Traktor S4 - Welcome to the new world

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S3 / KONTROL S4' started by PhilL, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjKurtCocaine

DjKurtCocaine Forum Member

personally i like the s4, looks decent and seems to have good functionality, there are a couple things i'm not sure about tho. NI have said a few times how good it will be for mobile dj's but then they go and leave out a dedicated mic section.

also regarding the software, NI have hardly said anything about traktor, seems like all this fuss is about the actual controller. I think there will be another announcement with more facts about traktor. And notice how in all the screen shots there isn't the little button to reveal the grid options? So i think that will have had a shake up.

2. MichelR

MichelR Forum Member

Now you made me feel like a little boy that has been whining for his christmas gift :(

3. DJ Urkel Dee

DJ Urkel Dee Forum Member

I like concept of the Kontrol S4 BUT for guys that's happy with their present hardware (like me) the anticipation for the software is highest on the list. I think there is a market for the controller especially for guys that don't want to be bothered with mapping. It took me about 2 months to FULLY wrap my head around it but I'm totally happy and wouldn't have it any other way. Now bring on that update:)

4. mest42085

mest42085 NI Product Owner

Personally I think this thing looks great. However I truly see it only being fully utilized by mobile jocks and at venues where there is no traditional dj setup. I really can't see anyone bringing the s4 to a club where there is already cdjs and a mixer and unplugging and moving it all just to play a set.

Honestly I really had no interest in buying the s4 until today. I just picked up a new gig @ a venue with no tts or cdjs (just a dual deck cd player) and only half an old school Rane mixer w/o the eq half (u know the one ;)) Now I'm like I wish I had this thing 4 tonight!

That being said, I am mighty confused why they did not include xlr outputs. Surely that's how most mobile setups run into powered speakers from their mixers... Just my 2 cents on what appears is going to be the best all in one traktor controller on the market. Now please NI... Just some more info on the new software!

5. djtravcon

djtravcon New Member

That's the most logical explanation I've heard. Thank you sir!

6. Ritchie_Jay

Ritchie_Jay NI Product Owner

Pleasure.

7. Franekk

Franekk New Member

Hi.
    I think that new features like samples and loop recorder could allow dj's to be more creative, and new controller could help in that. But just like others said - S4 could to big for many club booths , also mixing is software so djs that prefer hardware mixing, will be forced to use audio8dj and club mixer.

I think i would be better to create separate units for different situation. Here is my fast photoshop remix, i hope NI could consider this in future.
    NI_S4_RMX.jpg

8. DjStrategy

DjStrategy NI Product Owner

Nice work! What I would love to see is something like your last controller but without the jogwheel but bigger sample/cuebuttons, so I could use it alongside my TTs, Mixer and KX1 to control both sampledecks as well as the looprecorder!
    It should be the same size as the KX1 so now new stands/bags are needed to transport and get to mixerheight!;)

9. dmenace

dmenace NI Product Owner

dear NI, please add the loop stuff to TSpro, i can't really get another mixer since my tables are stuffed with stuff.

10. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

perfect, I wouldn't bought that

11. DJ-Fyah_Starter

DJ-Fyah_Starter New Member

You expressed my same sentiments to the "T"....... I have already invested in hardware and software (TSP KIT + DUO KIT not to mention i've been with TRAKTORrand from 1.5 scratch amp linux days) it's kinda hard for NI to ask me now to fork out more money for features which should have been built into it from jump street. NI's main competitor issued the update with a basic sampler play back for FREE!

With that said i've seen what the new sampler functions can do to elevate my performances as a DJ and love the work that the NI boffins have been doing but please! PLEASE! Give us the update to TSP with the sampler deck and the recorder function soon and for free... WE NEED IT!

I am,
    The Firestarter!

12. DJ Urkel Dee

DJ Urkel Dee Forum Member

+1 Although I'm a midi controller DJ I would love to get the update for Traktor Pro... I don't want to feel like a second class citizen in the process... I agree with others the new hardware looks great but like others we don't need it we need the software!

13. neodjandre

neodjandre NI Product Owner

i think it's finally time to upgrade from Traktor 3.4.1 to Traktor PRO :)

(someone who has been using Traktor for 10 years now)

my feedback on S4.. too big for club djs.. just give us the sampler software update and a Kontrol X2 .. thank you

14. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

I was gigging last nite in my weekly friday spot which is a cramped DJ booth in a 700 capacity venue. Imagine the worst DJ booth you have played in.

I use a VCI 100 and the KS4 is only 4 inches longer and i measured it up an it fits just fine.

The KS4 is not a big controller in the grand scheme of things.

Just my opinion of course.

15. neodjandre

neodjandre NI Product Owner

maybe it looks bigger on the internet... if I see it physically I might change my opinion.. however, I have been to DJ booths where even having a Kontrol X1 and a laptop is very hard to fit without disconnecting one deck for example...

I know it's not relevant to the topic so please PM me if you know of any lightweight easy to use laptop stands.. :)

16. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

17. loopbg

loopbg NI Product Owner

18. Steinz

Steinz Forum Member

Im almost certain they will eventually release a modular controller, they would be stupid not to. in true N.I style they will probs have to iron out all the initial problems / bugs first

19. DjScramble

DjScramble New Member

20. Steve Zorilow

Steve Zorilow NI Product Owner

Denon's seems to a real standalone Mixer & controller, 2 Mic inputs, booth level... but I doubt of it's reliability. Also everything seems so close to each other. Mobile disco may find it better than S4. No Meter for each input though. It's more like a VMS4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.