Traktor Pro 2 and no controller

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by Bigsmoke79, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Bigsmoke79

Bigsmoke79 New Member

Im a bit of a noob to digital djing, having previously used turntables anyway long story short just got myself a new macbook and want to get into digital djing but having forked out for the macbook I wont be able to buy a controller till after xmas however Id like to buy a copy of traktor pro 2 while its on offer.

Question is can I mix and do everything just using my macbook and the software? I have speakers and headphones? do I need anything else? obviously this will only be temporary till I can afford a controller early next year.

I know traktor comes with the s2 and s4 but I am looking to buy the denon mc3000.

2. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

You can't [legitimately] cue w/o a multiple channel audio-interface.

3. Bigsmoke79

Bigsmoke79 New Member

Thankyou so really kind of need a controller, like I said the digital side of djing is all new too me. Still think I should maybe by pro 2 while its on offer anyway so I have it for whatever controller I buy.

4. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

You may be able to get Pro 2 for free if you buy an X1 controller, I kno it was an offer at 1 time. They do bundles when you buy the hardware. I use an X1 and an Audio 2 interface personally.

5. Bigsmoke79

Bigsmoke79 New Member

So me being a noob, if I pick up a copy of pro 2 and load it unto my macbook and and load it with my mp3's and beatgrid my tracks what can I actually do with the software with no controller?

6. djmain1

djmain1 New Member

Traktor Pro 2 also comes with the F1 Controller

7. bi!LY eagle

bi!LY eagle Forum Member

You can still fully use all aspects of the software and mix. You just won't be able to cue songs in headphones.

8. Bigsmoke79

Bigsmoke79 New Member

Cheers pretty pointless then If I cant cue up the track Im bringing in really, will have a think about buying the software I just know im gonna struggle getting into the whole digital djing which is probably why ive held off for soo long. Just hope whatever controller I go for I dont have problems with the mapping etc its frustrations like that have kept me away from digital I just want plug and play haha

9. brocklambert

brocklambert Forum Member

Buy an Audio 2 soundcard for $99... will give you the multiple outputs you need and comes with Traktor Pro 2.

10. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

Exactly! Not being able to cue is not a matter of controller or no controller, it's a matter of multi-channel soundcard or no multi-channel soundcard.

11. spinifex

spinifex Forum Member

12. MjTom

MjTom NI Product Owner

If you must, for practicing you can get an inexpensive splitter cord for your headphone jack, set Traktor to mono then send the master to one side (left or right) and send the cueing to the opposite channel.

You will not want to play out like this. I also use an Audio 2 and I swear by it.

Once you have a sound card, all you need is a mouse and keyboard. The reality is that your keyboard is a controller with its own mapping. You can use the mouse to navigate the screen and substitute for jog wheels. I know a Seattle DJ who plays a popular night this way.

13. Bigsmoke79

Bigsmoke79 New Member

Cheers guys,

Thanks for all the info! I went ahead and ordered Traktor Pro 2 for the discount price as its such good value anyway it was worth buying.

Next question is controller? Seen a mates Pioneer DDJ-T1 and its nice but too big I need something more compact, I really like the Denon MC3000 looks very well built is it hard to map to traktor?

14. spinifex

spinifex Forum Member

I have both ddj t1 and mc3000 ... both are excellent and traktor pro 2 comes with default mappings for both which are perfect

15. Avek

Avek New Member

If you still have your turntables you can use them. Just get one of the soundcards and some timecoded vinyl. Use the timecoded vinyl to cue up your tracks, change pitch, and all just like real vinyl. Good luck and welcome to digital DJing...

16. Bigsmoke79

Bigsmoke79 New Member

Yeah I really like the ddj-t1 just wouldnt have the room, I assume default settings makes it really simple to setup then? im definitely edging towards the MC3000 just looks like such a good controller and better build quality than the S2 even though it will have the tightest intregration with traktor.

17. jayknowstheway

jayknowstheway New Member

Man, this is such BS!!!!!!!!!!! Ok.. so they try to funnel you into buying their compatible hardware by not offering even the option to do a mult-output device? WTF. How hard would that really be to implement?