TRAKTOR 3 - REKORDBOX 5 - DDJ RZ - LEAVING TRAKTOR

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by andyfoz, Jul 30, 2017.

1. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Nope. From the looks of it she actually is busy and DJing. Go here-https://www.facebook.com/dj.freshfluke

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

I have a loop/grid set on the intro and outro which work just fine but yeah, elastic grids have been a very popular request. I see no reason not to implement them.

Handy if it can be customised.

If you search the internet you will find a mock up of 2 playlist browser that I made in PShop in 2007... yep, 10 years ago.
    Explain?
    The import and export function in Traktor is woeful. It was better in Traktor DJ Studio 2.5 which in 2005.
    Traktor DJ Studio used to allow for multiple playlist export to iTunes. It was a brilliant feature that was removed and I asked why and I never received an answer.
    Explain?
    Good God, I use a bewildering array of syntax to order playlists within folders and it drives me insane. This simply has to be implemented.
    I don't want to agree with you but I can't tell you anything to counter your assumption.
    You'll have to forgive my flippancy here but I have little interest in Pioneer hardware. If someone from Pioneer reads this and wants to send me a controller I'll happily give it a go but it would have to work with Traktor ;-) (i'm kidding).

• Like Like x 1
  3. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

Honest answers Karlos. Thanks.

I'm not convinced by point 1 though. Although you can have more than 1 beatgrid per track, do they both not need to have the same bpm? On old tracks with live drummers, the bpm at intro/outro is unlikely to be the same, otherwise you wouldn't need two grids or an elastic grid.

4. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

@TroyMichael Exactly. I've been very busy in the first months of the year playing on tour as live DJ for a rapper. Also I'm founding member of a german political party that actually can be elected in September in Germany (stlil sounds so crazy in my ears.., ^^) and then I was also doing a lot of DJ workshops. That led to the fact that I concentrated on the German part of the forum, since i knew that @Karlos Santos has everything under control here... ;-)

You'll see me much more here during the next months! :)

And, for the interested: check out the Sample Music Festival. I will talk about female DJs there. :)

5. Karlos Santos

I've always been honest with you guys. :(
    I don't think I explained myself very well. I use 2 grid markers. There are 2 sweet spots on 'Good Times' (as there are on Billie Jean) one at the intro and one near the end where the grid when placed correctly gives you a perfect loop for intro and outro.

I find the same thing on all manner of funk tunes and although I beat match manually, when I'm prepping a track I always try to find loop points in case I just can't be bothered mixing :eek::eek::eek:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

yes been putting up with the sweet spot for a very basic mix for years

press the tag button to quickly enter tunes into your prep list

yes the suggested track is customizable

ive not used the actual backup feature but i did youtube it when i got the controller, looks like a couple of clicks. but of course ive already made a usb stick so im half way there

ill be out with traktor tonight though as ive had no time to learn the rz or put RB on laptop, just updated my play lists manually for the 1000th time with new music, added new playlists that must be spelt correctly or a number inserted in the title to place them correctly in the play list tree, then manually exported all the new playlists 1 by 1 for a hard backup. traktors so rusty its starting to squeek!

7. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

You can already map a button to append a track to your Preparation List. I do wish there was an easy way to remove tracks as well.

8. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

officially left trakor for the for seeable future, out on the road with the ddj rz and rekordbox 5 last night all went without a hitch. 167 playlists shrunk down into 12 folders of playlists. Gonna miss the master tempo of traktor while i get used to RB but thats really about it.

also the x1 portabilty and one small bag for gigs has been a joy!

ill still be around looking for that traktor 3 and new controller with jogs, is it going to happen? i just cant see it.

adios traktor.

9. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

but your still here

• Like Like x 1
  10. soulguru

soulguru NI Product Owner

All this complaining about software!
    You want the software to do everything for you? Learn how to blend/mix unless you’re getting drop outs and major crashes.
    what else do you need? You want the world when in fact all we are basically doing is mixing 2 songs together!
    Some can’t even do that (sync) geez.
    The software does not make the dj.
    Traktor has every feature possibly available!
    Traktor/NI has provided the world with software and hardware (my wallet is thin).
    Pioneer is pulling controllers left and right, but in the end they all do the same thing!
    Too many world star Dj's out here!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Double Deck

Double Deck NI Product Owner

I disagree with all the above. While Traktor is good enough to 'mix two songs together', the code is old and the development is stagnant at best. Far from having 'all the possible features' without a major overhaul it'll be forgotten soon.

