Traktor 3.2 Increased CPU Load - Audio Dropouts During Gig

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Dickins, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

Hi,

I updated to 3.2 yesterday just before a gig hoping for a little more stability and to make use of some of the exciting new features. I am using Final Scratch 2 in connjunction with a Toshiba Portege Laptop with a 1.3Ghz processor and 752MB RAM. Haven't had a problem before, but when playing and adding the next track to whichever deck I was cueing up on (only 2 decks - not 4), the analyse track function which occurs in the background sent my CPU into the red. This caused audio dropouts and loud buzzing which embarrassed the hell outta me. Is there no way to throttle the amount of CPU overhead used to perform functions which aren't as important as a clean uninterrupted signal playing out of the master outputs?

Don't tell me I gotta buy a new laptop NI!!!

Also, I have implemented all NI's tips for optimization on Windows (except for disable hibernation)

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Dickins

2. Thesorus_Tf

Thesorus_Tf Forum Member

first, disable the background analysis.

second, disable the background analysis.

third, disable the background analysis.

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

lol...

but this is true, background analysis is nothing for going live.
    why not analyze your tracks beforehand?

anyways, please contact the NI support on that.

4. vagabond

vagabond NI Product Owner

750 meg RAM is anemic - try to upgrade to at least 1 gig.

For your existing RAM, how are you allocating the cache? This is new in v3.2 - you have to allocate cache size for all four decks even if you are only using 2 decks.

-vagabond

5. rocdollar

rocdollar NI Product Owner

I am a little concerned about this too. When loading files sometimes the windows egg timer comes up and the GUI freezes while it loads. The music continues but it is very unnerving waiting for control to come back.

6. tricade

tricade NI Product Owner

i have the same problem

7. spiritouk

spiritouk Forum Member

Changing playlists and loading tracks does seem to be taking a lot longer with Traktor 3.2.

I too get the slight freeze

8. rocdollar

Not just changing playlists but sorting too takes much longer :S

9. ttauri

ttauri NI Product Owner

Same on my 1.67ghz g4 powerbook. Loading is very pokey compared to previous versions, and the GUI freezes and stutters. Putting the track caching down to minimums improves things for me, though I should have the RAM (1.5gb) to cover larger caches OK.

Peece,
    T. Tauri

10. rocdollar

Ah ok.. well I had my caches set to as large as the program would let me. I will try reducing their size but this is not an ideal solution :(

It was during this egg-timer that I had a fatal error with T3 though. As some others have reported I had to force the unresponsive program to close and when i reloaded Traktor I nearly crapped myself because it said 2300+ tracks were missing or corrupt!!

Luckily after restarting the program all the ! marks dissappeared and I was back in action. For a minute though I was wishing I had backed up my music before upgrading...

Now I just wait for the track to load without trying to cue up any further GUI commands during the egg-timer phase but it still feels hit and miss during this time...Does nothing for the nerves!

11. deeflash

deeflash NI Product Owner

I have noticed the same problems occuring...

I thought it was a pc issue so I have upgraded all my drivers and my laptop is rocking now (actually using the intel chipset drivers, woohoo!!) but I still have the same problem with it slowing down CPU load going to 99% with traktor. I know it's not the pc because I can mix all day long with ableton live and experience nothing higher than 20% in cpu load.

laptop:

dell inspiron 8500
    intel pentium 4m 2.4ghz
    1gig ram
    60 gig hard drive (defragged multiple times while trying to troubleshoot)
    250 gig Western Digital MyBook USB drive (defragged also)
    Behringer BCD2000

Tried with usb hub, without usb hub, without the BCD2000... with the BCD2000... without any usb devices... all the same... works great for the first 2-4 tracks... then it starts to slow down more and more...

my Cache is set to 128 A&B and 8 for the C&D.

Thanks in advance!
    Chris

12. MixMasterMark

MixMasterMark NI Product Owner

I get the same issue with the gui freezing when loading or sorting a playlist. This especially happens when loading the main track collection.

Frequently I want to think outside the box and throw the crowd off by looking at my track collection after playing a few gems from my playlists and pick something i feel could work at the moment. With that said, either I have a track in mind and sort by title or artist. Other times I'll even want to surprise myself and sort by bpm and see what comes up. In any case the gui freezes and becomes 'unnerving' as rocdollar put it.

So far I've put up with it for 5 weeks now and it always comes back but it takes away from my creativity and fun to always have to be in ‘worry’ mode.

I seem to be more creative in the studio when there isn’t an audience. This is a drawback since moving from vinyl. My only worry then was a skip which was rare. And even with that there was minimal recovery time if even noticeable. Now the whole club will look if the music turns off!

I have 2 GB of memory and only have 128 MB cache set for each deck. As far as analyzing, all my tracks are analyzed in the studio. At first I let the system run for days to analyze the entire collection and now when I get something new from the record pools, I’ll analyze them all before I even listen to them and add to playlists. It just feels safer that way.

