Traktor Kontrol Z1 freeze - problem!

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by Rik Petit, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Rik Petit

Rik Petit New Member

Hello, i have a Traktor Kontrol Z1 that i use on my MacBook Air with Traktor Pro software. I use it in combination with the Kontrol X1. When i'm Dj-ing the Z1 goes in freeze after a few minutes. I find this very big problem. I already tried to put in the AC adaptor but no difference. I have to unplug the usb cable, put it back in and it restarts. Again good for a few minutes. Does anybody has the same problem. Please help me out. Thx!

2. marc c

marc c New Member

Hey Rik,

Seems i have the same problem on my Win7 pc with traktor Pro 2.66.
    Have you already found an answer?
    At this moment the device is useless to me and certainly no advertisement for Native

Marc

3. decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel New Member

3 months later and I am having the same issue on mt win7 sp1 PC. Works like a champ on my MBP, but not on windows. I tried e-mailing NI and they wrote back telling me how to find the serial number :rolleyes:

4. Biko A.

Biko A. New Member

I am running into this same issue with the Z1 and the latest version of Traktor Pro on a Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 8.1. I have a X1 MK2 connected as well with a 4-port powered USB 2.0 multi TT hub (5V 2.6amps). Is everyone here using a USB hub with their setups? I am thinking that this could be a issue with power through a USB hub. I am working with NI support right now on investigating this issue. Keep you all posted on the outcome.

5. decodeddiesel

decodeddiesel New Member

I have the NI USB cables that came with the Kontrol units plugged straight into USB ports on my PC. I have tried USB 3 and USB 2 plugs, doesn't seem to make any sort of a difference. I also went through the NI trouble shooting procedure, and turned the power management off on all of my USB ports, didn't make a difference.

6. spitman1

spitman1 New Member

i have the same problem here on a MBP z1 x1 f1. freezes for no reason seemingly.

7. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

Not good. Guys take a look at the S2/S4 forum there a several threads with similar issues related to USB drop outs.

Make sure you open a TT. than call NI. If you do not call they will ignore your TT. With the S4/S2 issues NI has not been able to provide a fix and have tried to blame an intel Chipset used by late model MacBooks. Totally un acceptable to me.

Also call your distributer and get them to exchange it.

8. olifr69

olifr69 New Member

Hi there.

Same problem for me on an brand new Macbook Air 11" (mi-2013) 1,7GHz Intel Core i7, OSX 10.9.2.
    I've tried everything, without success.

X1 mk2 and F1 have no problems (when the Z1 freeze, they stay fully fonctionnal, and my sound switch to the built-in card).

I'm going to bring my Z1 back, and pray that I will no have same problems with my old audio 8 and a new controller.
    It's a pity to see that Traktor keeps it's reliabilty known problems without supporting its customers... :-/

9. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

I just tried out a Z1 which my friend loaned to me in about 20 mins i encountered the same issue.

10. olifr69

olifr69 New Member

Update : I brought back my Z1 controller to the store where it has been purchased. They call NI :
    nothing known on NI side, so they told my dealer to change it.

Same issue with the new one (it's obviously a software bug, driver I guess).

So I switch to another brand/product.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  11. tmccoy

tmccoy Forum Member

Can you describe your setup in detail? Most importantly is what other controllers were connected and what audio interface were you using.

My thought is there is a sequence of posts of people using multiple controllers and are getting crashes - maybe this is USB power related? But if you were just using the F1 as a controller and audio interface, that is definitely a strong indicator of a Z1 issue.

12. olifr69

olifr69 New Member

All my tries are speaking about the embeded Z1 audio interface.
    I've tried with only the Z1 plugged, and with its power supply, with USB3, 2 with and without power wire. So it's obviously not an USB power issue.
    I've tried with 2 different Z1, making me thinking it's also not an hardware problem (or a serial problem, but it probably would have been discovered by NI).
    My thought is that we face a software/driver problem.
    And to be honest, I've had tons of issues with NI products for a long time. I love Traktor, this soft is for me the best. I'm a traktor user since v1, I've tried under Linux, Windows and now OSX.
    But the teams have a serious lack of reactivity and involvment, facing bugs.

13. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

I had it plugged in straight to the macbook USB port no other controller.. basically using the keyboard to play & pause cue & load it the Z1 for sound.

in the middle of play a song the music just stopped the the Z1 became unresponsive. It was the first time see the Z1 and i actually would buy one for myself if NI was not in the middle of this hardware freeze issue.

The Z1 belongs to another DJ friend he says it works well with his windows machine but he could not get it to work with his iPad and hence was going to sell it.

Seems like the Z1 is suffering the same faith as the S4/S2 freeze issue with MacBooks.

14. tmccoy

tmccoy Forum Member

Ok, so noted above that it seems like there is an issue with the Z1 as well.

