1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

toybox Reaktor 6.3 blocks

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by bolabo, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Michael Hart

Michael Hart New Member

I want to echo what catman dude has said. There are tons of amazing blocks out there and I enjoy using everyone's creations but the toy box blocks are far and away my favorites. The piano roll sequencer alone is such an amazing creativity tool. Thank you David!

2. hanratty

hanratty NI Product Owner

I've been really enjoying the free pack! I held off on buying the other packs perhaps on the mistaken view that they used a little bit more CPU than the other blocks, and my laptop is getting old. Do the Toybox blocks use extra CPU, or am I mistaken about that?

One thing about them that I love, as a 13" laptop user, is that the toybox blocks are very capable but are small in screen size! Some of the NI blocks, like driver, for example, are huge for no apparent reason.

3. Moujik

Moujik NI Product Owner

I do find that the TB blocks are a little more CPU hungry, and also take longer to open (=Core compile?) than most others.

OTOH I really appreciate features like the oscillators having built-in VCAs which I am sure saves a chunk of CPU in a patch. I'm also experimenting at the moment with splitting a big patch over multiple DAW channels (=CPU cores) using the mux/demux blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

5. Michael Hart

Michael Hart New Member

Toybox blocks are a bit more CPU intensive than the average block, but with some exceptions the blocks are comparable to the average Reaktor block. If you are having fun with the free pack and not running out of cpu I'd think most of the other tb blocks would work out for you. The high cpu blocks that come to mind based on my experience are the polyphonic blocks in the synth pack and the multi-fx block (designer's pack?).

6. colB

colB NI Product Owner

As long as the cpu usage isn't crazy then having to deal with resource constraints is very much in keeping with the hardware modular vibe.
    Modular hardware is extremely expensive, and takes up loads of space as well. Part of the reason some modular music is interesting and unusual is because of the problems that have to be solved and the compromises that have to be made just getting past the limitations of the available resources (unless you are very wealthy).

In Reaktor, on a reasonable PC, you would have to 'spend' many thousands of virtual $$ on modules before running out of cpu!

In some ways it's easier than hardware because some of the utility modules that you need lots of, like dividers, mixers, modulation sources, VCA's, sequencers etc. are relatively easy on cpu - and that's where much of the wholesome goodness is IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

To Moujik and hanratty (in particular): the most expensive use of CPU I have encountered with Toybox blocks are the polyphonic ones.
    BUT I wouldn't miss these for the world! (Synth Pack!!)

What I think you learn how to do with these poly-blocks is make small-ish ensembles, and, as colB has pointed out (elsewhere) you don't need all your blocks in a polyphonic ensemble to be poly. Better not to, really.
    Toybox ports actually encourage mixing poly and mono, and this means you can get the benefits of polyphony, yes real chords in blocks, without really blowing your CPU away.
    Apart from that, I agree with Moujik that the combination blocks in Toybox, like the Gate + ADSR, probably save on CPU, although IIRC there are 2 Core Cells in that one, so not really sure about that...

8. hanratty

hanratty NI Product Owner

Thank you for the information. I hope I didn't seem too critical of the Toybox blocks. I really like the Free pack and think it is very generous to give away so much. My computer's just a little old at this point. The other packs look amazing, and I'm sure they sound amazing too.

9. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Thanks guys!!

Just a heads up we added a new block to the free User Blocks Pack -->

Table - A block that has 2 tables that you can write and read to.

The block features:
    • 2 separate tables
    • Each table can have between 1 and 1024 'storage cells'
    • Independent read and write locations
    • All parameters are modulateable
    • 8 morphable snapshot locations
    • Gate generator
    • Randomiser
    • Undo / Redo
    It's is a real Swiss Army knife: it can be used to draw or record modulation, as a drawable audio-rate oscillator, as part of a generative music patch, for recording and storing notes of a sequence, generating clocks etc...

[​IMG]

You can grab the updated 'User Blocks Pack' HERE

[​IMG]

Also there is a SALE for September with all packs and bundles 30% off --> enter the code TOYBOXSEPTEMBER at the checkout

David

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Catman Dude

Hi David,
    I looked at the Table block a couple of days ago. Has it been updated recently? (I.e. do I need a more recent version?)
    If possible a video of some of what you can do with it would be helpful.
    Thanks for the awesome new-paradigm blocks you are creating!!

