1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor 2 + New Macbook Pro Problem

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by brodie500, Nov 2, 2011.

1. brodie500

brodie500 New Member

Recently i upgraded to a macbook pro (15in early 2011 base model) and i installed Traktor 2.1.1 onto it alright.

Ever since, in traktor the waveform lags and glitches as it moves across the screen for about 30 sec then it will go smooth again and if i use hot cues and scratch (I HAVE A TRAKTOR S4) it will provoke it to lag and glitch again.

Also, traktor uses about 40% - 50% of my Macbook's Cpu weather its on multicore mode or not.

I am very disappointed as i thought getting the macbook pro would make all my problems go away but its quite the opposite.

Does anyone else suffer from the same problem, or similar?

Help would be much appreciated, because i find it hard to watch as is lags across the screen and watch as my cpu suffers on a MACBOOK :S...

It makes me want to use my windows laptop which worked fine even with the new update.

Thank you!

2. sajby

sajby NI Product Owner

Downgrade 2.0.3?

3. brodie500

brodie500 New Member

where from? when i got the mac i downloaded the only version which was 2.1.1

thanks for the quick reply

4. sajby

sajby NI Product Owner

Support-Updates-log in(N.I.account pass) and boom :)

5. -peterp-

-peterp- Forum Member

Check System Preferences > Energy Saver > Graphics. If not set, switch to Higher performance. If already there, then downgrade Traktor and post the results =)

6. brodie500

brodie500 New Member

ok, thanks guys
    i downgraded by downloading the 2.0.3 upgrade thanks sajby :)
    and that pretty much fixed everything it still uses about 25% but thats probably normal now. its a Core i7 2.0 Quad Core Sandy Bridge MBP 15... but with 2.0.3 it doesn't use multi core so i guess i will wait for the next stable release of 2.1.x

-peterp- ...And for the waveform lag i found it was a lot better in the downgraded version and it helped when i put the latency down to 128 it now runs smoothly. and i don't have a graphics option in the system preferences only the automatic switching (different coz i got lion?) and i tried that off when i had 2.1.1 and it didn't make any difference but thanks :D

Is it normal that me changing the latency down affects the waveforms flow?

I'll just the wait for the stable update now so i can use the sample decks with key lock.

But is the cpu still abnormally high? What latency do you guys run yours at?
    ---
    oh and i just read that my macbook pro, because it is quad core, in the activity monitor traktor reaches somewhere like 25% but that a really small amount because the i7 has 400% of total usage but traktor 1.0.3 can only use up 100% because of non-multicore support.

right? :s

if so that puts my mind at ease :D

7. -peterp-

-peterp- Forum Member

in lion it is Automatic graphics switching - turn it off so you always use the high performance graphics card. btw I think some MBP models had rather specific issues with the graphics cards. Google for your exact model + graphics. last thing - can you get exactly the same setup for comparison? I would think it may also be caused by some hw malfunction (RAM, overheating GPU/CPU caused by lack of thermal paste due to the age, etc.)

8. brodie500

brodie500 New Member

thanks, well its perfectly fine on 2.0.3 for now.

but it should be fine for now and i haven't even had to for a week yet.

9. dj.knut1

dj.knut1 NI Product Owner

Hi i post here as i have the same "problem" with high cpu use.

new mac pro 13.3 (i5 2,3ghz) traktor pro2 2.1.1 (os x 10.6.8)

As this is my first mac ever, i was supriest that it uses so mutch cpu (40-55 %) compared to my i5 2,4 pc (10-20 %) , but so far no problems with how it works, so i think i stay with 2.1.1 as long as the "cpu" remains the only problem ;)

Is there a "how to setup your mac" treed any where that i can read ?

10. jiggle

jiggle Forum Member

I think you divide the percentage by the number of cores to get the true usage.
    So if its a quad core divide your 55% by 4 = 13.75 %

I think that's how it works?

11. brodie500

brodie500 New Member

everything is working fine on my macbook screen. But whenever i use the thunderbolt port for my vga screen traktor 2.1.1 and traktor 2.0.3 both lag especially when i use hotcues so i'm guessing its a lion bug or maybe radeon since it only happens when using the discrete graphics.

but its fine if i use the intel hd 3000 intergrated on just my macbook screen. so hopefully will/can be fixed in a future update.

and dj.knut1 from what i read for every core your computer has it adds 100% to the activity monitor so i have 4 cores which mean my macbook can use a total of 400% and traktor takes about 50% which is not much out of 400% like what jiggle said. but since the macbook pro 13" only come in dual core thats a total 200% and it only uses 50% which is nothing to be worried about not even a quarter. :)

12. dj.knut1

dj.knut1 NI Product Owner

thanks for the answer :) btw i have now updated to "lion" and and cpu load is now 25-30 % / 2 = 12,5-15 % so that is very good

13. Simon Brants

Simon Brants New Member

where can I find the 2.0.3? I have problems with the 2.1.1 mostly with the sync and the bpm that acts strange... please help.

14. perversity

perversity NI Product Owner

I've had to revert back to 2.0.3 for the same issues. I'm doing this "beat juggling" routine with cue points, and it works fine for small increments. But the waveform is a blurry and sometimes the audio cuts out. I'm running Lion on a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with an S4 controller.
    Switching back to 2.0.3 fixed all of this for me

15. Weißer Bart

Weißer Bart NI Product Owner

Am I right in thinking that people are getting better performance with Lion than Snow Leopard?

Massive CPU problem here with all TSP 2 versions.

Unfortunately my machine won't run Lion.