Interestingly, I had my S4 Mk1 drop out on me today after about 25minutes when I was playing a home. Everything was fine, no audio glitches, no touching cables (in fact I was hands off at the moment it dropped out) and power cycling the S4 and unplugging and plugging the USB back in didn't help. Only my flashing USB LED - indicating the USB interface dropped out, and possibly on the MacBook air side.

I've been using my MacBook a lot in the last few days while I've been home sick - so it has been in and out of sleep for days, when normally I fresh boot it every time I start DJing, and especially before gigs and parties. I then played around for another 30minutes without any issues - but I'm conscious to see if it happens again.

So a further question - are you doing these tests on fresh reboots of you laptops?

15. Brian Roche

Brian Roche New Member

Hi everyone, so I had a similar issue last night 10 minutes before the end of 4 hour set. Using the Kontrol Z1 and the Kontrol X1. Both hardware units are less than 1.5 months old. I've had absolutely no issues until last night. The Kontrol Z1 froze, no sound but the LEDs continue to work and Traktor Pro continued to play without an issue but no audio from Kontrol Z1. After unplugging and plugging the Kontrol Z1 back in the audio and response appeared to be fine, however I only played another 2 songs before ending my set.

Given the symptoms are similar (logs and information sent to Native Instruments for analysis) what are people's thoughts? Has anyone gotten to the bottom of the freezing?

I did some digging and the hardware drivers are all up to date, the machine was built less than a month ago with a fresh install and almost nothing on there (primary performance machine and has no other function). Interestingly from the system log files I found the following suspicious information:

Aug 31 00:49:24 Brians-MacBook-Pro.local NIHardwareAgent[219]: IOHIDDeviceRegisterInputReportCallback called with a null context
    Aug 31 00:51:14 Brians-MacBook-Pro.local apsd[92]: __tcp_connection_register_reachability_block_invoke 104 networkd reported net_helper_connection_start failed
    Aug 31 00:51:18 Brians-MacBook-Pro kernel[0]: considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired
    Aug 31 00:58:25 Brians-MacBook-Pro.local AddressBookSourceSync[352]: [CardDAVPlugin-ERROR] -getPrincipalInfo:[_controller supportsRequestCompressionAtURL:https://brianroche@me.com@p04-contacts.icloud.com/1034569647/principal/] Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1009 "The Internet connection appears to be offline." UserInfo=0x7fbb01e1a350 {NSUnderlyingError=0x7fbb01f81bb0 "The Internet connection appears to be offline.", NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://brianroche@me.com@p04-contacts.icloud.com/1034569647/principal/, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://brianroche@me.com@p04-contacts.icloud.com/1034569647/principal/, NSLocalizedDescription=The Internet connection appears to be offline.}

What's particularly interesting to me from this dump is the "NIHardwareAgent[219]: IOHIDDeviceRegisterInputReportCallback called with a null context" has anyone seen that before? Are there additional logs/traces I can review specific to this error? I think the network errors are a red herring as the wifi was turned off on the machine.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bri

16. Brian Roche

Brian Roche New Member

Incidentally I came across this post : http://www.native-instruments.com/f...ashes-a-very-simple-possible-solution.215243/ This seems like a stretch to me but I'm not willing to rule it out as a potential issue. The club I play has an enormous bass and last night in particular towards the end of the evening the sound guy had the system pegged resulting in some serious vibrations. Not enough to jog the cable loose but hey, it's a possibility. I use auralex foam for the laptop (even though I have SSD) but don't use padding for the controllers. Is this something we think could be an issue? Should I also pad the controllers?

17. Mr Sonik

Mr Sonik New Member

Hey i had the same issue with my surface pro 3 with the X1 + Z1.. after 3mins.. 10mins.. random times the audio would cut out.. it would drop the Z1 driver. i thought it was because the usb hub wasnt powered.. same issue...

After playing around, i disabled sleep mode. i also went into the device manager, right clicked each device ( Z1 + X1), and unchecked an option that allows windows to reduce its power to preserve batterie savings...

so far so good, it fixed it. Seems windows by default when you are on a laptop or surface, will set your devices to reduce power if they stain on the tablet / laptop.. If you disable + always have the tablet / laptop plugged in, then it should be ok...

So far so good.. i would have it cut after 5-10 mins... now ive gotten up too 2 hours.. without any issue. so maybe that worked.

18. John Bergman

John Bergman New Member

It's "good" to see I'm not the only one who's having this issue. I got the Z1 for it's compact size, price, etc...
    After about a month I noticed it started to randomly cut out just like everyone else here. That's quite embarrassing while playing for others. Unplugging and replugging the USB seems the only solution so far. Sometimes the problem doesn't appear for a month or so. Right now it's cutting out every 5 minutes.
    I've tried, like NI support suggested, just plugging the unit directly to my Mac. It was still cutting out with nothing else in the chain.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar device that works?

19. Istvan Hubner

Istvan Hubner New Member

Hi, I have Traktor Z1 + X1 with my iMac.When Mac(10.13.6) is is sleep mode Z1 is still on. How can I adjust it to turn on sleep mode?
    Thanx