1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Traktor crash lost days of playlist prep and gig tonight!!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Tom Burnell, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Tom Burnell

Tom Burnell NI Product Owner

I've spend the last 4 days prepping songs, grid fixing, cue point setting etc. And today my computer crashed and afterwards my playlist was empty and all the track data has been lost.

I've just read some other posts on the subject and turns out :
    a) the collection is only saved at program exit and
    b) people are advising to save 'save collection' frequently

Neither of these things are clear from just using the program.

The UI lulls you into a false sense of security because:
    - You do not create the collection in the first place (as you create files/projects in other software)
    - There is no indication of 'unsaved changes" as other programs have. * or italicised filenames typically
    - It never expects you to save the 'collection' when you quit so it gives the appearance of all your changes being persisted.
    - There is no File menu or Save option
    - CMD S does nothing
    - All of this gives the impression that your changes are being persisted immediately to a database of some kind.

In my mind NI should promptly implement at least one of the following:
    - crash recovery (as ableton, photoshop etc do) - basically frequent auto save to a tmp file and prompt to load it at start up.
    - make it super clear that you have UNSAVED changes and make CMD+S work for saving
    - save all changes as it goes

Now I have a few hours to try and recover from this.

Livid!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Sussudio

Sussudio NI Product Owner

Did you never close Traktor in those 4 days op prepping?
    You can find backups of your collection in your Traktor root directory:
    For myself this is D:\Users\Dennis\Native Instruments\Traktor 2.11.3\Backup\Collection, but you can find your path in your Traktor preferences.

3. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

It sounds like you left your machine on, with Traktor running for 4 days?

4. radiokrishna

radiokrishna NI Product Owner

I have mapped cmd+S for Save Collection, and use it every time I made significant changes.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tom Burnell

Tom Burnell NI Product Owner

I was using every day so I had no "apparent" need to close it.

Thanks - I found the backups and history but they were from before all my work.

Thanks - I've done that now too, but really amazed that I've had to do that myself.

I imagine this will happen to many people and they will have to "fix" it themselves but only after a mini disaster like this.

Why doesn't it just save as you go? If you want to do something temporary, you could always create a duplicate playlist or backup your collection then.

6. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

because the only person working on traktor for the last 10 years was homer simpson.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

Because the Traktor Pro codebase is 10+ years old, and the collection is stored as an XML file. It takes quite long to write this file everytime, so it's not possible to do as you go.

Traktor DJ 2 does have a modern database, so Traktor Pro will simply be discontinued in a few years, and then the problem will be "solved".

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Tom, I understand you, yesterday I bought a traktor pro 3, created about 30 folders and playlists, but fortunately I did not do a lot of work. And today I discovered a closed traktor without my work in half a day. This is really frustrating and does not look modern, since I also have no habit of closing the program in order to save ...
    This is a little weird work logic. Let's close the ableton, cubase, to save some part of the project, it's just ridiculous.

NI should do it more competently, your suggestions are excellent, I support

9. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

You don't have to close Traktor for it to save the collection. You can simply click on the track collection and choose 'Save Collection'.
    This is stated in the manual:
    11.12.5. Saving Your Track Collection (Managing Your Collection section).

When preparing music in Traktor user are advised to Export the Collection manually, often. This is explained in the same section.