1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor Delete AAC Title and Artist tags

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Nico_Tf, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

This has been driving me crazy and up the wall in the past few days, I'm in the middle of re ordering my collection, and...

Can anybody confirm that when Traktor 3.2 reads an AAC (.m4a) file, the fucker blanks the title and artist tag of the file itself? Or am I doing something wrong? Using Kid3 for reading and editing tags. Not to mention that Traktor also fails to write the TRAKTOR4 tag which stores all the cue points and stuff.

MP3 and Flac files are fine.

2. kashada

kashada NI Product Owner

Yes, this hapened to me too.
    I was forced to re-download all my m4a files from itunes again.
    Choose the option do not right any tag to files.

3. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Yes, I've confirmed this definitely. Bought a file from iTunes, perfectly tagged, simply importing it in Traktor strips the title and artist. I want Traktor to write their custom tags so I can keep the cue points and stuff. This is lame and has cost me a week of work. Gonna fill a ticket.

4. MixMasterG

MixMasterG NI Product Owner

Hey Nico,
    We already spoke on Reddit :)
    One method to at least limit the damage, is to lock the track's media file.
    The cues/loops etc will still be stored by Traktor, but Traktor will fall back to it's collection.nml storage instead of writing the proprietary Traktor tags. Only minor drawback is that your tracks are no longer "portable" because the cues/loops etc will be linked to the track's media file filepath as I explain right here.
    https://youtu.be/m96k3rMCn3s

5. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Hey G! Sup?

Yes you're right. I finally had some down time and what I was aiming for was seriously deep cleaning of my collection, and also to makes it totally modular/independent from any external metadata database. I don't trust databases, they inevitably corrupt, or get bloated, and you will always need to rebuild them come the day, and it's always on the most inconvenient day.

This seems to not be achievable fully with Traktor. As you say, the cue points will still be held into the collection.nml if you use .m4a file. I'm quite amazed this bug hasn't been found before, and I'm quite mad it took me this much work gone poof to discover that. A lesson in never assuming anything: Always test fully your workflow before committing to it.

To reach my aim, the only solution so far seems to have only .flac files. Or .mp3 but my ageing ears find them subpar. I can also hope that NI correct this (sent them a video), and they sure seems much more responsive than before, so there's hope. It's quite the showstopper bug too, since it plain destroy information in one of the most widely accepted and sold format (iTunes files).

Thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

Ok, I'm stupid. The problem was with Kid3, not Traktor. Don't use Kid3. Media Rage works like a charm.

Welp, I just need to tinker with regular expression to grab the correct info from my MIK formatted files name now, to restore all the tags I've lost, then clean up the whole thing by hand again. I'm sure it will be faster the third time around.

Thanks everyone.

7. MixMasterG

MixMasterG NI Product Owner

and now you're in the same boat as I'm. Finding a 64 bit replacement for MediaRage before MacOS Catalina hits

8. Nico_Tf

Nico_Tf NI Product Owner

I feel you. It's amazing there's not a single half decent tag editor on the mac. I know Mixed in Key put one out, quite young for sure and no idea if it's good.

You can keep one machine running Mojave, I know I've kept production machines easily 4 or 5 OS versions old without a hassle in the world, running the latest of everything I needed.

And someone's bound to release a dirty wrapper for 32 bits apps. With a bit of luck, it may even work.