Traktor 1.2 and iOS 7 add two major features

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR DJ (for iPhone and iPad)' started by djneural, Jun 26, 2013.

1. djneural

djneural NI Product Owner

Hello,

Here are some features that were recently quite silently released on Traktor DJ as well as on Apple's iOS 7 beta.

Traktor 1.2: Route Master to sound card out and Pre-listen to headphone out.

In case you didn't notice, the recently released Traktor 1.2 adds a very useful feature : you can now use a dual channel sound card such as the Griffin iMic that I'm using or any other class compliant sound card and route the master on it while using the iOS device's headphone jack for pre-listening, eliminating the need to buy a more expensive 4 channel sound card to mix and pre-listen in stereo (without splitting).

iOS 7: Use class compliant USB sound cards with iPhone through the camera connection kit just like on the iPad.

I tested the latest beta 2 of iOS 7 and tried using my camera connection kit to connect my Griffin iMic audio card with my iPhone 5. Unlike in the earlier versions, the sound card was recognized by iOS as well as the latest version of Traktor (v1.2) for iPhone. It means that you can now bring just your iPhone (or I presume, your iPod touch) and mix/pre-listen in stereo with dual stereo outputs using a simple two channel audio card such as the Griffin iMic or other class compilant cards.

Both features are very good news for Traktor DJ users, I tested them and I can confirm they work fine on my iPad 2 and on my iPhone 5.

BTW, ordered the Z1 and can't wait to play with it !

2. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Agreed, these are excellent additions to the feature set.

Just for clarity I would just say that they are mentioned in the "What's New" section on both iPad and iPhone product pages on iTunes.

Karlos

3. djneural

Sûre it's mentioned in release notes, so are the improvements for the split mode, but looking at the forums, I thought few people actually noticed it, so I wanted to highlight it.

As for the iOS 7 improvement I think I might be the first to have tested this. It used to work only with Apple certified devices such as the Vestax Spin 2 but it now also works with any class compliant sound card just like with the iPad.

Unfortunately, Apple did not activate the photo import feature on the iPhone yet though.
    ---
    Would be cool if the feature also appeared on TSP btw, would be helpful in some situations where we don't have all the heavy hardware and currently need to play with aggregate devices to do that.

4. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Yeah, cool.

Apart from the TDJ testing team. We have iOS7 testers ;)

I think that is a good idea. Although NI are fearful of allowing multiple soundcard use in TPRO due to latency issues.

5. djneural

Agreed, certainly not the first person in the world to have tested iOS 7 :) though maybe the among first to have noticed this Camera Kit/USB sound card compatibility on the iPhone as I couldn't find anyone talking about it on the net.

As for the TSP support for multiple sound cards, it would be more of an emergency or occasional use feature than a Pro setup one. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be very useful though :)

The only hardware product that might be impacted from this feature would be the Traktor Audio 2 which anyway needs some refresh to get iOS compatibility with a class compilant chip and some proper connectivity.