Traktor Pro feedback thread - post your impressions here!

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Thomas @ NI, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas @ NI

Thomas @ NI Administrator NI Team

Hi everybody,

With Traktor Pro / Traktor Scratch Pro now "out", it should be good to have one thread for everybody to post their impressions in. So fire away with your personal review!

Regards, Thomas

2. r.tificial

r.tificial NI Product Owner

Some "little" things I instantly fell in love with...
    ...coverart: how could I have ever lived without it?
    ...quick switch to full-screen file browser: oh-yes!
    ...new layout in general: looking good and a pleasure to use. I don't miss the old "panels".

Aaaah.... need... to... play... more... :D

*r.tificial having a nice warm feeling about this*

3. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

How about when you guys post your experience, you also let us into your system and peripherals as well? Thanks!

4. r.tificial

I guess it was about time to add the hardware specs to my sig ;)

Okay some more details - but I can only scratch the surface here! I just did a little 1 hour mix. I'm a bit overexcited since I just started to use 4 decks and it felt awesome. Traktor made a good impression. As former T3 user I began without even looking at the manual and just went for it. So far, I only consulted the manual to find out about the little camera-symbol in the effects section (it's a "save this 'preset' as standard"-button), everything else feels new yet self-explanatory and/or familiar.

I noticed that during deck-loading the GUI sometimes freezed for short periods of time, but I'm familiar with this behaviour. As long as the sound doesn't drop out (it didn't!) I'm not concerned.
    The incremental search works as fast as it is supposed to - although the frequent browser window refreshs produce a light flickering.

I like the new UI layout but I'd prefer to have the "enable FX 1/2"-buttons" in the effects-panels (global section) instead of the filter/key/gain/cue-panel. That would feel more "natural" to me.

My collection is not beat-gridded and Traktor did a good job with its automatic detections. During extensive 4-deck-usage I used the (beloved or hated) sync-button to get a quick match and then fine-tuned the phase by myself. I noticed that I have to press the pitch bend buttons a lot longer than I'm used to, so pitch-bending ("skipping") some beats this way takes too much time in my oppinion - that degrades its usability. But that may be a something that can be configured/adjusted (like accuracy/precision for knobs), I haven't looked deeper into that (I need to RTFM).

It's too early to say anything about long-term stability yet, but so far I didn't came across anything unusual. During the weekend I'll do some extensive mix-sessions (I hope - I need more time :)).

I did a clean install of Traktor Pro, the installation itself went flawlessly. I'd advice everybody to look into the installation options since you don't need to install the A8DJ-driver or the scratch library if you don't want to or need to. Manuals in various languages are included as well as TSI-presets for MIDI-controllers. I only tested for native support for DN-HC4500 (VFD displays) and that is a "no" for this one. We'll get a new official word on this issue soon.
    Importing my iTunes collection was a matter of 2 seconds (I think), it all happened so fast... *lol*. I have about 1.200 tracks and I remember T3 taking a good long deep breath spinnin' the scary beachball before getting back to me.

So that's it for now.

Dear community, I hope this is somewhat useful for you.

5. Twelve Hundred

Twelve Hundred New Member

Well the reason I would imagine the tracks load a little slow is with any software being Serato or Traktor, they take a minute to "Pre-Fetch" or "buffer" the tracks and ready them for playback.

I could be wrong though...

About the "sync", So the new pro DOES have better detection and "sync" right? I would always have to use the bends or fine tune with T3... or just keep hitting the sync button and hope it doesent go to hell. Also, it seemed I would have to use "tap" a lot to get my ranges set pretty good and then go back and RE-Analyze...

Not that it is ever needed for us seasoned performers, but on the FLY recording right before going to the bar or spot you frequent would be NICE. Gotta give out those mixes!:)

Thoughts?

