toybox Reaktor 6.3 blocks

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by bolabo, Apr 20, 2019.

1. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

by chance it’s a quick edit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KennyG5000

KennyG5000 NI Product Owner

Sorry for bombarding this forum with posts, but have come across a strange little quirk (possibly bug?) when trying to input an octave transposition via the 'transpose' block into the 'note sequencer' block. It appears that when the 'note sequencer' block is linked via the 'step' out to chain it, the sequencer block does not read the transpose data coming in. What is strange is that if you drive the block via the 'gate' in to sequence it, it does! So it can certainly be circumnavigated, but I don't know if chaining via the 'steps' outs on the sequencers inhibits any more functionality on that block if the transpose info is ignored. I have attached a screenshot below showing the 'SD Seq' block is not receiving the transpose data (though this is hooked up on the structure view). Since it can't really be shown on a screenshot too well, I have also attached both a 'working' (with the 'gate in') and 'non working' (with the 'step' chained) Rack example to demonstrate. Chaining not working.png
    While exploring the 'transpose' block (which looks like a swiss army knife of functionality!), I noticed this intriguing info when hovering over the 'range' out:

Does this mean you can take a tempo synced loop, load it in the 'loop player' and drive it via the 'range' out in the 'transpose' block (coupled with a 'note sequencer' to re-order (mashup) a loop (then with the option to recall new patterns to change it the fly?). If so, this sounds uber-useful, and if there is the chance to demonstrate such a feature I would be most grateful!

Attached Files:

3. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Hi KennyG5000, looks like the problem is due to the fact that you are using the transpose block to change which sample the sample player is selecting to play... but the transpose block is being triggered by the LFO just after the the sample selection has already occurred so it's too late to make a different selection (it's probably late by only by a single audio tick or so..)

The reason that it's different using the step input is just to do with the timing / processing order of the blocks in that particular configuration.

On the options page of the sequencer there is delay knob, if you turn this up just a tiny amount it should trigger the sampler just AFTER the LFO has triggered the transpose block, so that might work better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Sound designer CinningBao getting cuddly with some FMed supersaws..

• Like Like x 2
  5. KennyG5000

KennyG5000 NI Product Owner

Thanks for pointing that out David, I think I had contacted you via the website on a similar issue I was having and the slight delay sorted that too! It is probably useful to have that fix on the forum in case anyone else comes across that scenario when using the sequencers, you just have to be mindful of the order of events when it comes to Reaktor! Now my samples are playing nicely with the sequencers, I planning to build myself some nice custom drum maps to trigger on the fly!

Great demo of 'supersaw' block, loved particularly the 'scale snap' (had seen that but hadn't yet investigated!), that is going to super useful for building harmony (enjoying discovering all the 'tucked away' features on these blocks!).

6. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Sound designer CinningBao demonstrating how to build a basic synth and then use the ‘Macro Preset’ block to create a set of preset sounds to morph between:

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

CinningBao getting robotic with the TOYBOX Analog Vocoder block:

• Like Like x 2
  8. poet666d

poet666d New Member

Hi,
    Is anyone else getting a click from some of the kicks in the drum module since the Reaktor update?
    Sounds like a non-zero-crossing cut blip.
    Happens with my own ensembles, but also in the Racks in the Sampler pack.
    Oddly the "Drum Loop" rack needs a few repeats before the clicks start.
    The "Ropey Beat" rack does it straight away.

Thanks.

9. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Not here. What kicks exactly ?

10. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

The clicks will have been there in "Ropey Beat" before the update too.. yes it's due It's due to the restart of the sample happening at a non-zero-crossing.. this will always be a problem when using long sustained samples of pure sine wave type sounds like long 808 boom samples.. it is inherent... I made a polyphonic sampler that had a legato function, specially for 808 booms, so the booms would never overlap but wouldn't click either.. I'll see if I can dig it up..

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  11. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Found it, I've added this to the upcoming 'poly pack'

• Like Like x 1
  12. poet666d

poet666d New Member

The ones in the "Drums" oscillator in the Free pack.

They weren't. Happens in all my own ensembles (been making various drum machines) and definitely didn't before the update.
    Tried again this morning, and it didn't happen when I first opened Reaktor, but did when I re-opened it.

Seems like the "return to sample start" isn't quick enough, just my impression.

Good news on the poly pack, something to look forward to.
    Thanks.

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Is it a GRE - global reset event?

14. poet666d

poet666d New Member

Sorry, not sure what you're asking. :(

I generally just use the Gate sequencer output to the reset of the drums oscillator to trigger them, and often use the (nifty) accents trick to trigger a snare from the same oscillator.

15. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

It's possible you were just lucky before, if a gate restarts the sub bass sample playback while it has a 'non-zero' output you will get a small click due to the discontinuity, usually you can't hear these small clicks but they are more audible on the very long sub bass samples in the drum block..
    You won't get these clicks if you use the 'poly sample player' in the sampling pack..

16. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

This reminds me of a looong thread about clicks and overlap : https://www.native-instruments.com/...ixed-vel-episode-2.342821/page-4#post-1723011
    Is this be related ?

17. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

Yes maybe, for the parts where they discuss discontinuities in the waveform caused by restarting an oscillator. It's a common cause of clicks..

18. bolabo

bolabo NI Product Owner

BTW, here's a tip to modulate any control in Reaktor Blocks even if the control doesn't have a modulation slider, 1st in a series of 'quick-tips' :) -->

• Informative Informative x 3
  19. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

Nice! Thanks, David.

20. Michael Hart

Michael Hart New Member

I'm having an issue changing the key of the toybox note delay blocks, I'm not positive but I might have started having the issue around the time of the update. I'm unable to change the note at the bottom from C, as if the interface is frozen. Is anyone else having this issue?