1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Traktor (Scratch) Pro - MIDI construction & Issues

Discussion in 'DJ Controllers' started by PhilL, Oct 31, 2008.

1. elefanc

elefanc Forum Member

Thank you for your answer, i have now understand how it works.

2. uchin

uchin New Member

got me xone 1d mapped out to control the effects and decks.
    it rocks
    2 1200
    numark 1820x
    traktor scratch pro
    1 xone 1d

3. nimer

nimer New Member

TSI for the M-Audio Xponent

Hi everyone!

I am glad I found this forum, thanks for all the support, I have learned really quickly how to set everything up in TSP. I have been struggling with the config stuff for 3 days now, and I am about to finish a really nice TSI for the Xponent, but now I am willing to do something that keeps me pulling my hair out...

Within the current configuration I have set up two "switched" modifiers and every control related to them works like a charm (Ie. M5=0 CueMix=CueMix ; M5=1 CueMix=CueVol ; Also I have one led displaying correctly which mode I am currently in) except for the lights, I want to set up the "progress bar" in the Xponent to display the song length while in mode M5=0, and display the Beat Phase while in mode M5=1.

The fact is it always displays the song length in M5=0, but in M5=1 it just gets crazy and starts displaying a mixture of the phase data and the length data... any clues ?

Thanks in advance for any lead, I will be uploading the TSI as soon as it is completely working if any of you want to try it

Best regards from spain !

Note: I have made some tests trying to display the current tempo of the songs in progress bars as well, one of my settings goes: Tempo Deck A Output cc19 (ch4) with the blend active and the ranges correctly chosen. The fact is it displays correctly the tempo of the song WHILE changing it, if I stop to move the tempo slider, then the lights assigned just go off... It doesn't make any sense to me, can be the hardware of the Xponent broken in any way or is it the regular behaviour of TSP?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  4. as22

as22 NI Product Owner

hey uchin can you try assigning one of your rotaries to an effect pot and let me know if you get a smooth turn on the knob in both directions(clock and counter-clock)? Also how are you setting up your rotaries (3f or 7h)? Thanks

5. DoubleStaxx

DoubleStaxx New Member

Just got TS Pro a few days ago and I am attempting to setup the MIDI controls for my new Korg Nano Pad. When I go to MIDI setup I see Nano Pad (Emulated) in the MIDI In and MIDI Out sections. I have double clicked on both to activate it. When I push a button on it the MIDI light does not light up in the header and when I try to set it to Learn a new function to control the effects nothing seems to happen. What am I doing wrong? Thanx!

6. nimer

nimer New Member

Hi DoubleStaxx, If it helps you, I had to check only the "emulated" ones, as the regular ones did not work at all

7. uchin

uchin New Member

yo all my 1d functions are used. no more messing w/ the mouse.
    scroll tracks, load, seek cdj tracking dial and tempo control.
    fader and knobs for effects and looping.
    man just saved myself thousands not having to get a set of cd players and new mixer.

8. as22

as22 NI Product Owner

What are your settings for your rotary knobs?

9. DoubleStaxx

DoubleStaxx New Member

The only ones that I see in midi setup are emulated nano pads and I have both of them checked off. It still didnt seem to work at all. :angry:

10. FpDj

FpDj NI Product Owner

I am using 2 controllers* for Traktor Pro and would like to know what the workflow is for dealing with the TSI. It would be much more efficient and communally effective to be able to work with one TSI file per controller and then 'merge them' within Traktor. It would be ideal to be able to update them separately as well.

Also is there a way to export the TSI in a legible form? (Like what you see in the Preferences Midi Mapping Window) (How about making that window expandable as well)

This would obviously help immeasurably in developing maps.

thanks

*VCI-100se, nanoKontrol, OS X

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  11. trick mo

trick mo Forum Member

Well, you might want to double-check your mapping of the jog wheels... I am not familiar with your MIDI controller, but with mine the wheels emit two different MIDI notes when key lock is on, so I had to map them twice.

Anyways, you also should check out the effect: Turntable effects. It is kind of strange, but it can simulate a backspin and some other things, too.

12. koukops

koukops NI Product Owner

DoubleStaxx maybe you should try only with midi in checked.
    Also make sure that the nano is connected to your computer before opening traktor.

