1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Traktor key detection don't work?? Traktor Pro 3.2.0

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by tobby digg, Aug 18, 2019.

1. tobby digg

tobby digg NI Product Owner

Hello,
    at harmonic mixing with Traktor I noticed that some songs with the same key fit well
    and some not.
    Because of that I take a look at some web pages showing keys of songs like:
    www.tunebat.com
    www.audiokeychain.com
    www.beatport.com
    etc
    Had to find out that the keys in my Traktor do not nearly match with the specified on the
    pages -> see above. .. Is that normal? Someone the same problem? My traktor broken? I'm to stupid? : / ..

Use Traktor Pro 3.2.0

2. Tijn71

Tijn71 NI Product Owner

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  3. tobby digg

tobby digg NI Product Owner

Thanks for reply!
    Nice links, but when I take a look at my songs keys and than take a look at this sites, where you can see bpm & keys:
    www.tunebat.com
    www.audiokeychain.com
    www.beatport.com
    etc
    There's not 1 key the same (!!) Not 68% or something..
    Crazy :/
    ---
    If I want to be sure all my keys exact in my playlists, is there a website with correct keys?
    Anybody knows? Thanks for help..

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  4. kramdown

kramdown NI Product Owner

Not knowing your specific tracks, they're all probably somewhat right. Each key detection algorithm is locking onto a prominent harmonic component and labeling it as the key signature of the track. The problem is - in today's music that can be complex. Tracks are often assembled where the bassline, chord loop, and melody work together harmonically but technically may not be in the same key. This can happen anywhere, but common examples for club DJ's are hip-hop artists like Drake and Rihanna.

There can be other complications. If you are an open format DJ you have probably played these to death in clubs: Despacito and Sunflower. Even though both are completely different genres (reggaeton and hip-hop) they have a common chord structure that can be interpreted in different ways. I've seen both ID'ed as either Bm or D.

Which key do you mix with? Well... they'll both work, but in the case of Despacito what works best is Bm because that's the leading chord. With Sunflower the vocals start in D, and that gives you the most seamless mix. This will be obvious when practice with the tracks.

I've seen this come up so many times in this forum. Just like you check your grids, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for checking your key signatures at home and then experimenting with how you are going to use them in a mix. If you are not a musician, get a chromatic pitch pipe or tuner. They're under $20.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019