toybox Reaktor 6.3 blocks

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by bolabo, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

big thumbs up to Colin! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
  2. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  3. tkurgpold

tkurgpold NI Product Owner

That image of the piano roll with the envelope overlaid is instantly drawing me back into Blocks singlehandedly. Too bad my computer just died..

4. Catman Dude

David, I'm a little slow getting out of the blocks (no pun intended), but I have been playing around with the Free Pack's Oscillator, and I want to tell you how much I appreciate the fabulous work you've done! (And wow, you're giving that one away.) I love all the Warp options, each one musical and all of them different from each other. Plus Analog vs. Digital, and all the sync/tracking features!

I have tried to use one of the polyphonic oscillators but have not figured out (in a regular old blocks ensemble) how to convert the polyphonic out port, and, if I do, whether that turns the block back into monophonic. Is there a simple example you can point to for integrating a polyphonic oscillator into an all-blocks ensemble?
    Many thanks!
    David

• Like Like x 1
  5. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Thanks! :)

See attached rack and screenshot for a basic polyphonic patch, all the connections in this rack are polyphonic except for the last connection after the last envelope to the output. Polyphonic ports have a grey ring around them.

There's a description of how to use the polyphonic ports here:

https://www.toyboxaudio.com/pages/synth-pack-details

(Cable colours --> pitch = red, gate = teal, audio = purple, modulation = blue)

Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 18.13.02.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Catman Dude

Hi David,
    Thanks! This should set me straight.
    Am I correct in the following thoughts?
    1) When using Polyphonic blocks, make the last block in the poly-blocks chain have Mono Output port.
    2) It will work best to keep poly blocks sequentially connected (not good mixing and matching back and forth: Poly, Mono, Poly, Mono, etc.).
    3) Using only a single Poly block, an Oscillator, in an ensemble of Mono blocks, won't work properly (polyphonically) because its output port will have to be Mono, therefore the last poly block in a chain of poly blocks should be one that isn't critical to hearing multiple voices. (As your examples shows, by making the last poly block the Envelope??
    Thanks again,
    David

7. Catman Dude

Thanks for the UTIL-Note In Polyphonic! (That's what I needed.)

8. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Yes often that is the case. You can visualise it as if each polyphonic block is a 'stack' of 5 monophonic blocks, one for each voice, with a single shared front panel. The polyphonic connections (between the poly blocks) actually carry 5 separate monophonic connections, one connection for each 'voice'. So If you want to build a polyphonic synth with a filter and VCA etc, you will want the signal path to stay polyphonic (split into 5 voices) as it travels from block to block and then only mix the voices down to a single monophonic signal when you are ready to process all the voices of the synth together, for example when you want to some effects.

It also depends what you want to do, for example you can connect a monophonic modulation source to a polyphonic oscillator if you want to modulate all 5 voices at the same time.

Yes, you will need to mix the voices to a monophonic signal at some point before you send the it to Reaktor's output.

In the upcoming update to the synth bundle you will be freely able to connect polyphonic ports to monophonic ports and the block will automatically mix the polyphonic signal down to a single signal. Just waiting to get the blocks re-encoded..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gentleclockdivider

gentleclockdivider NI Product Owner

I think i found a new bug in the free pack
    Take the adsr envelope and set it to loop mode, everything below 20ms for the attack portion has no effect , iow it seems that 20 ms is the shortest time ( when in loop mode )

10. Catman Dude

I'm not seeing that, gentleclockdivider. Maybe I'm missing something so please explain if I am...
    I have the 'Envelope' block in Reaktor standalone at the moment, with Attack = 0; Decay = 64 ms; Release = 1.00 ms. I can see the gate light flashing very rapidly. In Debug mode the numbers are changing all the time. It isn't hooked up at the moment to drive a signal to the outputs, which I'll try now...

11. Catman Dude

Further testing with the Oscillator Wrp XFade block as an audio input to the Envelope's In shows (to my ears and for my purposes) how well-calibrated the Envelope block is. I can make it self-oscillate in Cycle mode. I can change the pitch of self-oscillation by changing the Decay and Release times, or the Attack time as well.
    BTW, my readout of the Attack shows 20 ms at about 11:30 or later on the knob dial. I.e. below 20 ms is almost half of the range of the knob, which goes from 10.0 seconds down to 0.00 ms. The lowest positive readout is 0.01 ms. (There may be a lot of points along the way between 0.00 ms and 0.01 ms, as the readout doesn't show millionths but only hundred-thousandths of seconds.) I can hear significant differences in the output all along this range of very short attack times, whether I am making the Envelope self-oscillate or not.
    Using the stage curves also impacts, significantly, the sound of the Oscillator-> Envelope in this very short Attack Time range.
    Maybe we're not talking about the same block?

Envelope 20 ms.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

:oops:
    Where is the loop mode in this Block, please?

13. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Cycle

• Like Like x 1
  14. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

mm, not seen here neither.

15. Catman Dude

CYCLE Button.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

I'm not able to reproduce this here. Attack is working for me all the way down to 0.00 in 'cycle' mode.

17. gentleclockdivider

What I am trying to say is when the envelope is set to loop mode , the attack time between ms and 20 ms makes no difference , it seems that 20 ms (
    ( rougly ) is the fastest attack time available .
    Make sure the decay time is also short , now adjust atttack time as mentioned

18. gentleclockdivider

Hmmmm I must have been doing somthing wrong then , now it does work >

Another question ,is it possible to use cycle mode only on gate on?
    Now it cycles indefinitely

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Great :)

That's not currently possible but you can do it using 2 copes of the envelope block: just feed a 'cycling' envelope into a 'non-cycling' envelope.

20. Catman Dude

Curiosity makes me want to ask -- hypothetically, for one's own personal use -- is the following a correct analysis:
    that in the ADSR macro there are 2 quickbuses, 'G' for Gate which carries both '1' for On and '0' for Off, and 'Cycle' with similar values; and that inside the 2 Selector macros that take 'Cycle' as an input, if the 'G' quickbus was included as an input as well, couldn't a user check the logical AND value of 'G' and 'Cycle' instead of Cycle's value alone, and thereby get gentleclockdivider's desired outcome?

• Like Like x 1