Tracklib - The Liberation of Sampling

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by goridread, May 3, 2017.

1. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I'm also a bit sceptical, if and how this works (25% for both publisher & label or 25% for each - and what if you'd like to use four different samples? :eek::rolleyes::D:D). But, nevertheless, trying to establish such a service is an honourable undertaking and making the whole process fair & transparent for everyone is definitely a step into the right direction. :thumbsup: Not only would it be "just" a business service, but also improving cultural practice, so I guess, that Tom Silverman quote might not be an exaggeration.

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

From my understanding percentages will vary depending on what is used.
    Your question about multiple sources is quite pertinent, in a perfect scenario you submit all the samples and the website takes cares of getting all the price and % quotes from labels and right owners.

But even if thats the case you're shooting yourself in the leg if you sample 4 songs for a commercial release, approval will probably take much more time and most likely you will end up giving away most of the revenue.

I have a bunch of questions about this platform but im gonna hold them off until it starts operating

3. goridread

goridread NI Product Owner

Thank you for your kind words, and feel free to keep asking about anything. However, at this point I can't really talk about everything - that would ruin some of our current negotiations. I hope you understand. And remember to send me an email if you want to get ahead of the queue.

However, it's right - four long samples from Tracklib wouldn't work on a track.

What we've had to do is create a fully automated process - there are no negotiations or quotes here. You know even before you buy any audio file (for $2) what it will cost to license and what percentage you have to give up when you use it. We want to make sample licensing work for everyone in this forum - and I hope we have. Maybe having a good licensing lawyer would have given you a better deal for some of our tracks - but for most of us here that have never been an option. Now properly licensing your samples IS an option. That's what I think is great about what we're doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GoGoGomez

GoGoGomez NI Product Owner

If it's priced to just use one song to sample, this seems not so useful for sample based backing tracks and more geared to doing something like Puff Daddy's mashup/remake of Every Breath You Take by The Police.

Am I missing something?

5. D-One

I don't get your logic of just sampling one source having to be a mash up remake thing...

• Like Like x 1
  6. GoGoGomez

That's why I'm asking what I'm missing here.

What are you guys planning to do with access to one song? Use a bass line? Use a hook? Sliced one shots for breaks? I assume no one is doing this just to get a specific kick drum or stab etc.

Unless you want to ride on the fame of a recognizable hook, then you're just digging for sounds in which case this seems a lot more restrictive and expensive than simply buying sound packs and/or tweaking sections from your own productions.

(Obligatory edit):

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  7. D-One

Yeah you really missing the point here bro.

No, clearing a sample of a kick or snare doesn't happen, ever.
    Using a hook would probably be expensive since thats the central part of the song.

You sample some parts, chop it, play some stuff over it, basically work with it the same way any other normal sample dude... The only diference here is that you have Wav access and you can legally release the track and profit from it.

This is not for the average joe that illegally samples stuff and doesn't care. This is for people with actual real comercial releases.
    No one in their right mind releases commercial profitable music with uncleared samples, you get your ass sued lol

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  8. GoGoGomez

calm down that's what I said

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. D-One

How am I not calm? Ok then... If something came across as rude it was not my intention at all.

10. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Don't even bother...
    You came across as totally calm...

• Like Like x 1
  11. goridread

Let me try to explain more.

I didn't say that you were only allowed to use one song to sample from, but the more songs you use (especially if you use large chunks of each) the more of your rights you'll have to give up to the original rights-holders. And four tracks would probably not leave you with much left yourself. It's not a royalty-free service, we have to make something that works to actually get access to the songs from the publishers. They won't give up their music unless we have a system that works for them too.

Not sure how you guys work, but personally having for example 15 seconds to sample from a great track, that's quite a lot. I could slice a beat from two bars in one part of the song, and then use another completely different (say a horn section) section from the song for the chorus - and then have time left to add a stab or two. That, combined with my own sample library takes me quite far.

We're definitely not saying that it will work for everyone. If you do mashups where you want the whole song, it won't. If you're Hank Shocklee (GREAT guy, he's given us lots of good input!) back in 1988 and want to make "Night of the living Baseheads" with 20 different sample, it won't either. But we hope that we've created something that makes sampling for many people in this forum actually legal and possible. But we won't know that until you yourself have tried it and told us what you think, so sign up and send me an email if you really want to get in earlier.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GoGoGomez

Ahh, I missed that it (licensing fee) was more based on length rather than the user having rights to use the full track. So the $2 for the track is just to get the wav and play with it I assume?

If automated, and rights holders have qualms with specific sections, perhaps you could have a visual of the waveform and let the rights holder drag selection bars over sections they want to charge a premium rate. Or perhaps you also go free market and let them set the rates and adjust as wanted based on sales.

However I imagine many have already licensed to places like Spotify/Apple/label who may prohibit much of this.

13. goridread

Since it's fully automated it doesn't currently matter what part of the song they use. Of course the license agreement don't allow straight cover versions of the songs, however, and there are a set of other rules that I can't share in detail at this stage. The only price difference we have is that different songs are in different price categories. However, currently 95% of our music is in the least expensive category. I hope you will find that it's fair for everyone involved.

14. biggtiny

biggtiny New Member

Signed up, looking forward to trying the service out!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. goridread

Thought I'd let you guys know that we're opening up to more users now. We haven't started with the waiting-list, but if you want access just send me an email at oskar@tracklib.com and I'll make it happen as soon there's some room! <3

Last edited: May 31, 2017