1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Tractor DJ on Apple Air IOS7 Crashing/Freezing Mid Set

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ (for iPhone and iPad)' started by James Gray, Jan 8, 2014.

1. James Gray

James Gray New Member

I just recently purchased an iPad Air and the latest Traktor Kontrol S2 Mk2 with the intention of using it in my club performances. I have updated Mk2 firmware, and ensured that both the Air and the Traktor DJ software is up to date. Set up Drop Box and Sync as instructed.

Switched iPad to flight mode and did a trial set of around an hour or so. All seemed to be working well so I decided to go live at the club the following evening.

About two hours into the set everything crashed with the sound stuttering and both the Software and the Mk2 froze. Totally unresponsive touch screen and the level display on the Mk2 had frozen too.

As You Can imagine, If the groaning and the clapping from the floor wasn’t enough of an embarrassment, the stripping down from the promoter just put the icing on the cake.

Had to reset everything before I could finish the last half hour of my set.

Please can anyone advise me on what I might be doing wrong.

Many thanks, James Gray.

2. ardkor

ardkor Member

I had a total lock up with my Traktor DJ also. I have purchased an iPad Air & transferred everything over from my iPad 4. A few weeks ago it just froze during a mix, after selecting a tune from a playlist. No sound output, no graphical movement etc..
    When I closed the app and restarted it there was a pause, then it loaded 2 tunes I had had in originally from about 30 mins previous, so it was like it had some memory crash & reverted to a previous state.
    I did a full reset of the iPad after that and since I have not had the lock up problem, but I wouldn't be trusting it to DJ in a club in it's current state.

3. James Gray

James Gray New Member

Thanks, Will not be doing that again in a hurry. Will wait until we get the all ok from the other forum users.

4. henrikmaneuver

henrikmaneuver Member

Traktor Z1 + iPad Air crashes

Recently I had two crashes on my Traktor Z1 + iPad Air setup after weeks of performance without a glitch. It's exactly like you wrote James, randomly after selecting a tune from a playlist the application freezes and then crashes. Also the Z1 turns itself off and you have to do a fair amount of unplugging and re-plugging cables to get everything up and running again. The two auto-loaded songs are not the last one played, it's the songs that Traktor DJ started the session with.

The crashes are random without any pattern to them. It's very frustrating to now, after weeks of joy with the Z1 + iPad Air combination, being put in the situation that Traktor DJ can crash any minute. There was a fair amount of DJ hours between the crashes but twice in a few weeks is very worrying. There has also been a lot of visual lag / stutter lately, probably since the last update.

From now on I will re-start Traktor DJ before every gig from now on and see if it makes any difference. Sad that my new favorite setup has gone unstable.

5. James Gray

James Gray New Member

Thanks for your reply. I do agree that having to worry about when the next crash will come during a set really puts a downer on your performance. I really hope that our friends at NI manages to fix the problem asap.

6. henrikmaneuver

henrikmaneuver Member

I never had any visual stutter or crash before the 1.3.2 upgrade, now I'm on 1.3.3 and Traktor DJ feels very shaky. No audio drop outs but constant visual stutter. Just did a complete reset of my iPad Air, let's see what happens during the weekend. Lesson learned, will bring my old Pioneer / Rekordbox USB stick just in case Traktor goes belly up again...

7. thebeatworx

thebeatworx Forum Member

When did you guys start using iOS 7? I've never heard of a Z1 setup crashing... S2 with iOS 7 yes, but never a Z1...

8. sleeperaffect

sleeperaffect New Member

I got the crash twice this weekend with my S2. I normally spin records or DVS but when I'm flying and being super mobile it's sort of ideal for me to use the iPad + S2 combo. But man, if it keeps crashing I won't be able to use it with any "serious" gigs. What's the word, Traktor?

9. SherpaPsy

SherpaPsy NI Product Owner

What version are you on? I'm holding off on the 1.3.3 update for now.

10. henrikmaneuver

henrikmaneuver Member

I'm on 1.3.3, if you have a stable setup, I recommend to hold off. Through the normal audio output, not through the Z1, I get frequent pops and crackles. That is on a complete fresh install and with nothing running in the background.

11. sleeperaffect

sleeperaffect New Member

For people whose iPad is crashing: how much free space do you all have? I only had a half GB free and upon opening up a service ticket with NI they said I should have 1 GB+ free.

12. henrikmaneuver

henrikmaneuver Member

I have about 30 GB free. All clean iPad except for Traktor DJ + music.

13. James Gray

James Gray New Member

Same as above lots of free space and a clean iPad. Just wait for an upgrade that works.

14. djtsmooth

djtsmooth Forum Member

I would not suggest anyone at all using a s4 mk2 or s2 mk2 while at a gig. It simply doesn't work with any new ipads or ios 7. I am not sure if it is even working with older ipads that haven't been updated. But imo it just is not worth the risk.

15. trance alba

trance alba Forum Member

It's really just about there being issues with iOS 7 which you are forced to use on the iPad air, and first gen iPads being underpowered.

Any iPad thats not first gen and which you can have iOS 6 on, seems to be fine.

iPad mini included.

16. djtsmooth

djtsmooth Forum Member

The problem will be when apple forces you to upgrade to ios 7 which is what they are more or less doing with devices that can handle it. And like you said the devices that they will not move to ios 7 are not powerful enough to power the s4 and s2 anyway. I hope it gets sorted out. In the mean time I just can not see either one of these mk2 controllers being anywhere near gig capable. And I just do not see a solution in the near future. I hope I am wrong and this is just my opinion.