Traktor 3 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, Nov 25, 2005.

1. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

please, daniviotti, this is a thread where you can GIVE tips and tricks. if you have questions, please open a separate thread!

2. Kirk Smeaton

Kirk Smeaton NI Product Owner

if you're using a Windows PC and keep your music on the hard drive of one computer but use an external hard drive to carry music to your gig (or where ever) Microsoft's free SyncToy can be a useful way of synchronising your two music folders.

You can download it here - http://www.tiny.cc/HuLKu

3. keng~

keng~ NI Product Owner

how to tap beat for an external source:

if you need to syncronize an external audio with traktor you can do this

a) load a trak in deck that are set to receive external audio

b) tap now

c) you've tapped the tempo of the external audio...

4. bobdj

bobdj New Member

Hi!
    1)Audio Setup for Soundcard Echo Indigo Dj on my laptop.
    How can set up Output Routing>Monitor>Master>Booth >Record & be able to prelistening traks by phones?
    2)How can setup the 4 deks in such a way that can be possible to crossfade sequentially a>b>c>d?
    3)Playlists
    It's seems impossible to save change(like mooving traks for different position in playlist)in the same playlist like in V.2.5.and so we have to save in a new playlist with a useless waste of time & increasing confusion.
    4) Auto Crossfade Time
    To change crossfade time we have to do 6 steps:Moove to the top right>Open Preference>Deck Preference>Sound&Mixer>Change Time>
    Ok for exit Preferences.....Really too much....
    The Auto Crossfade Time must be under the crossfade with direct access.
    5)AutoPlay X-Cross Fade by all 4 deks
    It'seems really funny that you are not able to realize this basic tools in a very sofisticated Traktor 3 (even too much....) and you are not able to fix a simple X-Cross Fade like in V2.5
    Thank's for replay.

5. DJ Freshfluke

lock/ unlock playlist

i agree, i already filed a feature request.

have a look at the *decks* panel - there you can adjust the assignments for every deck as you like it.
    oh, btw - traktor 2.5 did not have 4 decks

6. bobdj

bobdj New Member

Thank's for replay
    3)Playlist
    What i means is if the name of playlist is "native girl" & I make change in this play list i cannot save this change in the same "native girl" playlist but i have to open a "new playlist"> new name like "man native" and save the play list with changement: new changes means new playlists
    In version 2.5 you simply save all kind of modificantion in the same play list. Lock/unlock answer does not means anythings regadin my question.
    5)i'have been trayng to so set up in any way Decks Pannel to assign path like simple A>B>C>D.....but there is no way to auto crossfade in this way...but only A>B>A>B
    ....btw i'm using Traktor since V 2.0.....and I well know that V2.5 does not have 4 decks but TDJ3 has 4 dekcs and i would like to use all the 4 dekcs in sequence autocrossfade.
    Thank's for replay

7. DJ Freshfluke

how would you have done that??! i dont think so...

ah, now i understand - you dont mean an automated crossfade, but the autoplay feature - yes, this works only with deck a & b.
    why would you use 2 other decks for autoplay? makes no sense, therefore we dont have it.

8. bobdj

bobdj New Member

Please if you dont know Version 2.5 it does not matter.
    Thank's any way for your replay

9. bobdj

bobdj New Member

Hi!
    Audio Setup for Soundcard Echo Indigo Dj on my laptop.

How can set up Output Routing>Monitor>Master>Booth >Record & be able to prelistening traks by phones?
    Thank's for help & Replay

10. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

11. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

And if you DO know V2.5, this thread is entitled "Traktor 3 Tips & Tricks."

12. DJ Freshfluke

LOL @ boysteve

@ bobdj: i do know 2.5, but it's been a while.
    nevertheless i dont get your point. you might try to explain somewhat better, preferably in the right board and thread!!

13. bobdj

bobdj New Member

Thank's very much!!! Now finally prelistening works correctly
    with Echo Indigo Dj Lap Top Sound Card&TDJ3 with this settings:
    Monitor Left(Mono) V1/2
    Mono Right V2
    Master Left (Mono)V3/4
    Master Right V4
    Booth Left(Mono) V5/6
    Mono Right V6
    Record Left(Mono) V7/8
    Record Right V8

14. AudioRapture

Bob, you might want to remove the "booth" and "record" assignments - the indigo DJ only has 2 physical stereo outs, and in its default configuration you just put monitor + booth on output 1 and master + record on output 2. Not really what you want...

15. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Its possible to rapidly seek through a track with hotkeys and still stay synced all the way through.

Try this:
    Assign Hotkeys to < & > to Deck Seek Position Dec control Type hold and Inc control types, Autorepeat enabled, Fine for the scale and assign it to Focused Deck.
    Assign Hotkeys to < & > to Deck Tempo sync, assign it to Focused Deck.

Load a track into deck A and B slave the decks to the master clock, set them playing and seek one deck forward or backward and no matter how fast you jump through the track you stay in sync.

When I setup hot keys like this I typically use the modifier keys shift, Ctrl, Alt, CMD to change scale, so Shift < or > moves through the track really slowly where ALT < or > can go end to end in about 2 seconds and stay in sync.

I never really thought too much about this setup much. I was showing someone Traktor 3 and Scratch the other day and used the seek to jump forward in a track and the person was blown away that the tracks stayed in sync. This technique does not work if the hotkey you are using is winding the transport instead of seeking.

One way to use this is to skip a breakdown. As you approach the breakdown, copy the track to another deck with the full out on the just copied deck. Seek the copied deck forward about enough to skip the breakdown and bring the Xfader across as you go into the breakdown. You will loose the 1:1 count with other decks but you can fix that easy enough afterward.

Phil

16. AudioRapture

Phil, aren't you kind of re-inventing BeatJump here? Or did I miss something that your approach does that BeatJump doesn't?

17. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

No you are exactly right its just that you can seek through a track really fast and stay in sync. BeatJump has it beat in many ways, except for the speed you can move through a track.

Phil

18. sonic303¸

sonic303¸ New Member

Killing them instantly!

First to say hello to NI forum people since I'm new here! ;)
    I'm not 100% sure have you or haven't you posted about this before.
    The thing is, Traktor 3 is a perfect program for me, except this major problem about using killing buttons for decks A & B instantly!!!!!!!! :S
    Is there any way to bypass this riddiculous system about switching to one deck and than killing any of the frequences (buttons).
    It bothers me so much that I continued using my older 2.53 version!!! It really bugs with my mixing!

Please advise or redirect to answer if already answered!!!!! :S

Eternaly greatful! ;)

19. AudioRapture

sonic303, since you're new here - welcome!

Now, this thread is for *offering tips & trick*, not for asking for help.

Please use the search function first to see whether your question has already been asked. If so, please use that thread. If not, feel free to post a new thread.

Thanks, and happy farming!

20. esdee

esdee NI Product Owner

AW: Re: Traktor 3 Tips & Tricks

Extended Search Functions

With the | character in the search Field you can do a and/or search.

Meaning: "madonna | pop" finds any song containing "madonna" or "pop" - even madonna and pop in the same songs tags.

Would be especially nice to EXCLUDE like "POP without MADONNA".
    Who does know more about such extended search gimmicks?

Someone in the forum also mentioned the use of % character, but I cant find what he is referring to, due the NI forum search ignores the % character.

("%" character has been mentioned in the german thread "Was mich am meisten an meinem Traktor nervt!!!")