11. KoaN

KoaN NI Product Owner

Crazy how much creativity,generosity and quality comes from Toybox,it's really a gold mine and new stuff all the time! Are you a one man team?

• Like Like x 1
  12. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

oh yes. One has to respect that..

13. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

DITTO!! PleasePlease!!

14. Catman Dude

My remarks about a previous Table block weren't off base, but it was a different block in a different Pack!
    Free Pack has a SEQ-Table in the Sequencers folder, whereas User Blocks has a UTL-Table.
    The newer block has more outputs and one more input (Rec) and more knobs. Beyond that I will have to do some work to figure out whether the initial Free pack block is truly separate and unique from the newer one.
    David, maybe you could shed some light on the question?
    THANKS!

15. uksnowy

uksnowy NI Product Owner

Is there an updated version of this. It is very useful but it does not cover all the features that are on the V1.1.

16. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Thanks! I design and build the blocks myself and have help from my girlfriend, Nicky with marketing, videos etc, and a designer who is working on the skins of the newer blocks. We have some very exciting things coming up over the next few weeks!

Yes I will do a video showing some different ways of using the table block. It's pretty versatile.

I'm not sure which block in the free pack that is, I did post an early version of the UTL-Table block but this one is more fully featured. So maybe you have this old one also.

Yes I should update that chart :) A lot of the features are the same but the layout has been improved and there are a few additions in the updated block.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Hey Guys, we just added a new block to the Toybox User Blocks pack:

Sequential Switch

seq sw screenshot.png

It's a super useful, multipurpose block that routes a set of 8 inputs to a set of 8 outputs in various ways, driven by a sequencer.

Just connect a clock signal to the GATE input and a bunch of different input signals (try audio signals, gate signals, pitch signals etc) to different destinations (try mixer inputs, sequencers, FM inputs etc) using the block’s input and output ports and experiment.

Or try connecting an oscillator to the GATE port and a bunch more oscillators with different shapes and frequencies to the input ports, using the FADE control turned up, for an experimental 'layered' oscillator. There are probably an infinite number of ways you can use the Sequential Switch block.

There are some example racks included in the pack.

You can grab the Toybox User Blocks here:

https://www.toyboxaudio.com/

Also we are running a spooky sale for Halloween, just enter SPOOKY25 for 25% off all packs and bundles.

David

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Catman Dude

Hi David,
    I downloaded the Sequential Switch user-block, but Reaktor is associating it with the Sampler Pack, the only pack I don't own (not much of a sampler guy), and I wasn't able to even see it in Reaktor standalone. Just for a test I dragged the Seq Table block into Reaktor without trouble.
    I'm not sure what the magic I need is in Native Access to make it happy. Any ideas?

19. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Oops, thanks, fixed that now, please download the pack again :)

20. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Hey Guys, we just released 2 new blocks:

Vintage Sampler & Vintage Sampler Lite

vintage sampler screenshot rack2.png

These blocks have the ability to ‘sample’ audio from their input port (like a real hardware sampler), for independent recording and playing back of samples. The controls have been laid out to make jamming with a sample very easy and fun.

A high-quality playback engine allows click-free looping, juggling and granulizing of samples using the CROSSFADE control, plus there are 5 different FM modes including a 'scratch' mode for scratching effect.

The blocks feature a fantastic GUI designed by Christian Schneider from Sonidiom (who also designed the GUI for the Sequential Switch which is also in the free User Blocks Pack). Of course being modular, all functions (including arming / recording / scratching etc) can be modulated using the other blocks in the User Blocks Pack.

The full ‘Vintage Sampler’ block features high quality modelling of a variety of vintage hardware samplers (not available in the lite version). A lot of work has gone into accurately emulating the signal path of several vintage units. The sampler has 5 different ‘models’ which can be selected from the block’s ‘Options’ page: TOY1, TOY2, 80s, 90s and CLEAN.

The 'Vintage Sampler Lite' block is available for free as part of the Toybox User Blocks Pack and the 'Vintage Sampler' block can be purchased for $19 (or just $14.25 using the current SPOOKY25 discount). Reaktor 6.4 (not the player version) is required to use either block as they are both ‘User Blocks’.

The blocks are available on the toybox website:

toyboxaudio.com

Also the Halloween sale is currently running! Just enter the code SPOOKY25 at the checkout for 25% off all toybox packs and bundles

David

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1