Traktor 3.2 and Ableton Link Down beat sync

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by sijaffer, Jul 13, 2019.

1. sijaffer

sijaffer NI Product Owner

Hi,

Anyone having issues with Ableton picking up on the half down beat when Linke with Traktor 3.2? I have Traktor 3.2 and Ableton 10 running on the same computer. Below is my setup:

Macbook Pro 2019 Intel i9 32 GB 1TB SSD
    OSX 10.14.5
    Traktor 3.2
    S4 MK3
    Steinberg UR12 Interface for Ableton.
    Novation Launchpad

Traktor connected to S4 MK3 and Ableton connected to Steinberg UR12. A Novation Launchpad is also connected to control Ableton.
    Steps:
    1. Click on Link on Traktor
    2. Click on Link on Ableton
    3. Start a song on Traktor
    4. Press a trigger on Novation to start Ableton

Ableton never starts on the down beat of the song, its always off beat. Any ideas on this?

Cheers,

Sameer Jaffer

2. wapperen

wapperen NI Product Owner

Hello,

maybe page 90 and 91 could 'fix' your problem?

gr Henri

3. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Link should use...
    Master tempo not deck tempo
    Beat sync
    A slightly higher buffer. If you use 256 then try 512.
    To match the actual downbeat (The one) there is some other info page 96 of the Traktor3 manual.
    Of course all tracks need the grid to be correct. But I am sure you know that.
    Also suggested is an ethernet cable instead of wireless to the computer.
    Also the Ableton site has more info of course.

4. sijaffer

Thank you guys, I will check the manuals, zephry, both the applications are on the same Macbook pro, can that be problematic? Also, when you say Grid, which grid are you talking about?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 12:08 AM
  5. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

I have used Link with Ableton and Traktor on the same laptop. But it was a while ago and it maxed out my cpu real quick. I haven't tested my new laptop.
    Maybe the latency settings need to be higher since you are using two audio applications on the same computer.
    The grid is just making sure Traktor has the track analyzed correctly and the beatgrid is lined up.
    Also some tracks set the downbeat wrong after being analyzed, this is because of silence or strange intros in tracks. So make sure you set the downbeat manually in Ableton and Traktor on tracks.
    If you are not sure how to do that and just rely on the audio software to get it right after analyzing you definitely will have some tracks that won't line up correctly.
    Definitely read the manual about setting beatgrids. There are also tutorials on YouTube. I think the Native Instruments YouTube channel also has some tutorials for all this as well.
    You also might check the Support link at the top of this forum and do a search for anyone else that has had trouble with Link.
    I have found a lot of direct answers from NI by searching the support area.

6. sijaffer

Thanks for your reply and guidance zephry, really helps. I was playing with Traktor and Ableton on my Macbook Pro 2019 with the changes suggested and it worked like a charm. just need to get the Grid stuff properly worked out and I think I may have it working perfectly.

7. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Just for anyone else browsing this thread...what exactly worked for you?

8. sijaffer

Sorry for the delayed message. So, I was able to get Traktor and Ableton to Sync using Link on the same macbook pro. I changed the Traktor to 512 sample rate and changed to BeatSync from TempoSync (yet havent figured out what affect this will have from my previous djing experance as it was by default on TempoSync). On Ableton, I need to figure out two things now,

1. How to be able to change the Master Tempo from the tempo sliders on each deck (if its possible and/or if its a good idea)
    2. Map a Reset the Downbeat to one of the Keys on another or S2/S4 device.
    3. And Fix/Correct some BeatGrid(s) on certain songs

Hope this helps, I will try to release a video when I have it working, lets see how it goes.

Cheers,

Sameer Jaffer

Macbook Pro 2019 Intel i9 32 GB 1TB SSD
    OSX 10.14.5
    Traktor 3.2
    S4 MK3
    Steinberg UR12 Interface for Ableton.
    Novation Launchpad

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:52 PM