Tracklib - The Liberation of Sampling

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by goridread, May 3, 2017.

1. goridread

goridread NI Product Owner

Long-term Maschine user here (my mk1 is still going strong) that has been lurking and patiently hoping for real-time stretching and audio tracks just like most of you for many years now. I hope this email is ok and not breaking any rules here.

Anyway! The past few years I've been working REALLY hard trying to change the whole sampling game. We're create a new unique crate-digging service where every single song can be licensed at a fair price. This is NOT a sample library - this is "Impeach the President", Ray Charles, Ike Turner and tons of hidden gems - and they can all be fairly licensed for sampling release in MINUTES. No lawyer needed.

Check out our video with legends like Prince Paul and Hank Shocklee here:

And go to our site at http://tracklib.com and sign up - the beta is very private now but we're going to add as many of you as soon as we can. And send me an email at oskar@tracklib.com if you want to ask me something!

• Like Like x 2
  2. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

I'd love some background on how you are able to offer something like this in such a streamlined manner, is it just because you have the right's ahead of time or is there some other mechanism?

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

The only way to provide such service is having deals with all the labels and publishers.
    I find this amazing no doubt, but i am a bit skeptical abou the "fair price", you telling me i can sample James Brown and pay a low fee for the rights to use it and make a profitable and official release? Sounds way too good to be true but i hope it is.

Its sounds like you have to purchase the song to sample and then wait for some kind of approval and price tag to actually have the permission to use a sample from it... If you end up with a high price tag then you paid for nothing.

I registred and will wait to see how it works, it surely is interesting for those who have actual releases.

4. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

yep, the devils in the details. looking forward to your analysis.

5. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

So the "fair price" must depend not only on how you use the sample, but probably more on who the original artist is. I guess it makes sense to have a one-stop shop for all this. Just seems like a gamble if you end up making a hit track but in the end have to spend thousands to get rights to the sample. Will be interesting to see what artists and material they have in their library. Might give it a look.

6. toneyrome

toneyrome NI Product Owner

Samples as a service. I can dig it. How raer can you get? I sample some obscure tracks at times.

7. D-One

I guess so...
    In the normal procedure, usually the more the sample is obvious, similar to the original and more parts you take the more you pay, sometimes people are charged something ridiculous like 90% of royalties.
    The "who is the artist" matters and doesn't at the same time because who tags the price is the person with the publishing rights, and thats not the actual artist most times.

See the thing is for anything that you produce to later have a vocalist singing over your production and released on their Album makes them responsible for clearing the sample, usually the label. Producers are not the ones who pay for sample rights unless of course its your album.

Its still useful to have a quote on much someone will have to pay to the sample rights owner to get the track released tho.

8. goridread

Yes, we have deals with all the labels for all the music we have on there. It's been an extremely long journey to get here, I promise.

I don't want to share everything, but it works like this:
    1. Every single track on our service can be downloaded for $2. For that you get perfect 16bit WAV files to use in your own projects.
    2. If the sample really works for you and you want to release it - license it through our site. This price varies depending on how many seconds you want to use and the price category for the track, but for more than 90% of our catalogue it's $50 for a standard license.
    3. If you want to make money from your new recording you need to share a percentage of your revenues with the original rights holders (both publishers and labels) by publishing it. Basically just like any other song with a sample.

So this is not royalty-free music we're really trying to make sure everyone gets paid while every single musician of today - no matter if they're Kanye or a new Maschine user actually can sample classic tracks.

Btw, we're even trying to get some of the original separate multitracks for some of theses songs - things you've literally never heard before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. D-One

Thanks for the clarification. Wav? Multitrack? Oh lord... Sounds amazing and with a reasonable price. Looking forward to trying it out.

10. goridread

Thank you! And if you have any other questions - just let me know. I would also love to sponsor a beat battle using our tracks on the forum too. We could easily offer a license for the winner, for example.

Meanwhile - sign up! And if you like it - please share the video or the link! In order for this to work and to sign more labels we need all the help we can get!

11. D-One

No problem. Will do.
    Message @Mick @ NI , he is the person responsible for the battles. Cheers.

12. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...amzing service and I'm really looking forward to it. Quite often I browse through my record collection from the "pirate era" :D and I'm always a bit sad that some things can't done anymore - not that it could be legally back then.

However, I'm curious about that part - do you have a ballpark figure on that?

13. goridread

Sure, for what we call a normal sample - that's up to 15 seconds in total (cumulative, so that could be a few bars from one section, another few bars from another section and a few hits from somewhere else) you have to give up 25%. This doesn't change depending on how famous the artist is - it's the same percentage for Ray Charles as it is for obscure (but released - this is only released music, no stock music at all) artists from India.

The price differences are only for the initial licensing cost - and we've made it very simple and just have three price categories. A, B or C. Right now, 99% of our content is category C - the cheapest category. Including Ray Charles. The licensing cost for that category for a normal sample is $50.

And again, every single sample is only $2 to download and use - and even before you download any track you can see clearly what the license cost will be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

Thanks for the tag @D-One!

I like the sound of your project @goridread.
    I signed up, looking forward to be able to browse the tracks and see what is on there.
    Please reach out to me via PM, and we can discuss things for a future Beat Battle, would be really cool to have you guys play a part in this!

And out of curiosity: do you guys sample these tracks of vinyl, or do you get the originals from the right holders?
    Any more info on the multitracks, as this is something that many people would be interested in :)

15. goridread

@Mick @ NI - send me an email too so I know who you are and can move you up the queue. We're sending our first invites off today.

We get the original files from right holders. We're trying to get EVERYTHING - so some of, for example, our african music has been of not the best quality. But hey, I'm just happy to have that material there.

As for multitracks - we're trying to get everything we can, but have been focusing on getting the material that is easy to get first. We do have some multi-tracks already though. On that note, just yesterday I got lots of really amazing reggae separate vocal tracks from Fashion Records that I think you guys could make something amazing with, including from artists like Frankie Paul, Cutty Ranks and General Levy.

16. Mick @ NI

Thanks, done! Also contacted you in regard to the Beat Battles :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. GoGoGomez

GoGoGomez NI Product Owner

This will be an impressive coup, so much perhaps that I am skeptical.

18. goridread

It's something we've been working on for many years now, so it wasn't easy. We sure hope you'll like it as we start to invite more and more users.

19. Mick @ NI

As you should be, only trust your own opinion :)

I'm really ooking forward to getting in the Beta and seeing whats on there, how it works, and what people will do with it

20. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Signed up. I look forward to checking this out. Genius idea if it works! :thumbsup: :)

• Like Like x 1