Traktor controllers: Where are you going?

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by Doubleplusgood, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Doubleplusgood

Doubleplusgood NI Product Owner

It is not my problem if you can hear 1 hi-hat, and I hear it 4. (19th second).

Will you use loop, or you will use cue point and count 8 beats - then press cue point again?
    The result will be the same, so we don't need loops. Can you see the point now?

2. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Cool mix. The use of the sequencer if I am guessing you change subtly and help with the groove.
    This is something that the step sequencer is good for.
    Of course different types of music and ways of mixing the sequencer wouldn't be as useful.
    It's all about how the individual wants to find a workflow.
    Which I am still trying to nail down.
    That's why having options is nice.

Traktor has these features that seem to be pissing some in this forum off. I guess because they want more important (for them) changes.
    I don't disagree at all. Make Traktor do everything that people want that other software does, why not?
    But really no need to dismiss what might work and be fun, or creative way to mix.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

sure it would improve your work flow alot one way or the other .

Does that make you a super star because you think you can do so much and I can't ?

Dude be real , you know nothing about what i can do .

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  4. Doubleplusgood

I am talking about technology, not a person. It is totally irrelevant what you can do.

5. mastermc

ok but don't get me wrong i love traktor but i am just saying as a fact that vdj has many more features than traktor does .

6. Doubleplusgood

Okay, i admit that I didn't check VDJ lately, and in fact, I am not curious about it.
    If you are serious, you will choose between Traktor and Serato.

7. mastermc

serious ? vdj is serious too if you don't know .

8. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

I dont use VDJ but have checked it out and know other DJs that love it. VDJ does have a ton of practical features not found on Traktor. Same could be said about alorithm DJay app.

Nothing wrong with having stems or step seq. i am happy to have that even if i don't yet use it. BTW did your mix doubleplus!

Just like to see more practical user requested features and hardware options available with Traktor. I am sure that would make a ton of long timer users happy and potential bring in more customers to NI.

• Like Like x 1
  9. IMNODJMTL

IMNODJMTL New Member

Everyone is going crazy over the Pioneer controllers due to the rekordbox application. Clearly I love TRAKTOR products, started djing digitally on S2 and upgraded to a S2 MK2. Serves quite well my purpose as I can carry it with me everywhere with exceptions and as a former vinyl DJ I am mostly pleased with it. Most clubs or festival organisers these days insist on using their DJ system, that 100% of times is a Pioneer. Here is where I have a huge problem. To play those gigs with ease I had to reorganise my entire collection on rekordbox. A huge undertaking if you see my 30+ year old collection. I am at crossroads right now and clearly not about to use and maintain both platforms, Traktor Pro 2 and rekordbox. I fear that my next controller will be a Pioneer even if I have to part with my beloved S2 MK2. This is the reality, rekordbox and related products are gaining more and more popularity due to their monopoly in the DJ industry and has nothing to do with the quality of TRAKTOR controllers that clearly are more robust and compact than the Pioneer equivalents. Unless TRAKTOR controllers become compatible with rekordbox products, I see a very troublesome future for TRAKTOR controllers and the company itself. Cheers!

10. Doubleplusgood

Serious.
    There is something called "standard".
    For example, if you are graphic designer and illustrator, you will use Adobe Illustrator, not Corel Draw.
    And Corel probably has more features than Illustrator.
    And when you, like a professional, receive Corel file, first thing that you will think about will be "he is not serious".
    Same thing is with VDJ.
    Traktor and Serato are the gold standards of digital DJing, and that is the fact, not my opinion.
    Do you know anyone who use any kind of advanced and expensive controller with VDJ?
    This is like a chicken with three legs: for sure it exists here and there, but I never saw that.

11. mastermc

like i said vdj is serious too . look it up

12. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

Nope. Pioneer is the gold standard for digital djing and has been since there ever was such a thing. That's why they completely dominate the sales data you posted.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

I agree. 9 times out of 10 you will see pioneer gear dominate club/festival DJ booth. Likely the same could be said for Mobile DJ Booths. Pio dominates and became the standard because they are progressive and aggressive. Looks like Denon is now taking an aggressive approach to try and changing this though.

14. Doubleplusgood

We are talking about different things.
    Pioneer is the gold standard only if you need or want CDJs - you will get 2 (or maybe 4) CDJ-2000NXS and DJM-2000 mixer.
    Or if you are without your gear in the decent club, you can expect Pioneer CDJ setup.

I am talking about software for the controlers.

If you take a look at the list of the controllers in my first post, you can see that all of them (except Traktor) are Serato certified or Serato ready controller. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

Can you show me one VDJ certified decent controller?
    Like I said, that is a chicken with three legs.
    And the reason for that is the fact that Traktor and Serato are professional DJ sofware, and VDJ in on the half way from enthusiast to professional.

15. Doubleplusgood

Oh, really.
    Check for example Boiler Room DJ-s (probably hundreds of them, and each or them are top-notch), and find me one - just one - who use VDJ.

16. [chris b]

I couldn't give a **** about vdj but you're wrong. Again.

17. Doubleplusgood

How and why am I wrong?
    Teach me then.
    Do you think there is "the gold standard" for controllers in DJ booths?

18. [chris b]

Very few use Traktor these days.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Doubleplusgood

True, but at least that "very few" is more than none.

The question is:
    The reason for that is wrong direction of controllers development, or bad software?
    Maybe both?
    I think the first one is much more important.

20. [chris b]

-rx is rekordbox only.

There is no gold standard controller and never will be. In my opinion laptops in clubs have generally had their day. Pioneer will aggressively promote hardware at all ends of the DJ spectrum and denon will push them hard.