocks, so let me know if there are any blocks in particular I should cover..

Thanks!
    David

• Like Like x 2
  2. sellotape

sellotape NI Product Owner

Some better antialiasing for the oscillator would be great. It actually sounds much weaker than the good old R5 corecells. The Filter should be used wisely too. I recommend to put something in your signal path that prevents you from clipping cause this filter is able to explode your gear. A little resonance compansation would be nice.
    Anyway some pretty handy blocks in there. All the routing stuff is a nice time saver and your utilities block is a real swiss army knife for modulars

• Like Like x 1
  3. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Hi Sellotape, thanks for the feedback

The aliasing depends on the oscillator and the quality mode. For example the multi-breakpoint oscillator in 'digital' mode will exhibit aliasing but not in 'analog' mode. The mini oscillator will exhibit aliasing when the waveform is very warped but the un-warped waveform is completely anti-aliased. There are some compromises made to keep the CPU light in this block. The normal (non-mini) oscillator has an 'analog' mode that has very low aliasing FM and warping of the waveform at the expense of higher CPU.

The resonance of some of the filters can get quite extreme, this can be interesting for some patches where the filter resonance can enter some really wild territory. We went with audio possibility rather than speaker safety so be careful with the resonance control on some of the filters as the filter self-oscillation will get quite loud. All the blocks have a transparent soft clipping algorithm at the output and this clipping will begin around +12dBFS, this kind of simulates the 12V rail of the eurorack system and therefore avoids runaway feedback loops. Keeping a safety limiter on the output isn't a bad idea to stop spikes and feedback damaging your speakers when patching with feedback paths.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. domomo

domomo NI Product Owner

Hi bolabo ,
    so have you developped the whole Toybox line? And do we know you under a different name? :) starting with D second name X or M second H?
    And are the payable modules "open source" and may I use the macros for my own purpose?
    Cheers to you and the stuff looks pretty straight forward

5. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Yes, around a years worth of development..

I have a couple of different NI accounts that I seem to randomly log in with as I'm often forgetting the password, David X is my other name here.. :) I'm not connected with MH but his packs are amazing, definitely check out his free pack!

Yep, totally fine to use any of the macros from any of the packs for your own purposes..

• Like Like x 3
  6. PhilSal

PhilSal New Member

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the free pack!

I think I have spotted an error in the "Gate Merge" block. The third "Merge" block on the left of the following figure (the one with blue connections) is wrongly connected.
    Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 16.30.42.png

I think the proper connections are:
    Screenshot 2019-04-22 at 16.31.09.png
    Thanks.

7. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Thanks for spotting that one Phil, will be fixed in the next update..

8. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

A quick demonstration of how to use the 'accent' port of the toybox gate sequencer to select a different sample, and also how to chain two sequencers together using the 'chain' port to get a longer pattern:

• Like Like x 1
  9. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

I think these look really good. I am going to try the free stuff out at the weekend and I am looking to buy the whole pack.
    Great work.

10. gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider NI Product Owner

The start from position > in the sequencer still doesn't work over here ( explained in earlier thread )

11. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Is there an intro price?

• Like Like x 1
  12. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

The sequencers always reset to the beginning when the DAW starts, this is a feature of the sequencers that might be convenient in some situations: no need to restart all the sequencers every time the DAW is restarted, although I can see this not being desirable in some circumstances. The workaround is to manually step forward to the desired starting step using the 'manual' button after starting your DAW. Another thing you can do is use the 'offset' control to set the starting step.

There's only a 'bundle' price for all the packs

13. gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider NI Product Owner

1.jpg
    Yes ,I know since you have explained that in the previous thread , but this is not convenient when the sequencer receives manual gate triggers from the note in module
    You also said that the sequencer has the ability to play from the current step when play/pausing the daw when manual gate is selected .(see screenshot )
    This however does not work .
    If I select manual gate and select a step , the sequencer always starts from the first step( when daw is restarted ), maybe an option to add that ?

step 1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  14. G_Major

G_Major NI Product Owner

Hi bolabo, first of all thank you for all those awesome blocks. Right now, I only have the free pack but I'm saving money to get every single block!

I saw your video where you explain how to chain sequencers and an idea came out to me with note sequencers. So I patched it and here is the result:

seq_toybox.png

It seems to be very chaotic, but it doesn't (green-audio, orange-pitch, blue-gates, teal-chain related signals, red-clocks related signals. Ports panels used to clean a little bit the patch). My goal was make a sequence with 3 chained sequencers (A, B1 and B2) where my sequence was: (A --> B1 --> A --> B2)n times.

So in order to do that (a switch between B1 and B2 sequencers) I needed a switcher or splitter or router to reroute the signal. I used a crossfate block with a square LFO controlling the output to B1 or B2. And I wonder, is there any block to route or split the input signal in one of your packs?