6. c242

c242 NI Product Owner

- The new decks are huuuuge, even on a resolution of 1680...
    - Still Icecast-Streaming and ogg only
    - Still only able to delete tracks form collection, not from disk
    - Still no sorting of collection with different criteria possible
    - Still no bugfix for sorting fields when saving playlist as webpage

- Cover function is nice
    - Analyzing seems to be faster (optimized for more cores ?)
    - Fast switching to collection view only is nice
    - Whole GUI seems to be more 'smooth'

Still have to test my Hercules Rmx...

7. Twelve Hundred

Twelve Hundred New Member

Are you reffering to "Multi-Core" processors? Or something else?

8. r.tificial

I think the analyze-process has been optimized, too, but it is still single-threaded as my system load stays at 50% when Traktor is analyzing tracks - implying that one core is working and the other one sleeping.

9. DjCyberMix_Tf

DjCyberMix_Tf NI Product Owner

The new effects management is really impressive, I have to understand the new cue-loop system.
    The mapping of Vestax VCI-100 is incomplete and I'll have to remap when I'll understand good midi modifiers.
    For now I can't say more, we will see monday to talk better about Traktor Pro.

10. chilly

Everyone...can you limit the questions to the 'Official Traktor Pro Question Thread'?

Thanks.

11. Thomas @ NI

Thomas @ NI Administrator NI Team

To keep things focussed, I will moderate this thread and move general questions into the "official questions thread". Let's stay on topic here so we get the best overview about what everything thinks about the new Traktor.

12. chilly

First impressions:

5 hours to download? lol...how many people are stealing my bandwidth into NI? :-D

13. blancodisco

blancodisco NI Product Owner

Downloading now and it is EXTREMELY painfully slow. maybe it will be done when I get home from work this afternoon... ;)

14. hazett

hazett NI Product Owner

First impressions with the demo... (don't received a serial-nr yet because they got some issues with the system...)

- the same bugs as in Traktor 3.4 with OSX... see the issues forum...
    - the scratch panels are too big and take too many space of the decks... they belong to the panel as in Traktor 3
    - coverart in the lower left of the browser can't be resized and is too small... the horizontal bar obove should be moveable and the cover should automatically resize...

15. hazett

hazett NI Product Owner

Transpose Stretch kicks ASS! :D

16. pr0ficient

pr0ficient Forum Member

Only used it for about an hour, can't wait to get back home and play with it more.

would be nice if you could change the waveform color like in T3. I prefer the blue wave form to the yellow one.

17. selector97

selector97 NI Product Owner

Deck Seek MIDI

"Deck Seek" function does jump to the Cue Point (or the track start) the track was startet at when it is realeased. Even when a Track is playing. Would like to have the old seek (or scan) function back where you can go through the track and it immediately play the part where you stop seeking. So you can faster get to the desired parts within a track.

Using the beat jump function for scanning a playing track does not replace this feature properly since you have to switch from loop move to "beat jump" and this is not mappable. So the feature is not available direclty.

should be changed imo.

Browser Tree Expand/Collapse:
    can only be assigned to interaction mode "direct" wich makes no sense for a button. should be next/previous

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  18. JohnnyBounty

JohnnyBounty Forum Member

You need to change the message sent by your MIDI controller, I have a BCR2000 and have changed the message sent from 'Toggle On' to 'Toggle Off'.

That does the trick

19. selector97

selector97 NI Product Owner

I cant even choose toggle..that´s my problem. I can only choose "direct" or "output" in the control configuration dropdown menu... So the trick does not work for me...even changing the message would not work since i can´t assing two states to the function.

20. adonispoly

adonispoly NI Product Owner

Well after a scary first 10 minutes with it not working before i realised i was being dumb and had mixed up my inputs/outputs, I have to say it seems pretty good!

I've not had much time for a proper mix but those effects scream potential and sound very nice. Man there's loads of weird sounds coming outta my bedroom off those bad boys.

I love the full screen browser view and the adjustable key control, the latter will come in very useful indeed. Not really played with the midi yet but have a zero 4 to programme and my vci 100 to hook up so i'll have to get my head into it 2mw.

The beatgrid/sync thing feels a lot sharper to me on the tracks that normally seem off.

That's all for now, i guess I'll really know in a few weeks when i start getting used to it.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.