Oh and in case you missed all the headlines Pioneer is on a roll now. New Software, new standalone and add on controllers, audio interface..

Now tell me what NI has done for Traktor in the past year..

• Like Like x 2
  12. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Amen.

13. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

Amen..

14. Karlos Santos

We all know it's a lot more than that. Much more than Rekordbox when you consider STEMS, Remix decks (regardless of your opinion on them)

Yes, "now" being the operative word... this is nice for Pioneer seeing as they did nothing in the previous 15 years (software) and they are finally catching up with NI with a varied product line of controller and by varied I mean different kinds of controller not just flooding the market with DDJ type controllers. 10 controllers of the same type means nothing to me.
    Very little.

You don't actually agree with the whole of that statement - you know full well that Traktor is still the best performance DJ software available. Regardless of you opinion on STEMS etc you cannot possibly think that any other dedicated DJ software is as advanced in that specific area.

Let's try and have a grown up debate with nuance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. [chris b]

That works for both sides of the argument. Only an idiot would think that any of the platforms has "all the possible features available"

• Like Like x 1
  16. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

i have to leave the forum because i changed software? i still own the products/software

17. MrJL

MrJL New Member

I think it's too simplistic to reduce this to a 'good enough to stay or bad enough to leave' argument. It's more nuanced. For me, Traktor was a great way to build on the basics I'd learned from the app while using relatively inexpensive controllers (Z1 and an X1 mk2). However, now that I've got to a certain level the software is a limitation for me, but only because I play old boogie and disco with a lot of live drumming.
    As much as I respect some of the commenters in this thread, having a loop here and there in old tracks feels like clutching at straws and doesn't leave much room to be creative, or as much room as I'd like anyway. But if you're playing digitally produced music then I think Traktor offers more than enough to work with.
    After a couple years I feel that I've outgrown Traktor. I've just bought a DDJ-RB to test the waters of Rekordbox and immediately feel it's a better fit. Within 15 minutes of using it I had ditched the sync button and have spent the weekend manually beat-matching with the jogs. That might sound so painfully obvious it's dumb to those who learned that before going digital, but it's a legitimate way in to newcomers. I don't have any time for snobbery, so to say you're not a real DJ unless you can beat-match excludes people who otherwise might have a genuine talent for creating a vibe and keeping it going (which for me defines the essential skill a DJ should have).
    I'm going to sell my NI gear and invest in an XDJ-RX2 which I feel will give me more room to learn new skills and hone the existing ones I acquired through Traktor. I'll always keep an eye on NI and Traktor, but for what I play and the way I play it it's Pioneer for the immediate future.
    To the NI faithful I wish you bonne chance, hopefully they're working on filling the gaps that some of you are being frustrated by.
    Happy mixing!

• Like Like x 1
  18. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

you cant be addressing me here surely? my biggest gripe with traktor is the music organisation, my library has grown to such an extent where i need a better way to organise it.

i want an s4 style controller where the vu meters are accurate/bigger jogs/a newer model, i had a real hard time levelling tracks before putting them on air. pioneers ddjrX and ddjrZ just feels like a natural progression of the s4. where was the s4 mk3?

traktor does not have every feature possible.

i dont care about sync and i dont want a medal for not using it or using it, the argument is outdated.

the software does not make a dj but it can make a dj better if used correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  19. soulguru

soulguru NI Product Owner

“i need” a better way to organise it.

“i want” an s4 style controller where the vu meters are accurate/bigger jogs/a newer model

the sync argument is outdated so is this topic...ever since traktor dj someone is leaving for serato, now rekordbox dj.

I just hope that next year when a new DJ software comes out you’ll be on rekordbox forums saying the same thing about rekordbox.

20. [chris b]

Why?