1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Traktor S8 Level Meters

Discussion in 'KONTROL S5/ KONTROL S8' started by Aleix Jiménez, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Aleix Jiménez

Aleix Jiménez NI Product Owner

Hi, Level Meters for clipping and for channel haven’t still been fixed on version 3.02... any clues or why they are still not working? They have been fixed for S4 MK3 and S2 MK3, but not for S8...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nick Moon

Nick Moon NI Product Owner

I improved this by changing the following line in Channel.qml from:
    Code:
    LEDLevelMeter { name: "meter"; dBThresholds: [-30,-20,-10,-6,-4,-2,0,2,4,6,8] }
    to:
    Code:
    LEDLevelMeter { name: "meter"; segments: 11 }

3. Moonified

Moonified NI Product Owner

this does improve the meter accuracy considerably, but to get the level just peaking on orange, you are turning the gain down massively, which makes it sound quiet.

4. Nick Moon

The change I suggested was based on how things were coded in the S4Mk3 QML files. For me the change has restored the functionality to how it was in TP2. And my S8 channel meters now match the TP3 on-screen channel meters. My conclusion is this issue arose because NI did not pick it up whilst testing the S8 with TP3, or if they did, could not be bothered to release a fix.

I'm not an expert in this area but from what I've seen from non controller club setups is channel output into orange was usually ok to the point of red. All my tracks have been consistently leveled using Platinum Notes and all output into orange on the S8 channel meters, I rarely need to adjust the gain when mixing or otherwise from 0db (due to the track preparation), I experience no clipping, and the Master Output level meter in TP3 is mainly in the blue.

5. slinksta007

slinksta007 New Member

Hey Nick, Could you direct me to where to do this and how? ie with screenshots and description underneath, or perhaps a screen recording of you doing it and talking the way through it...? I'm not a coder so have no clue sub GUI.. :(

6. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

Does anyone know if Nick Moon's fix will work on the S5? The metering & sync issues caused me to revert to T Pro 2.11. They've fixed the sync/keylock issues, but I've been reluctant to upgrade again because the metering one is hugely inconvenient. Thanks!

7. Nick Moon

Sorry, I'm really stuck for time at the moment (hence delays in releasing even a beta of my complete set of mods).

I can attach the file, which should work if you have no other changes made to that file on your setup, and are able to:
    1) Operate a program that will unzip a .zip file (the NI forum does not allow .qml files to be directly uploaded)
    2) Use Windows File Explorer or macOS finder to navigate to where the qml files reside
    3) Backup the existing qml file(s) in case of problems
    4) Copy the supplied file into a folder I can specify
    5) In the event of issues, restore the backed up file

If the above is within your skillset let me know if you use Windows or macOS Traktor.

Also regards me doing narrated videos, whilst I may have a face I feel was built for radio, my voice is not!

8. Nick Moon

Well the S5 Channel.qml file has the same line as the S8 Channel.qml file so I'd suggest giving it a try and reporting back for other S5 users :thumbsup:

9. Moonified

Moonified NI Product Owner

Anyone know if 3.1 fixes the level meter issue on the s8 ? I've not had a chance yet to try it out.

10. Aleix Jiménez

Aleix Jiménez NI Product Owner

No... it doesn’t... still same as 3.0.2, already tested...

11. Nick Moon

They have made a change in Channel.qml for the S8 - I will look properly over next couple of days. As far as I can see that is the only QML change in TP3.1!

12. boysteve

Oops, just saw this! I'll see what the verdict is on 3.1 with the S5, and if that hasn't fixed it (I'm doubting it will), I'll give the qml fix a go. Thanks!

13. Nick Moon

My assessment is this has not been fixed in TP3.1 - I've applied the fix I created for TP3.0.2 and that appears to work as I originally posted.

14. boysteve

Sigh. Thanks for letting us know! I'll give the QML line a go as well and report back on how it works for the S5.

Despite NI's assurances to the contrary, I'm pretty convinced that they don't 't have a whole lot planned to continue supporting the S5 & S8. And I really don't want one of the new controllers. Wahh.

15. boysteve

I'm sorry to report that the channel.qml mod doesn't work for me on the S5. On TPro 3.1, the gain has to be set very low to correspond to the levels showing on the screen output levels. Very small adjustments of the gain knob cause dramatic raise to the controller's level indicator, peaking out well before the gain is halfway up, but with the Traktor screen's levels just entering the orange.

I haven't recorded a mix with 3.1 yet, but I'll see if there's any improvement over the level discrepancies in 3.01. (My guess is no.)