1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE
NOTICE:

Our Traktor Pro Public Beta is available again in our new online community. Join us if you want to try new features.

MORE INFO

New Traktor 3.5 keeps expanding the Track Collection section and that brings visual glitches

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by saradis, Jul 4, 2021.

1. saradis

saradis New Member

All the latest versions have been amazing and pretty stable, but is something off with this one?
    As some of you may have noticed, on some setups, and usually when the collection has more than 10,000 tracks, when you expand the Track Collection section of the left playlists bar, then scrolling the lists, adding and removing songs, and pretty much everything on the bottom part of the program becomes less smooth, almost visually annoying, like the list is trying to refresh itself, and it always feels like the program has a tougher time keeping all the things in the list you're currently viewing in place.
    if you just press the arrow next to the track collection and it closes (not displayng Artists, Releases, Labels etc above the playlists) everything runs incredibly smoothly.
    Well, in version 3.5, whenever you drag n drop to a playlist, or even search using the search bar, the Track collection section just expands itself for no reason. The program just feels somehow unstable (I know it isn't) and it's really uncomfortable watching the list blacking out for a few ms/refreshing itself whenever I change something. Can you please fix this??

On a side note, since it's playlist section related, in Traktor pro 2, whenever you dragged a track from list A to another list B on the left section (the playlist section) and you scrolled far up or down from list A while dragging, the list section remained in that area, so you could drag another track from the list A to list B or another list close to list B. In v3 this changed, and when you finish the drag n drop operation, the playlist section scrolls back to the original area where list A is located. This is just a different workflow and not a bug, but why not give us an option in the settings to not autoscroll the playlist section back after a drag n drop operation.
    If you import 20 songs to the collection and you wanna put half of them in lists that are way down in the playlist section, it's a pain to drag n scroll n drop to the same area from the top multiple times.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Akimov

Akimov NI Product Owner

+These glare are as annoying as possible.

3. Jonas C @ NI

Jonas C @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi saradis !

I think we've experienced that "Browser flickering" already on our side and we're working on fixing it already. Could you record a short screen capture of Traktor when this is happening to be sure we're talking about the same thing ?

About your side note, I think this is something that has already been reported by an other user and I kinda agree with you. That's an improvement we're definitively gonna consider.

4. golemus

golemus NI Product Owner

I am experiencing also flickering. Whenever searching for a keyword in field above "Track Collection". Everytime I do anything the browser flickers for 3 times.

This behavior is not present when a traditional playlist or a hard drive folder is chosen so it seems to have something to do with search function. Possibly even smart playlists (although I have only one smart playlist which currently is not chosen.

5. wayfinder

wayfinder Active Member

I've had flickering appear whenever I searched for stuff. And when I sorted by a certain column and then hid that column in the browser.

6. SeanBannister

SeanBannister New Member

I'm unsure if this is the same bug, but I experience the browser view flashing during different types of interactions with the browser viewport, in this case just double clicking on a track to edit it causes the browser to flicker, but even just loading the Tracks into a deck using a controller causes the same flash. Here's a video on Windows 10, Traktor 3.5.1 277 but this also occurs on the beta 3.5.2 284.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SeanBannister

SeanBannister New Member

After making the above post I decided to debug this and find a repeatable method to reproduce it, and here it is:
    1. Installed fresh version of beta 3.5.2 284 (Didn't import my collection or settings to ensure the greatest chance of reproducing on another machine)
    2. Clicked on the "All Tracks" playlist.
    3. Sorted the playlist by BPM. (This is important, it doesn't happen if sorted by "#")
    4. Using a controller load a track into a deck, or double click on a track in the browser view to edit it (like my video above), every 8 or so interactions the browser view will flash. To make the bug more reproducible try loading in 10,000 tracks and the bug will happen every interaction.

