Traktor 2.7.3 wild pitch fluctuations when using control vinyl

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by aep, Apr 4, 2015.

1. aep

aep New Member

I apologize for my introductory thread being for a problem, but I feel like I have exhausted all options and tech support feels more compelled to get off the phone than help me resolve my issue. and frankly, I've not had a problem I couldn't solve up until now.

windows 7 64bit
    intel i5-2520 2.5 GHz
    4GB RAM
    New stylus/needle
    New mixer
    New control vinyl
    Decks just back from service

...I have been a traktor user for 8 years. started out on the first version with XP, and it was rock solid for ages. then I upgraded my laptop to the current one, an HP6460b. all of the sudden, deck B would start bouncing all over the place, I'm talking pitch fluctuations that are wild and unpredictable, not like what I usually see when using 1210s and the control vinyl, which has never been an issue. it reports the vinyl is skipping, audio levels are low, etc. here are a couple videos of it:

crazy. my first move was to replace my needles, they were worn out. no dice. so, I upgraded traktor to version 2. same problem. so, I took my decks in for a service. minimal work was needed, they are solid. so, I replaced my mixer, because I noticed how low the input levels were in the calibration window. I needed to replace the mixer and needles anyway, but I was hoping that the issue was somehow related to them. still, the same problem with deck B. no issues with deck A.

I have basically a new system except for my decks, which have now been serviced by a reputable business and tech. I have tweaked windows per the NI site. I have taken the tech's recommendations and have disabled the network adapters. no fix. I have taken ALL their recommendations, like:

USB buffer at 3ms
    process buffer at 512
    etc

..these are things I shouldn't even have to do with this processor and RAM. this DOES NOT happen with regular vinyl, only when using the control vinyl to play files via traktor. I don't know what else to do. I don't want to bash NI, but to call their techs helpful feels like a bit of a stretch.

I'm a loyal and previously happy traktor user who just wants to have a mix. I mean I really, really want to have a mix... but I can't, because if I want to play files off traktor, deck B bounces around like someone is thumping the turntable. I have taken every recommendation and have even gone beyond- again, my system is practically new at this point. I am not past taking this particular deck back to the place that serviced it, but I have detailed notes from the tech, where the tone arm bearing was cleaned, lubed, etc. it was binding slightly, but that is reported as fixed. and this just doesn't happen with regular vinyl. BUT I keep coming back to why this only happens with one deck. but not with regular vinyl, only when using the control vinyl and digital files.

I've searched the Inet and have not had much luck finding anyone who has had this issue, or the resolution. so, I thought I would appeal to this community. sorry for the book, and sorry for this being my first post.

2. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

the pitch fluctuations occur right at the moment your timecode quality drops, that's obvious. now, the task is to find the origin of the quality drop.

a) traktor records? please try to find out (using absolute mode) if the issues occur always at the same time. if not, try using the other side or (in rel mode) another part of the record. does it persist?

b) needles/turntable? i know that you serviced your decks etc, but have a look at the tonearm weight. try another needle brand. what about the contacts in the tonearm? what about the cables? does anything change?

c) not sure if bad inputs of the soundcard can cause this. if possible, try using a traktor soundcard of a friend to find out if that makes a difference.

d) i actually just read this week of someone (in the german board, iirc) who sent in his laptop and there was sth bad with the cpu, which directly was responsible for the same issues you encounter. so the computer cant be ruled out here neither.

3. Jackpot Slot Machine

Jackpot Slot Machine NI Product Owner

please expand on "something wrong with the CPU".

I have the same issue and have exhausted every line of enquiry, I have a old thread open but no-one from NI has even commented.

4. aep

aep New Member

i figured it out. it was the tonearm weight. even after servicing and calibration (which was likely optimally set for playing vinyl), the weight was too heavy for the control vinyl. so, experimented with lowering the weight until the behavior stopped.

i had tried this pre-servicing the decks, but no weight setting seemed to work. i am guessing the binding of the tonearm bearing was the issue, and the weight needed to be set to a level that did not affect traktor's ability to read from the coded vinyl.

5. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

thx for the info @aep
    @Jackpot Slot Machine - i dont know more. the user just said so in another thread (in the german board) and didnt specify. are you in contact with NI support?

6. soulguru

soulguru NI Product Owner

I have the same Issue but with deck a.
    usually says low timecode quality...then it crap out.
    or my decks will flash low input signal.
    it all started with this update.
    I hope NI will get it together.

7. deejaysoul

deejaysoul NI Product Owner

I recently have been dealing with a similar issue, not as drastic as yours. I managed to resolve most of them except for one. I had ground and low signal issues.

What help me, was resetting the height of my Ortofon's based on recommendation (maybe it can be applied to other needles too), , set the height so the bottom of the needle is parallel to the CV. Basically dont use the numbers provided, since it can vary depending how thick your slipmats and vinyl are. I also reversed my internal ground wire, that I originally had for years before Traktor, but Im still testing this (one deck has internal ground and the other has a wire to the mixer). Besides balancing the tonearms, my issues have resolved themselves.

Now Im dealing with a slight unsteady bpm, I made a quick video showing this showing that ground wire versus internal ground doesnt seem to make a difference (for now).

8. Jackpot Slot Machine

Jackpot Slot Machine NI Product Owner

I had done all that with no improvement (as described fully in another thread) , things got a bit better with 2.8.0/ 2.8.1 but there's no rush anymore, after almost a decade of using TSP I switched over to Serato .. and guess what .. no fluctuations on the same kit (obviously the sound-card and CV have been changed).

Nothing wrong with my hardware as I expected, there's something wrong in the NI code.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

i use the mk1 vinyl as I can't be bothered to buy the mk2 vinyl and I have no issues

10. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

did you try switching turntable a to b ?

11. deejaysoul

deejaysoul NI Product Owner

I already have the MK2 vinyls, since they came with the mixer.

But Im learning that this issue it common and the ways it is how it till NI changes how BPM is reflected too be so accurate of the TTs W&F.