1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

TP3 Music import messed up (FIXED)

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Redz0ne, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Redz0ne

Redz0ne New Member

I have tracks in folders for each release, when importing in TP3 the order is messed up. In TP2 they used to import in order.

Anyone else seeing this?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

Same here. Files used to import in order of artist/album which as part of my workflow I would then rate, check beat grids, etc. Now they're importing in a completely haphazard and out of order fashion. I can always dump them into a playlist and sort through them that way, but it seems like an unnecessary step.

3. Redz0ne

Redz0ne New Member

That's exactly the way I work too. Where do you log an official bug?

4. laurenzo

laurenzo New Member

Hello,
    in my case, importing nml playlist with less than 500 tracks causing Traktor 3 box with the import process meter stay open and impossible to close it. Must "force to quit" Traktor.

5. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

It is seriously driving me crazy that whole albums do not import grouped together and in sequence any longer. I'm now finding that albums imported with Traktor 3 won't display proper groupings of artist/album in the browser the way they used to in Traktor 2. For example, I re-ripped an entire artist's discography and imported the files into Traktor Pro 3.0. Now when I sort the browser by artist, all of the albums by this artist (that were imported at the same time) are mismatched with no rhyme or reason. This is a problem as simply sorting by artist in the browser was always my default. I have to now specifically search by artist to narrow the browser results, then sort by album. These extra steps are incredibly annoying when gigging. Additionally, when I want to browse through multiple artists lets say by genre, etc...artists/albums used to import and display in proper album groupings until Traktor 3. Now it does not and it's a big mess to wade through. Is this really not affecting many of you and affecting your work flow?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Redz0ne

Redz0ne New Member

Same here,

I use TP2 to add new tracks to my collection, then in Traktor 3 I delete my collection and add the TP2 collection.
    It's a convoluted way of working but does the trick. It's doesn't fix the search issue though

7. snowbro

snowbro NI Product Owner

Well, another reason for me not to upgrade. I'm waiting 'till the upgrade is worth paying for. I want video, dmx control, etc, I don't want to re-order, re-analyse, re-do anything. I spend years organising my music collection. If I want to re-do anything I would switch to VDJ right now.

8. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

Well, this week I switched back to Traktor 2. If I had a way to get a refund on Traktor Pro 3 I would.

I had begun to troubleshoot everything else in my system. Maybe it was iTunes? Maybe the fact that I tested out Rekordbox changed something in my settings? Maybe it was my OS or something else wrong with my computer? Nope. It was Traktor 3 all along.
    I even deleted my TP3 collection to do a fresh import and see if that fixed it...nope. I could see that it was importing all of the tracks numerically. In other words, all CD1 track 1 tracks, then 2, etc. which then caused a complete out of order mess.

A user named DJ Lem (and subsequently waxmaster909) presented the whole issue in a much more coherent fashion than I did, and had his post closed for additional comments without resolution. The whole discourse is here: https://support.native-instruments....o-Collection-jumbles-the-Order-of-them-en-us-

As soon as I re-installed Traktor 2.11.3 and imported my collection, lo and behold everything imported in the expected order: (grouped by artist, album, track number).

I appreciated the upgrades to Traktor 3, but this ONE issue was workflow breaking for me. I simply could not easily sort, or find my music either during preparation or performance. If you don't have that, the rest of the software is useless.

I really hope NI both acknowledges and fixes this issue soon (and notes the fix in the release notes) so that I can try using the Traktor 3 that I paid for again.

9. MixMasterG

MixMasterG Active Member

Am I correct to assume that the problems you experience are with the # sorting order?
    This can be a confusing thing, but in short it comes in 2 varieties:
    The (entire) Track Collection view:
    the # is the record(id) of the track in the Traktor database (=collection.nml)
    You can easily see how this works. Add a few tracks to any playlist you like. switch to your collection view. sort it on # and you'll see the new tracks at the end in the sequence they were added at. So if you add them by name, they will be in sequence of name. Add them in sequence of modification date or size that will be their sequence in the Db. Delete a track from the middle of the collection, quit and start Traktor again, and you'll see all tracks shifted up.

a PlayList view:
    the # is the sequential position of the track in the playlist. Since the whole point is to create sequences you might like to use in a mixtape or using a gig for instance the # has nothing to do with the collection #. You can drag the tracks in any random sequence you like in the playlist and the # will remain sequential. The tracks will initially have the sequence in which they were added to the playlist but this can be easily re-arranged.

I use both methods actively in my workflow to for instance limit the scope of Mixed in Key to only the tracks that were last added. A video of my workflow is posted here with full explanation of the why's, there is a timeline index in the remarks.

in addition to the workflow seen in the video above I've developed an app that imports any selection of playlists and folders from iTunes to Traktor.

I hope with explaining the behavior you can tweak your workflow so it will be maintained. I've had no issues going from TP2 to TP3 at all.

10. Redz0ne

Redz0ne New Member

This is not a collection sort order issue, why do people keep talking about sorting! We know how to click the ListView header to sort!

This is an import order issue. Tracks in the same folder should import sequentially ordered by the # id. This is the way Traktor has always worked, this is broken in TP3.

NI please how do I post a bug report so this can be sorted?

11. SirReal

SirReal NI Product Owner

I noticed this happening when I updated my OS on my mac some months ago. Use iTunes playlists in Traktor and Engine Prime. The exported playlists from iTunes would import in reverse order in both Traktor and Engine. It's a big pain in the a$$.