Here's further details:
    1. The bug only occurs when a playlist is sorted by something other than the "#" column. I tested BPM, Key, Rating, Genre, Title and all these bug out.
    2. If you have less tracks in a playlist the bug happens less often. In a playlist with 300 tracks I was seeing the bug once every 10-20 "interactions", in a playlist with 900 I was seeing it every 1-5 "Interactions". So I continued testing with the "All Tracks" playlist and the bug happened on every "interaction" with 8414 tracks.
    3. The bug does appear to be performance related, it briefly freezes Traktor, if I try to scroll (with a browse knob on controller) the second the flash happens the scroll doesn't happen.
    Update: Similar thread:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/browser-flickering.458155/

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
  8. wayfinder

wayfinder Active Member

I've noticed that when the flickering is occurring on my system, what's happening sometimes is that the contents of the browser are briefly removed, with the message "Please wait while filtering..." taking their place, for just a few frames. Additionally, there are other, shorter flickers where I can't see the message.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  9. Owner

Owner Active Member

First: Thank you SeanBannister for the reproducing steps. This bug annoys me for years.

Sometimes it is really hard to write something in the search field, when the writing content removes. it is pure stress in a live situation. And in this situation i'm afraid that i push the wrong letter on my keyboard and i act a mapping order instead of a search entry.

Edit: Can't use TP 3.5. because of this flickering. Also 3.4.2 is many often hard to use.

10. Owner

Owner Active Member

BTW: (Sorry in case of off topic) But I'm pretty sure this bug is the same trigger for another longstanding problem. If the "All Tracks" playlist is open, I cannot drag and drop a track into a track deck without the list jumping back up. (back to the first track in the list) This also happens from time to time in other playlist when the track collection node in the browser tree is open.

Second BTW: Jonas C @ NI there are some other threads in the beta expert forum about the flickering problem. Friedemann @ NI explains the possible reason for this. But it was before the browser refreshment. maybe now with the new browser structur in the background it's time for another try to get it out :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  11. SeanBannister

SeanBannister New Member

I noticed you mentioned you can't use Traktor 3.5 because of this bug, do you happen to know the latest version that doesn't have this bug? I'm thinking about reverting to it.

12. Owner

Owner Active Member

I'm not exactly sure, but I still remember 3.2 well. I will test all versions since TP3.0 again next week.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bizniz

bizniz NI Product Owner

I think 3.4.2 was ok

14. Owner

Owner Active Member

i have now tested all versions again. for me it was the least annoying with 3.0 / 3.1 and 3.2. this bug has been around for a long time. then, since the browser refreshment in the background and the introduction of smartlists, it has increased significantly. currently with 3.5.1 I find it very annoying and the version is not really useful for me.

edit: 15min. testing time per version

15. Owner

Owner Active Member

The problem with the flickering is still here in 3.5.2. A little better than in 3.5.1, but still very annoying.

16. SeanBannister

SeanBannister New Member

Owner
    Was the flashing similar in versions 3.0 / 3.1 and 3.2 or progressively worse? Which version did you end up using? I really need to revert.

This is painful for me because it isn't just a visual glitch, when it happens if a midi command is getting sent at the same time that makes a change to the browser it actually gets delayed. I have a lot of custom mappings and one of mine this really messes with.

17. Toxicaudio

Toxicaudio NI Product Owner

Found another one:
    Version 3.5.2 299 / WIN 10
    In Fullscreen Mode, after turning the "Limiter" off it will cut out the the browser at the button (red square)
    And each time you load a new track into a deck, the waveform stucks for short period.Browser is flickering....and so on.
    Audio is not effected.
    Visually its a pain.
    No Problems with Version 3.4.2 256
    graphic1.jpg graphic2.jpg

18. leeway

leeway NI Product Owner

I'm also experienced this flickering, it's so annoying i revert back to 3.4.2! (MacOS 10.14.6, Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2015)

19. Jonas C @ NI

Jonas C @ NI NI Team NI Team

Toxicaudio :
    This one sounds very strange to me as I'm unable to reproduce it on my own PC. Is it something that you can always reproduce ? If yes, Could you send me a quick video ?

Thank you !

20. Toxicaudio

Toxicaudio NI Product Owner

Hi Jonas,
    pls check your PM Box for the Videos.

• Like Like x 1