1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor Pro 3—an underwhelming update

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Scoox, Jan 6, 2019.

1. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

I don't mind most the spacing or missing stuff, I have always had my layout switchable with my arrow keys.

They could at least outline where a deck starts.
    My preference would be the key color as slim border. Or a light grey when not loaded.

But no matter what the more modern look is a huge step in the right direction.

2. Krotos

Krotos NI Product Owner

The only issue I have found so far is going in to the settings still freezes for ages!!!!!
    Prolly only because I use the Pioneer DDJ-SX2 and the mappings are HUGE!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nelson Nailat

Nelson Nailat New Member

Bro, you missed two important updates with TP3.
    1. Time code with ANY USB interface with phono inputs. I'm using DJM-S9, Rane 57, and other DVS interfaces with Traktor Pro timecode vinyl, and it's awesome. I don't bring out my Audio box for anything anymore. No longer do I have to use a HEX editor for the Traktor DVS Hack.
    2. (Depending on who you are because I didn't care for this upgrade) Longer deck track screen

4. Scoox

Scoox NI Product Owner

3.1.1 still quite a mess. I read somewhere 3.2 was being beta-tested, fingers crossed it'll deliver what 3.1.1 didn't. I mean, it ain't brain surgery, just stop adding fancy features and fix the obvious workflow issues and bugs. I know fixing stuff ain't very lucrative in the short term but that's what decent companies do.

5. Scratch-E Con

Scratch-E Con NI Product Owner

I'm still wondering about this. As far as I know you can hook up any mixer but you can't use midi mapping, FX etc. So that would make it quite useless.

6. Owner

Owner NI Product Owner

that's wrong. you can use booth at the same time. e.g. pioneer djm s9 works flawless.

7. Scratch-E Con

What I'm saying is that I can map any of Traktor's functions to any button or knob on my Z2. Are you saying that you have the same flexibility when you hook up an S9?

8. Anti-Skating

Anti-Skating NI Product Owner

Well, at least TP3 looks good, but reasons I'll go back to Rekordbox:

- Mapping, although very powerful, is still confusing as hell, I still don't know how to remap certain basic functions to my Z2, as I'd need a phd in programming to make **** work for anything requiring the shift button.
    - Switching from DVS to vinyl and back to DVS is unreliable and most of the time calibration fails at some point and a software restart is needed.
    - Massive CPU load spikes that appear out of the blue, after which they become persistent until a software reboot.

I feel like a fool for paying for the upgrade as there hasn't been one single meaningful feature update to the software. Elastic beat grids, auto playlists etc. the basic features of every other DJ software out there? Instead we get a free ipad kiddie app and mixing in key? Not even a road map to keep the faintest hope alive...
    :)

9. Owner

Owner NI Product Owner

hm, ok... i'm not a pro into mapping, but there are enough user who did it. have a look at those mappings, when you're really interested and try to change something. give it a try. i only don't understand why people say "it doesn't work, but never try it"

10. Owner

Owner NI Product Owner

are you sure in this point? what's the problem to switching back? i do that since many years in this way and never ever got a problem with re-calibration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Owner

Owner NI Product Owner

maybe you should also become to be a beta tester? for now, ther's a a good dialogue between NI and the users in the beta-forum.

12. Anti-Skating

I never had that problem, but now in TP3 it's become so regular that I've even put in a support ticket. If use a regular vinyl (for scratch practice) in external input mode for an extended period of time, it only gives me a calibration fail once I switch back to Traktor DVS. It isn't hardware related, as a reboot of Traktor solves the issue immediately.

That's the problem with Traktor's mapping, you have to have a very specific example to get the grasp of it. If only NI were wise enough to actually include a default mapping example of THEIR OWN HARDWARE for people to study, I could maybe get the hang of things. Now I'd have to rely on somebody doing the exact same thing on the exact same hardware to learn how to do it. For example, I'd really like to rearrange the loop recorder mapping to my C/D selector buttons on my Z2. I have no idea how the C/D buttons behave, and have very little understanding of modifiers to pull it off. I'm not interested in investing 12 hours of my life looking at long winded video tutorials about some techno DJs obscure FX workflow with a 1000 button MIDI controller, and how "Traktor opens up a million possibilities with it's robust mapping capabilities". (Too bad not many tehcno DJ's use the Z2, so I could get lucky with a tutorial... :D)

Sometimes I feel like a f***ing moron with NI products, even with a Master's degree in design and working as a UX designer. Their DJ software is the antithesis of user friendly.

13. Scratch-E Con

I'm not a UX designer but I'm sure that some improvements can be made here. Still (basic) Traktor mapping is pretty straightforward, if you spend one hour or so you'll be good to go.

14. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Sounds to me like you have a strong basis in understanding that investing a little time in a new technology gives you the basics, and investing any more time after that gives you the opportunity to become more comfortable with it, a stronger skill set, and a smarter workflow.

I'm sure if you look back at how you started with UX to where you are now you will understand the growth progress you've made.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Anti-Skating

"A hard to use feature will just be left unused."
    - Anti-Skating's guide to UX design

16. Scoox

Scoox NI Product Owner

The problem is not really lack off examples from NI, but the mapping editor itself. I made a huge mapping for my Launchpad with multiple layers and shift buttons and I had to use a clever tagging system involving the use of both the Comment 1 and Comment 2 fields just so I could wrap my head around my own mappings, and even then it was not easy. Making sense of a sophisticated mapping someone else made is almost as difficult as mind-reading.

I messed with Deckadance for a bit and it features a scripting language for mappings. I'm not a programmer but I know about MIDI and it wasn't hard at all taking an existing mapping and hacking the code to fit my needs. All I had to do was change a few CC numbers here and there. Personally I found that system much easier to work with than Traktor's dumb mouse-driven editor, because you can easily copy/paste and even re-use chunks of code by creating functions.

As far as UX goes, the TP3 GUI ergonomics has regressed in some areas, as I mentioned in my earlier posts, and the mappings manager continues to be the UX disaster it's always been, which is confusing because custom mappings is probably one of Traktor's biggest selling points. The built-in manager is so bad users have actually taken the time to code their own third-party editor.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1