Traktor 3.2 Increased CPU Load - Audio Dropouts During Gig

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Dickins, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vagabond

vagabond NI Product Owner

MMM,

I find it interesting that your RAM speed is different than your bus speed. I am not familiar with the myriad of wintel architectures but for my iMac my RAM speed = BUS speed (667MHz).

I'm not saying that you're doing anything wrong, merely making an observation that, given the data you reported, your RAM runs slower (266MHz) than your FRONT SIDE BUS (400MHz).

I think for performance issues like these, it behooves us all to look more closely at the architecture of our machines.

Even at the specs of my iMac, I found 1Gig to be sluggish when loading a song and performance was not great (I had to select lower cache sizes too).

It's much better now that I upgraded to 2 Gig RAM.

It seems that HW upgrades are in the future for alot of us - especially wintel folks that will upgrade to Vista.

As for the new Cache feature itself, I like it. When in Snap Mode, I can click anywhere in the waveform and make an immediate, seamless jump. Pretty cool!.

Oh, one more thing I remember reading in Phil's post regarding "Getting Ready for v3.2": The new ram feature does require some CPU processing when loading mp3 files since the program actually converts the song into PCM data, not native mp3. That requires CPU cycles to convert from mp3 to full-blown PCM.

-vagabond

2. MixMasterMark

MixMasterMark NI Product Owner

Yeah. I don’t know what to make of it now that you pointed this out. And even if that's fine by win-dell standard, is a 266MHz throughput fine for NI/T3 standard. I thought my machine was pretty kick ass... till now :/

Totally agreed; I also think that it should become part of the specs for hardware recommendations. This is what’s posted on the T3 Home Page

System Requirements
    Windows XP SP 2, Pentium III 1 GHz/ Athlon XP 1.4 GHz, 512 RAM

I just can't see a successful club gig with that!

I bought the laptop with 512 Ram and used it for basic email and stuff. when I converted it to a music workstation it bombed. Traktor wouldn't even play a song without pops and such. After upgrading it to 2GB Ram, I've had to date 8 successful public club gigs and 1 2006 NYE party for 400 people and not a glitch during performing with Traktor. (Well at least nothing the crowd noticed)

I'll admit, I'm a little easier and cautious during performing but in the studio, I attack and that’s where I see most issues.

Ugh! I'm always feeding the monster! It's my crack :)

Yes the new feature is very nice. I also noticed that I now have better spinback. I used to spin back to get back to cue and the song would jump back to the beginning of the song. Now it holds its place. Love it.

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

perform a search for *disable ACPI* - cured all my suffers when i kind of maxed out my old acer.

4. vagabond

vagabond NI Product Owner

Don't know this for sure, but a logical assumption would be that there are other things hanging off the FSB (other than RAM) so your machine is spec'd to have RAM slower than the max FSB speed in order to share the bus.

If you're really curious, look up the architecture of your laptop motherboard.

-vagabond

5. MixMasterMark

Thanks. Done did that trick. Here are two nice links for tweaking your workstations...

Link 1

Link 2

6. MixMasterMark

Curiosity may have killed the cat but made its offspring smarter :)

I'll look into it because I'm learning that just buying what’s marketed as the bad-ass or fastest may not be all it's hyped up to be.

Thanks for your input!

~ Mix Master Mark ~

7. MixMasterMark

Curiosity may have killed the cat but made its offspring smarter :)

I'll look into it because I'm learning that just buying what’s marketed as the bad-ass or fastest may not be all it's hyped up to be.

So far it looks like I'll need a new laptop. Now it just a matter of which to buy...

Thanks for your input!

~ Mix Master Mark ~

8. MixMasterMark

That was odd. Like the Matrix (seeing things twice). Ignore the 00:00 post.

~ Mix Master Mark ~

9. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

for the ACPI disabling - please note that in battery mode your computer wont send you any warning message if the battery is empty - it just shuts down - boom. so have a keen look at the battery level, if you're sitting at the airport waiting for your plane and meanwhile beatgridding tracks (i'm talking from own experience here) ;-)

10. MixMasterMark

I noticed that the battery indicator no longer showed next to the time. I was wondering if the alarms still worked and the clean Standby would take effect if the battery's got too low.

Thanks for confirming it doesn't :)

The strange thing is that I can no longer even see the battery levels. When I boot without a power cable plugged in, I still says 'On AC Power' next to the time. When I used to double click it it would show the battery levels. Now It just opens the power schemes and there is no battery levels tab there as well. I'm flying by the seat of my pants in this mode. I;m wondering how much I'm saving by keeping this ACPI disabled. I rarely use the laptop in battery mode. but when I do, hmm... I'll have to watch the clock and know I have about 2 hours.

Thanks for the input native_girl!

~ Mix Master Mark ~

11. FJDJ

FJDJ NI Product Owner

same to me,

and also when browsing through the browser tree ( playlist, music folder) from up to down or viceversa.

when changing from a folder to another in a quick way the gui freezes and gets me panic, but sound is not affected.

HP 1,8 mhrz
    1,5 ram
    3.2 traktor
    final scratch 2
    X session

12. Kirk Smeaton

Kirk Smeaton NI Product Owner

you could always do what I do and have two separate hardware profiles (you can set it up in Control Panel/System under the Hardware tab) - one with ACPI and one without

13. MixMasterMark

Thanks. Thats a good Idea.

~ Mix Master Mark ~

14. rocdollar

rocdollar NI Product Owner

Wait for the patch I reckon :S No ETA on it as of yet either I'm afraid.

15. deeflash

deeflash NI Product Owner

I turned off analyzing on load and lowered my cache size to 128meg... now it's not converting the mp3 data to PCM on load so I am able to mix successfully, unfortunately I don't have the ability to hot-jump throughout my songs though even though I upgraded my RAM specifically for this purpose... oh well, I'm waiting to see what comes about with the patch... the best part is I can still use 3.2 now to mix live (even tried with 4 decks and it's flawless once I changed my cache size!)

16. rocdollar

rocdollar NI Product Owner

Same here - coming down to 128 seems to have sped it up a lot for me. Now I don't have time to make a cup of tea while the program initialises each deck anyway.. :)

You can work around the cache limitation by dragging the track into another deck and setting the cursor where you want it. Then you will have the bit you want cached and ready to roll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.