1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor 3.3 effects and upcoming update

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by Thomas @ NI, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas @ NI

Thomas @ NI Administrator NI Team

Hi everybody,

Here is a quick update on behalf of the Traktor team. They have of course looked closely at all the feedback regarding Traktor 3.3 in general and the effects section in particular. Here is what I can tell you at this time:

There is a 3.3.1 update in the making that will fix specific bugs in the effect section (eg. beatmasher volume jump, amount parameter scaling), as well as some other non-effect related issues that have popped up. More details on this in the near future.

The feedback on the conceptual changes to the effects section shows that the Traktor community is divided, with people both in the pro and con camp about the benefits of the new delay and some other effect algorithm changes compared to version 3.2. The Traktor team is currently at the drawing board to find a solution that accomodates users from both camps in the best possible way. So you will very likely also find changes along those lines in 3.3.1, but I can't say much more about it right now because this is still being worked out on a conceptual level.

So much for now, thanks for bearing with us and thanks for everyone who provided constructive feedback on this. Your feedback was - and will be - heard and taken into account. We will keep you posted.

Regards, Thomas

2. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

Your response AND responsiveness are much appreciated!

3. 2manyTHRILLS

2manyTHRILLS Forum Member

Thanks for the heads-up.

4. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

Thanks Thomas - great to hear some feedback as to NI's plans.

5. Uto5

Uto5 NI Product Owner

routing sends like TS

will there be the opportunity to use the effects routing like on TS

ex. send the effects output to channels , 5/6 - 7/8

6. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

VCI-100 Effects Layout

How about changin the effects layout back to the way they were in 3.2 wth the 'on' button being at the far right. The new layout has made a mess of the harware layout on the VCI-100.

Thanks for your consideration.

7. Uto5

Uto5 NI Product Owner

you can do this from the midi page of trakor... you can change all the midi controls if you like

so that's not a big... problem

8. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

You can of course remap the MIDI to other buttons, but the VCI-100 has set signals sent from it's buttons. These cannot be altered.

The effects section on the VCI-100 was designed with the 3.2 effects layout in mind, now its all been reversed, some of the controls don't match up with their on screen counterparts.

9. Uto5

Uto5 NI Product Owner

so seems to me, that it's a limitaion of your hardware, not from the software,

so maybe you have to ask to vestax, or use the software that the hardware supports..

10. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I'm seeing several people reporting the same problem but its still solveable in Traktor. All you need to do is to "re-learn" those Midi Assignments in Traktor itself.

Phil

11. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

Like I said, you can remap the controls to other buttons or knobs, BUT some are hardwired. For example - The master FX button which is a standalone button sends the exact same MIDI message as button 4 on the FX button strip (which consists of 4 buttons beneath 4 rotarys). If I remap all the FX buttons as they are now displayed on the screen, the MASTER FX button now activates the tap tempo button instead of activating FX. This is not changeable as the hardware is preset that way and not changable.

This is aso true for the Channel FX activation buttons.

12. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

And that problem is definitely Vestax's. MIDI controllers should be *fully* customizable - this clearly isn't.

13. blak_swan

blak_swan Forum Member

I echo the sentiments on this thread. It's good (vital) that NI are communicating their thoughts about the various issues raised. I played live with 3.3 for the first time yesterday and had much fun (with four decks!) That said, I didn't go near the effects because of the volume issues and inconsistency of how the effects kicked in. Now that I've had some time to aquaint myself with the new effects control (in a non live situation) I must say that I've been able to get some pretty amazing sounds and I prefer the new delay effect (I disliked the way it cut off abruptly in 3.2). That said, I'm not an advanced effects user and am still learning about the good and the bad but I have postponed rolling back to 3.2...

14. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

Thanks Tom for the update, always good to know NI listen and respond positively.

As for the VCI mapping, I agree, this is a limitation of VCI however, by simply mapping the first 3 button & knobs to T3.3 FX button/knobs 2, 3 & 4 with 1 being mapped to VCI fourth button/knob, the duplicate buttons on the VCI will work as expected.

I know this may not mirror the on screen display to physical location of controls but what unit does?

I believe someone has posted an example midi mapping for the vci on here, to control 4 decks by making use of the 4 midi pages in T3. Sorry, not sure where, see it about a week ago.

15. PhilL

Mr Dickins, please bear with me here while I try to get me head around what you have said...
    Are you saying that master FX produces the Same CC and Channel as another Control on the Vestax? If that is the case how did this ever work in the prior versions?

I agree with Audiorapture, a good controller should support the ability to have user defineable configurations. Its one of the truly great things about the BCR and BCF 2000 controllers.

Phil

16. Dickins

Dickins NI Product Owner

Precisely that.

The VCI-100 has a dedicated effects section with four buttons and four rotarys. In addition, there are 2 effects page toggle switches for next and previous effect. There is also a 'Deck A, B & Master toggle switch. This configuration allows 4 buttons and rotarys to control effects for A, B & Master.

To give you a quick fire effect activate button, Deck A, B & Master also have a dedicated 'on' effect button which sends the same MIDI message as button 4 for A, B & Master.

Sorry if thats a mess, but its a bitch to put into words.

17. dj_smex

dj_smex NI Product Owner

I also have a VCI-100 & to help explain, the 4 FX knob & buttons send different MIDI CC/Notes depending on which (A/B/Master) is selected from a select button above. The 3 fast buttons FX-A, FX-B & FX-Master send the same MIDI CC/Note as the fourth button for each of the respective channels, regardless of the select button state. IE The FX-Master can switch master FX on/off while the select button is set to Deck A etc.

As T3.3 have moved the FX On/Off (send) button from button 4 to button 1, to have the same function with the VCI as above, the MIDI mapping in T3 needs to change the order of buttons controlled via the VCI. IE the FX buttons from left to right on the VCI would control T3 FX buttons 2, 3, 4 & 1. Placing button 1 at the far right. This would keep the same quick FX on/off feature.

Hope this helps,
    John

18. Uto5

Uto5 NI Product Owner

its not a VCI thread

hi guys...

this is a thread about effects in traktor... it seem to me that it turning into a vestax VCI thread...

so let go beyond....all of this, S...

19. PhilL

Actually this explantion is most useful and as it turns out the change in button functions may have been an oversight or shortsighted. Either way the explanation of the effect of the changed behavior is critically important to users, in order for then to use FX.
    Its also a change that will will be critically important to get made so that the rather large number of VCI Traktor users can actually use their controller again for FX.

Given the breaking nature of the change, the fact it relates to FX and a change is needed in the upcoming fix update, I would say this discussion was essential and on topic.

Thank you guys for your help in defining the exact problem.

I will get this info into the hands of Friedemann and the devs in order to drive hard to get changes made to get you working properly again.

Phil

20. Uto5

Uto5 NI Product Owner

what about the effect routings...

will it implement send effects & Insert effects like on Traktor scratch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.