1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Traktor Scratch and Ableton Live on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by sijaffer, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sijaffer

sijaffer NI Product Owner

I have TS 1.1.1 and Ableton Live Lite 6.0.10. when I start TS and then Ableton. the TS does not work. It just stops to respond and no sound.

Macbook Pro 17 2.4, 4gb ram, all songs on external HD.

2. sijaffer

Any one have this issue. it is buggin the heck out of me and support claims to call Ableton. I dont think it is Ableton's issue since TS falters.

3. sijaffer

Also the tempo on the Ableton does not match with the bpm on the song. this works flawlessly on a PC with windows MP. same song in TS and same beat in Ableton.

4. signaturex

signaturex NI Product Owner

hey there...

this is a functioning bug..

... i have the same issue with ableton not keeping perfect track of traktor's transport.

I think this is due to the two different types of transport.. ableton is very much a sequencer and traktor is very much a turntable. IM not sure if this is exactly it. but it makes alot of sense and i have been doing some special set-ups to test it and tweak it a little bit.

Ill post back here in a minute with something i just did recently

so this is a picture of traktor sending time code to ableton and then ableton running a loop of trigger keys for pitch bend adjustment and program punch-ins. and then sending those triggers back to traktor.

of interest is the pitch bend adjust ment. traktor might lag or run ahead of ableton. and you will also notice that ableton's clock is a little slower. It will go slower and then faster. but never exactly the same as traktor. once i implemetned the pitch adjustment loop traktor kept almost perfect timing with ableton.

food for thought any way.

Attached Files:

5. sijaffer

Thanks for the response, but the real issue i that 9/10 times TS just stops the sound and the decks dont play. I think this is really an issue with the Audio 8DJ.

I have this same setup on another Windows laptop and it work fine. I have searched the forum and it seems this should work. Now on the mac the latercy is controlled by the individual application, where on the pc the audio 8DJ latency is in the control panel.

6. signaturex

im using a ppc g4 167

On these new books. --- im afraid that things are getting down right scandolous with different platforms and compatability.... etc. i have no problem running any app into any app and my IAC buses in my g4 are great for bending midi stuff around. Im going to find a g5 for my next computer and put it in with my rack gear.

also I use an older motu traveler and my stock audio card alot. Im buying an old FS2 system to keep it all sort of current ya know:D .. hee hee. anyway..

sorry you are having trouble with the two programs not cooperating

oh right .. hey i read something about setting the audio buffers up identicle and the latency and such. .. higher latencey settings have been helping my system alot.. BUt I don't use scratch as yet. so .. im sure ill be struggling somewhere along the line.

Another thing you might try is running ableton on the stock sound card. ... and traktor on the audio 8. wierd but possible.

7. sijaffer

I have tried one other thing,

I installed the presonus firebox and routed the Ableton to the firebox and TS to the Audio 8DJ. This setup works on the MacBook Pro. I would still think there is a bug on the Audio 8 DJ drivers that is causing this to fail on the Macs. There are no tempo issues as mentioned in the trail of this thread.

8. signaturex

9. sijaffer

Regardless of this working with Presonus, there still is an issue, I think, with the Audio 8 DJ MacBook Pro drivers. God know what other i will get this in-compatibility.

10. signaturex

you have looked through the A8 forum right.. and the traktor scratch forum

?

I had a rare issue today .. a kernal panick.. a pertty serious error on my machine had to call tech support!

11. sijaffer

No, I have just posted this on the TS section. Please fill me in on the issue. I would like to keep a lookout for it.

12. signaturex

yesterday i was burning dvds from the ppc and cleaningup my external drives etc. housecleaning day. and i was also browsing. and listening to music. ... and i went to get a cup of coffee and when i came back.. there was a strange screen on my computer .. it said to hold down the power key and restart.

so i did so...

and then it restarted as usual but then i noticed my home folder was missing and then my key board started malfunctioning. so i called apple and they walked me through some stuff and it turns out i had experienced a kernal panick which can be pretty destrucitve. Evidently I had run out of room on my internal drive and caused a failure. so Iwill not do that agailn ..! need to keep the internal drive half full all the time.. even when just doing house cleaning!

13. sijaffer

That sux.. the glass is neither half empty nor half full :). I will keep an eye out for that. do you have Leapard?

14. signaturex

no just tiger... i was reading a forum about logic last night and its relationship with leopard. Seems that leopard may be less geared for our professional audio applications than we would like. so .. undoubtably there may be problems encountered when using it with traktor. another thing I read was that our PPC days were numbered.. and that sort of scared me. I had planned on buying a g5 this year to take advantage of dropping ppc based software prices and core tech like 16 gigs of ram for 500 dollars. :cool: stuff like this and also the changing drm bologne has prompted me to think I need to live in the past. at least until the future is certain. !

15. claytonthechemist

claytonthechemist NI Product Owner

I'm curious to see how this thread turns out. I'm getting a macbook pro in April and am wanting to use TS and Live simultaneously.

16. sijaffer

Here is another issue that I just figured out. I have about 11 thousands songs. I left the machine to analyse everyone from the iTunes "Library" playlist. After 2 and a half days of non-stop analysis, I qued a song and there play button would not work, no audio/sound. I shut restarted TS and it worked, but when I went to the prefrences and changed the latency, it stopped again. I was not able to play the que'ed song on either of the decks. I am not sure if I had to have my left, right or both legs up when trying to do this, but non of the methods worked. I then shut down the machine since it was time for work. I will try again after giving the machine a rest for more than 4 hours.

Again, I would like to re-iterate. There is something wrong with the Audio 8 DJ Mac drivers. This does not happen on a PC..

Also need to ask the TS gurus what is the recommended latency for Audio 8 DJ on a MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz w/ 4gig ram.

17. signaturex

i think dj quartz and the native girl are the gurus .. you say help quartZ""

another thing to think of is the USB port .. these ports usb 2 are designed for four channels of 44.1 khz audio. a fifth and sixth are made possible by inputs. .. the audio eight is too big for its britches .. in my opinion and sadly has about a 12 month life span .. forseeing the upgrade of usb to the fastest connection on the platform in the next year or so. will the audio 8 make this leap as well. ?

"""it stopped again. I was not able to play the que'ed song on either of the decks. I am not sure if I had to have my left, right or both legs up when trying to do this, but non of the methods worked. I then shut down the machine since it was time for work. I will try again after giving the machine a rest for more than 4 hours."""

huh? legs up? are you being hilarious. :)

18. sijaffer

Well, I need to know which is better, to use the itunes library or import the itunes library and playlists. I tired to load the song from the itunes library, but sometimes the deck name and that played star did not showup next to the song in the browser. Also, it seems to loose the analysis that was done. dont know whats up..

19. signaturex

20. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

urghs. itunes AND mac issue. hit me on my blind spot... :eek:

if no maccie can help you here in the thread, please contact the support!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.