1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Track Matching Key - what is the Traktor rule ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fracta, Oct 27, 2019.

1. fracta

fracta New Member

Hello,

can you explain how works the tracks suggestion based on key ? I can understand that Traktor propose a track with an adjacent key..but why proposing 6m track when you play a 12m track ?

thanks

Eric

2. Friedemann @ NI

Friedemann @ NI NI Team NI Team

If you pitch down 6m by one semitone you get to 11m, which is harmonically matching 12m :)

3. fracta

fracta New Member

Ok but do you have the full mapping ? Key algorithm logic behind ?

4. newflipcompany

newflipcompany New Member

Honestly I find it odd to think that you show this as an adjacent key. I know that the update came along with the ability to pitch up and down by exactly one step, but by default only the "typical" rules for compatible keys should apply. Of course an extra setting for this would be perfect. I can only speak for myself, but I would only use (if ever) the pitch up/down function in very rare occasions.

5. Tijn71

Tijn71 NI Product Owner

newflipcompany that is the reason why I do not use the keymatching function. First I learned to do it before this function was available. Second is that when adjacent key is on I get different keys then I normally would use, and that confused me because it did not follow the "normal rules" I learned.

6. newflipcompany

newflipcompany New Member

That is about the same for me. And I will better stick to the "old" way of doing this then being confused. You are absolutely right.

7. fracta

fracta New Member

Why the tracks proposed by Traktor are not with the adjacent key only ?
    What is the logic behind ?
    According to NI Video you have 3 choices per key ... not more ...
    But in TP3 it proposes you a 6m track when you play a 12m....why ?
    If I play 12m... and want to harmonic mix... the software should highlight only the track which are 1m, 11m or 12d. Nothing else.
    As explained in the NI VIDEO Here

8. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

That's what it does when you set Key Highlighting to "Only color matching keys". This thread is about what happens when you set it to "Also color adjacent keys". See also https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/adjacent-keys.357365/.

9. fracta

fracta New Member

Ok understood so maybe I misunderstood the word ADJACENT ... for me adjacent should be the key +\- 1