Traktor Scratch CRASHES

Discussion in 'Technical Issues' started by darren-c, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

update + weird alien green icon!

hi all

I'd just like to update and say thanks for all the feedback re this post.

everythings been running fine since. I doubled the ram and did an archive and install after getting the last update for TS which I think alone fixed the bug/prob. ever since the system has been very stable, although the interface has been doing some strange things.. when Im in vinyle mode, the left hand channel shows not the record and tone arm icon, but instead the absolute mode icon. it all works fine the the timecoded vinyl, but still just show this singular record icon and sometimes its green! it works, but is a bit off putting to say the least...

any ideas on what that might be anyone? :S

darren

2. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

The absolute mode indicator was changed to green in 1.1.

So if it's green, you're in absolute mode.

Keep in mind, the button with the tonearm is Absolute mode, the button with just a record is Relative mode.

3. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

sorry, what I mean is that when Im using the vinyl the icon should be the one with the tone arm, but its not, its always just the record icon without the tone arm.

4. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

it *should* be both, depending on what you are doing.

have a look a the manual about the playback modes (relative and absolute) and their buttons.

relative modee turns itself on, if you're using loops etc. and also if you have calibrating issues, but then you have additional info in the scratch window. if that's the case you should describe these.

5. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

...UPDATE...

Oh dear, TS has crashed again twice infact during two separate live gigs abroad in front of lots of people. Very, very, very embarrassing - and yes I have the crash report/log and will be submitting it asap.

The problems I & my dj partner (who also bought TS just after me) have been encountering are as follows:

1) Random crashes & Freezing during play - with nothing specific to trigger the crash. That alone is - horrific. I thought the last update would fix that ongoing problem, but no.

2) The two scratch panels A & B at the top sometimes say "Wrong Mode" yet, when I put the needle on the time coded vinyl, it works fine but the icon goes to 'relative' not 'absolute' - as it should be. I guess that's to do with what native girl said above;
    naitive girl: "relative modee turns itself on, if you're using loops etc. and also if you have calibrating issues". Ok, so if its a calibration issue then how do I fix it? It's very off putting &stressful when you can see out the corner of your eye "wrong..."

3) Phase meter jumping all over the place - when in absolute mode using both time coded vinyls with what should be the tone arm icon, but is the relative icon, the phase meters can sometimes go mental and jump up and down like crazy, and no its not when I switch to a normal vinyl

Anyway, its been some months since I wrote this thread and in that time I've spoken to a lot of people. I was very close to trying to use a PC for TS - instead of my Mac, as a few people suggested, not a bad idea I thought as I've worked both with PCs and Mac's (for graphic design) for over 7 years and from my experience, PCs dont crash nearly as much as Mac's or Mac apps do when worked hard. As ridiculous as it is though, I still prefer to use Mac's and most my music & design apps are Mac based, for that reason I would like to get to the bottom of this & try and get this damn TS running smooth on my Mac - without installing XP on my MacBook Pro which I thought might be a good idea until I read how many people have been experiencing the same problems using a PC!

So I'm at a bit of a crossroads it seems, the facts are that my 2gb RAM Macbook Pro is more that capable of using this software, I've made the updates and tried all the optimisation suggested, as well as other users tips such as using a fan to keep the heat down etc... and STILL the Traktor Scratch crashes.

Last chance now. I'm going to try to fix this calibration message error (mentioned above), then give this TS two more months playing live. If in that time, it still crashes on me then I'm gonna get rid of if because its just too unreliable and way too time consuming and stressful. I mean enough is enough and I just haven't this amount of time to be testing, reading & writing these posts & sending off flamin crash log reports.

6. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

OK I want to try and install & use TS on a spare PC laptop that I now have. Does anyone know what the procedure is for doing this? I mean am I licensed to have TS on two machines? If so should I just download the latest demo then activate? Oh yea, Where do I find my activation code as I cant remember where I put that?

7. DJ Freshfluke

definitely something for the support. what about heat? i know a lot of mac users that have to use coolers because their macs get so hot. this can cause various *strange* issues that seem to be unrelated to everything.

no wonder! the message *wrong in mode* tells you that you're in wrong input mode. e.g. in CD mode, when trying to calibrate vinyl. so make sure, the audio 8 is set on the right mode!
    this happens also, when you would try to use a finalscratch record, btw.
    how does the control signal picture look like?
    how does the calibration meter look like?

things to check also: weight and adjustment of the tonearm

no wonder, because the phase meters have nothing to do with normal vinyl. they have something to do with your digital tracks.

i recommend you to read in your TS manual a bit more... regarding the phase meter, it's chapter *Using the Phase Meter* on page 83. but there are also chapters about calibration etc.

@ jay michael: shall i now list all DJs i know personally that use TS succesful on their computers? ;)
    btw, your tickets have been taken care of.

8. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

UPDATE*** (Thanks for your quick feedback NGirl.)

Re Ngirls comments above;

1) I do use a fan behind my Mac when playing

2) But yes I am a twat! & hadn't notcied that the button on the Audio interface had been pressed again 9maybe in my bag!) and was on CD instead of timecoded vinyl. I tested it last night by restarting my Mac, changing the mode to timecoded vinyl - and yes it works perfectly! thank the lord. I fully admit that this was infact my own fault for overseeing this simple thing.

The signals on both channels is a little different, but generally its all working fine & the scratch icons are now both correct - Absolute.

Re phase meters, they were working fine as well last night. So all good right now.

Hopefully this will continue to work when I play out live at my next few gigs & I will re-gain my much needed loss of confidence regarding Traktor Scratch. - that will remain to be seen at the gig & will be the true test. I will keep you all posted on how I get on...

Lastly, I would just like to add that I also successfully installed and ran TS on my spare PC laptop and it worked perfectly - all apart from one slighly annoying thing... 'almost' - everytime I touched the trackpad on the PC, there was some weird kind of interference sound that came out the speakers. Sounds like an earthing problem I guess. Any ideas anyone? please just dont say 'use a mouse' - that is where I draw the line between DJing and using my computer :)

9. DJ Freshfluke

this is one of the things that happens only once... if you have the new driver installed, you can choose *software lock* in the audio 8 dj settings application. then the mode will never change.
    and yes, i learned that the hard way, too ;)

sounds like that... or an incorrect driver... i have no quick solution or idea to that, sorry...

10. darren-c

darren-c Forum Member

A
    A Cool, that's sorted now
    B This turned out to be interference from the PC computer's wi-fi, which once I turned off, was sounding fine again. :)

11. DJ Freshfluke

ah, great. good to hear it's all fine now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.