12. MixMasterG

MixMasterG Active Member

Tracks dont have a fixed ID in the collection.nml. However they have a fixed sequence which you might consider ID. The Collection.nml can be opened with any rudimentary text editor and you can see for your self no ID# for track entries. The lookup in playlists is done through the track's filepath. If you delete some tracks from the middle of the collection the "ID's" after the deleted tracks will change to bridge the gap the deletion left. That is why I did put the id between brackets in my original reply. The playlist (so not folder) order should remain when upgrading from TSP2 to TP3.

13. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

Thank you for attempting to assist MixMasterG, but perhaps there is a misunderstanding of the issue. As Redz0ne pointed out, this is not simply a sorting issue which can easily be remedied by hitting a sort field after import. It's an issue with importing into TP3 and how new files ultimately are displayed and sorted completely out of order in the new version. This is not an issue at all in previous versions.
    This must not affect all users as there would be much more of an uproar, or the majority of users don't import full albums into TP3 to notice the same issue.
    When upgrading between TP2 and TP3 there was no problem. The collection imported as expected. However, any new imports into TP3 are loaded in a manner that dispays artist/album/track number out of order no matter the sorting method. It has nothing to do with the # option.
    Once again, I believe that the link I provided above gives a much more thorough job of explaining than I had.
    Interesting note...
    I saved some recent playlists from TP3 and imported them into TP2 and found that the tracks have the same sorting issue (artist/album/track number out of sequence). Yes, you can sort by artist, but the albums will still be out of sequence. You can sort by album which is fine, but then you have the artists out of order. You can enter the artist in the search field and then sort by album and everything is fine, but why should we have to do that extra step when in TP2 and earlier artist/album/track number are grouped together by default? Needless to say I deleted the imported playlists and recreated them in TP2 with no issues related to sorting, or how the tracks display.
    I should also point out that the new tracks I've imported since October when I upgraded to TP3 imported just fine and in the expected order when importing to TP2. So this had nothing to do with issues related to the files themselves.
    Again, I feel that there is a misunderstanding of the issue and perhaps if you don't see it in your own collection it's difficult to understand just how workflow breaking this is.
    I've been working back in TP2 for the last few days again and it's a huge relief to just. have. it. work.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  14. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

Because pictures illustrate this better than I can, here are several.
    Let's start with Traktor Pro 2.11.3.

Here's a screenshot of how tracks import into the collection sorted by import date (descending order to show the new imports):

TP2 Collection Sorted By Import Date
    [​IMG]

Next I made a playlist and placed just the new tracks into it. Here are a few pictures of both the sorted and unsorted tracks in the playlist.

TP2 Playlist Unsorted
    [​IMG]

TP2 Playlist Sorted By Artist (Note, the results are exactly the same as the unsorted pic)
    [​IMG]

TP2 Playlist Sorted By Album
    [​IMG]

Now we move on to Traktor Pro 3.0.2. Same rules apply, but obviously the overall collection is smaller since it only represents these new files.

TP3 Collection Sorted By Import Date
    [​IMG]

TP3 Playlist Unsorted
    [​IMG]

TP3 Playlist Sorted By Artist
    [​IMG]

TP3 Playlist Sorted By Album
    [​IMG]

Mac OS Mojave Version 10.14.2
    MacBook Pro 15 Inch 2017
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Hope this helps explain what I'm seeing. Imagine if ALL of your new adds were totally mixed up in the TP3 manner.
    It was manageable for a couple of months, but finally got to the point where I had far too much of a jumble to work with.
    This has never been an issue in previous versions. Even with a Collection as large as mine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

16. MixMasterG

MixMasterG Active Member

I did have a look and see exactly what you mean. Am I correct to assume both collection were created from scratch from the same source and not the automatic migration from 2.X to 3.X?

What am I looking at? is it Folder view? collection view? playlist view? make the screencut wider so it includes the whole collection area from left to right and top to bottom.

some thing to try:

The Traktor collection database is stored in the Collection.nml.
    Each version of Traktor has it's own collection.nml they are stored at
    ~/Documents/Native Instruments/Traktor XXXX/collection.nml
    XXXX being the Traktor version
    what happens if you copy the the collection.nml from the 2.X version into the 3.X version? (you'll have to quit Traktor before doing this and make backups first)

17. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

Well, I had hoped for the best, but it appears that Traktor 3.1.1 has the exact same issue with importing tracks numerically (all track 1's, then all track 2's, then all 3's, etc.) which leads to sorting issues that affect the collection. Without going through the whole thing again, this does not affect the initial collection copy from say 3.0 to 3.1, but anything new you add after the initial collection is transferred over.
    I didn't continue this thread back in January because honestly, there was no point. I was hoping that the issue might be worked out in future iterations. The method behind how the software imports files into the collection is not a user defined and fixable issue.
    So for now, as I have been, I have to stick with Tracktor 2.11.3 which does not have the same importing issue when adding new tracks to the collection. I'd really like to use Traktor 3.

18. Redz0ne

Redz0ne New Member

I gave up on this but thought I would have another look into what's happening. I think this is the issue:

V2 orders imported music by the "file" column, this is the full path of the file e.g. "c:/music/track.mp3"

V3 has now split the file column into two, we have "file name" and "file path".
    when importing music V3 orders the tracks by "file path" when it should really order by "file path" + "file name"

I can get screenshots to prove if anyone is interested?

19. Eeeevil

Eeeevil NI Product Owner

20. jopefunk

jopefunk NI Product Owner

Has this bug finally been reported to NI? It's driving me crazy every time I import tracks into Traktor.