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself well. Summarizing, and I think you're gonna understand better, do you have any block with the behavior (or similar) of "route" from Reaktor Core?

Thank for all. Regards,
    Gonzalo

15. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Hi Gonzalo

Yes there are several ways of doing what you want..

The chain port simply outputs a gate signal when the sequence finishes, so you simply want to alternate sending gate signal from the A sequencer to B1 and then to B2, one way to do this would be to use the flipflop port on the free pack UTIL block, see screenshot 1.

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 12.59.37.png

Another option would be instead of using the 2 UTIL blocks you could use a single gate sequencer block set to play only 2 steps with an accent on the second step to act as a flipflop to route the gate signals between the gate output and the accent output, see screenshot 2. you will need to disable the 'ACCENT' button on the 'options' page so that the accented step isn't sent from the main gate output, see screenshot 3.

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 13.03.52.png

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 13.04.44.png

Alternatively there are 8 patterns for each sequencer block that you can select using the pattern knob or the pattern port (the pattern port is only available from structure view), so you could set up a value sequencer to modulate the pattern knob of the B sequencer (you only need a single B sequencer in this configuration) and then have the value sequence switch the pattern of the B sequencer every 4 bars, see screenshots 4&5:

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 13.19.19.png

Screenshot 2019-04-25 at 13.19.42.png

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Jonathan Tremblay

Jonathan Tremblay NI Product Owner

17. domomo

domomo NI Product Owner

SNX10!

(nothing else to say)
    !

no really buddy I enjoy your stuff!

In near future, i will buy all your blocks. If I havent yet, is only because time always runs away. And I am still stunned with your Free Pack!

(Bugs: please check if the Gate length of Gate Sequencer is changing inbetween two lenght (but that s only what i saw on the scope, maybe it wont effect my sound or even inspire it more)

Sending external (factory) clock to 2 different Gate Seq didnt seem to run in clock together (but i could be wrong on this last one)

i had once ac freq change with the osc by changing SR.

[EDIT: I LOVE THE IDEA AND POSSIBLITY SWITCHING OFF THE BLOCKS (in cpu processing) UNCONNECTED!!!]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  18. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Hey Domomo

Glad you are enjoying the blocks, thanks for your kind words.

Gate Sequencer is working ok here, you may have changed the swing setting?

If the sequencers are set to 'sync' mode they will run at the same tempo but they run off an internal clock so wont necessarily play in unison with each other if you start them at different times.. If you reset both sequencers at the same time (by connecting a switch or something to the play ports of both sequencers) they will stay in sync. Also starting your DAW or reaktor's transport will reset the sequencers and lock them together, or you can connect them together using their 'step' ports to lock them to a single clock. There's a video demonstrating using the sequencers 'step' in ands out ports here:

19. domomo

domomo NI Product Owner

Respect really!
    You made your builds very thoughtfully and with heart and love! I like it a lot, really! Bravo!

Love all these little easter eggs!
    The LPG which pops up while ENV is connected to In and all options around it. Just really really lovely!
    The "INF" option of the Decay ( i have no clue what this really does, but i like it and the way you thought while building this ) Perfect for percy and plugs ..
    The Ring options on the mixer.. wow.. the option between FM and PM .. the list is endless... WONDERFUL! The matrix the utils the math options for those who really only use racks... it's so well thought! Really Really Good!

Now to the downside: (no i am just kidding :))
    Thanks for the hint that "play" also resets - this wasnt clear for me on the first run, probably just because the factory blocks didnt work that way (reseting on play) however it works marvelously well! TY
    Also the options on those sequencers: the tiny pattern switch and the logic and easy copy and past integrations and the random ... all damn lovely!!
    And the recordin IN! Man... I cant stop saying WOW!! You made patching options for infinite possibilites and smart and cool looking.

So just quickly about the gate length of the sequencer. I spotted this with the scope while i was actually just trying to understand some behaviour of your modules.
    And I saw 2 different gate lenghts. But actually it might happen that this is because of the factory Scope's DisplayClock (what is a pain in the ass). So the scope is wrong and you are all fine !

But could you please confirm that the osc behave on different SRs as they should? e.g.: opening your nksr "engine 2 stroke" and changing SR44 to 176 the sound quiet disappears. Same if connected directly to the out (without filter). Does this behave as it should?

Looking forward to check out your new wavetable, soon, I used and enjoyed your old one a lot!

20. G_Major

G_Major NI Product Owner

You, you... you're incredible man! You've teached me a lot! My real goal is to make a random sequence of sequencers :D and with all of this information I have a more solid idea to achive it. Thank you really so much!!!