`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
    ~ Mix Master Mark ~
    Dell Latitude Pentium M, 2GB Memory, 80GB int. Hard Drive
    Dell 24" FlatPanel 2405FPW
    Windows XP PRO SP2 w/ all latest updates
    NI Traktor 3.2.0.080
    2 Maxtor OneTouch III's (Totaling 1 mirrored TB), Firewire 800
    Stanton ScratchAmp 2
    LaCie FireWire 800 PCMCIA card w/ Windows TI driver
    M-Audio USB Trigger Finger, Firewire 410
    2X - Technics SL1200MD3
    Denon - DN-X1500 Mixer, DN-S5000 CD Players
    Roland MC-909
    Ableton Live 5.0.3
    Behringer - UB1202, DEQ2496, VMX 300
    Alesis 3630
    DBX DDP
    Aphex 204

13. Kirk Smeaton

Kirk Smeaton NI Product Owner

I'm confused about the settings for the cache now - I just went as high as possible (128mb for A and B and 8mb for C and D) but do I gather that this can make Traktor less stable rather than more so?

14. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

It sounds to me that you are the lower end of the performance scale in terms of computing power. By going to the max on the deck caching, you could be compounding the problem of not analysing your tracks before using them.

I would:

Set the deck cache lower
    Reduce the time stretch quality
    Analyse tracks before using them
    Turn off key correction if needs be
    Use only two of the decks
    Don’t go to mad on the FX

Basically, you are asking a lot from a 1.3 processor, and maxing out the cache will leave less for other functions.

15. deeflash

deeflash NI Product Owner

My cpu is 2.4 ghz, I have all my tracks already analyzed, time stretch is set to low, and I tried not pitch bending any tracks at all. No FX also. Same result...

16. MixMasterMark

Is this a clean install? Meaning this is how my laptop was done...

1) The factory install from Dell on the hard drive was deleted, hard drive formatted and reinstalled Just Windows. (even unchecked games, MSN, Outlook, accessibility, etc.

2) No other 3rd party software is installed (not even antivirus)

3) No Printers, No nothing.

4) Windows tuning tips Posted Here

5) Install Traktor and any drivers or software relating to your professional work i.e. ScratchAmp, Firewire, MIDI devices, etc.

6) Networking Disabled (enables only in the studio, not live)

~ Mix Master Mark ~

17. vagabond

I'm wondering a couple of things regarding everyone's reports on how slow the loading is taking.

CPU speed is irrelevant regarding the loading; rather, bus speed is what's important i.e. a faster bus speed allows the selected track to be loaded into RAM much quicker.

So, how fast is everyone's bus speed?

Also, is the video sharing the RAM on your machines (like the all the macminis, the macbook and lowest end iMac)? As for windows boxes, same principle. Shared memory will slow you down considering the new approach in Traktor v3.2 with respect to RAM caching. In fact, my 1st gen macmini could not load songs in 4 mixer mode while using all four decks in under 10 seconds - even with the max memory (1gig).

I bought a new iMac Core2Duo a few months ago for performance reasons. At first, it was a bit slow loading songs with the stock 1Gig ram (2x512M). And that's at 667MHz bus speed and with it's own 128M video RAM.

Anyways, I upgraded to 2Gig RAM (2x1Gig) and things are flying now. My new Cache settings are 256M for A and B, and 128M for C and D.

No more sluggish performance. Looks like v3.2 is on the RAM hungry side.

18. MixMasterMark

How do you fing the bus speed of the memory? I know my processor is Pentium M Dothan, 2GHZ, 2 MEGB, 400FSB.

19. MixMasterMark

It was in my Bios.

Memory = 2048 MB @ 266 MHz
    CPU = 2.00 GHz @ 600 MHz
    Video = 32 Mb - Not Shared - ATI Radeon 9000

`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
    ~ Mix Master Mark ~
    Dell Latitude Pentium M 2GHz, 2GB Ram, 80GB int. Hard Drive
    Windows XP PRO SP2 w/ all latest updates
    LaCie FireWire 800 PCMCIA card w/ Windows TI driver
    Dell 24" FlatPanel 2405FPW
    NI Traktor 3.2.0.080 | Ableton Live 5.0.3
    2 Maxtor OneTouch IIIs (Totaling 1 mirrored TB)
    Stanton ScratchAmp 2 | Roland MC-909
    M-Audio USB Trigger Finger, Firewire 410
    Denon - DN-X1500 Mixer, DN-S5000 CD Players
    Technics - SL1200MD3 Turntables
    Behringer - UB1202, DEQ2496, VMX 300
    Alesis 3630 | DBX DDP | Aphex 204

20. vagabond

MMM,

That's it - your bus speed is 400MHz Front Side Bus. I'm not that familiar with the myriad of wintel architectures available. A google should do wonders for you. Also, find out what kind of ram you are using and then google it.

-vagabond

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.