13. Raggio

Raggio NI Product Owner

i use a Behringer BCR2000 and i use the CD-DJ Jogg (not the Jogg 3Fh;41h but the other type) but i use a very low sensitivity and the "invert" function. In this way is perfect for pitch-bendng!

14. goonzy

goonzy Modérateur

yep I'll check the turntable FXs... and will have a look to the "officila" midi map for the controler see if it works as I want to.

15. DoubleStaxx

DoubleStaxx New Member

Ive only checked the midi in as well. Traktor doesnt seem to be picking up the nano pad at all. Frustrating......

16. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

[MIDI Theory] 103 What's in a message?

Almost everyone new to MIDI is daunted by what it means. All that cabling and protocol stuff stuff is not for the faint of heart. Fortunately with the new controllers on the market using USB, knowledge of the wiring and mechanics merging really is not really necessary. There are a few things though that anyone creating presets for controllers should know especially when it comes to messages and control types. As far a Traktor is concerned the number and type of messages is fairly limited. That does not mean you can’t do a lot of things its just the more complex message types are not read for what they are. Traktor knows how to deal with 2 message types Absolute and Relative, we won’t bore you with the gory details of 1’s complement because its more than you need to know with respect to Traktor and MIDI.

So lets rewind just a little and cover some basics. Some stuff you learn here is just useful trivia it will mean something more later on but it needs to be thrown out now for context. First off, MIDI is a 7 bit command set, any part of a message sent is just seven bits in length. It means that any byte value sent is in the range of 0 hex to 7f hex. Those hex numbers translate to 0 decimal to 127 decimal. A standard general MIDI message is made up of 3 bytes. and each are 7 bits in length, actually its commonly 8 but the high order bit is set to 0, So when you see a raw message it consists of 3 Bytes. The names for those each of the bytes are Channel, Parameter and Value.
    The MIDI spec allows 16 Channels (requiring 4 bits of the channel byte) . It allows 127 Parameters (uses 7 bits of the parameter Byte) and values in the range of 0 to 127 also 7bits. Its sometimes easiest to think of the whole thing as a 16 drawer file cabinet and each draw has 127 folders for parameters. Into each folder a single message at a time can be kept. Anytime a MIDI message comes in the sending file clerk checks the message and puts the message into the right draw and folder. If there is already a file message in the folder that message is taken out thrown away and the new message is placed in the folder. It is up to the receiving file clerk to check all the folders regularly and to hand off the message to the correct midi control. Its the job of the receiver to check for ALL messages but to take copies of messages only for those it has on its assignment list.

Senders; .i.e.MIDI controllers have no idea what may be on the other end of signal path and they really don’t care, at least in terms of sending the actual message. All that it knows is that if it can send the message then do so. General MIDI has no notion of source or target device in a MIDI message. In its most basic setup, anything connected to the MIDI chain can hear any message produced by any other device connected on the chain.

OK, so before we look at tools for examining MIDI messages, lets see what we’ve got so far:
    MIDI Messages: 3 Bytes, 7bits each, MIDI spec supports 16 channels, each channel can support 127 parameters. Each parameter can have a value assigned, ranging from 0 to 127 dec.
    MIDI Messages have no source or destination Address.
    Electrical and low level protocol understanding is not necessary for a basic understanding of MIDI.
    OK, got that? We continue...

When you are having trouble getting the right action to be performed in Traktor, its worth having a tool or two around to check to see just what your controller is sending. IMO the two best weapons of choice to do this are MIDI Monitor for OSX and MIDI-OX for Windows. MIDI Monitor is a great basic tool for monitoring message as thaqt come off your controller heading to Traktor. It does not have an elaborate feature list but it does just what you need to know what is going on.
    MIDI-OX for Windows is legendary in the MIDI hack circles and can do it all.

Both tools will at least allow you to see what message Traktor would receive for a given control and with a vey small amount of practice you’ll get to understand the differences in behavior for the two button modes and for the various absolute and relative modes applied to knobs. It will mean when you program your controller to do something and it doesn’t do what you think it should then at least you can look at the message being produced to see if the problem is actually the controller message and not the programming you’ve done. I’ve had two recent cases where someone was fighting with their controller, and the trace from MIDI-OX showed that their programming was mostly OK, it was that the controller was not producing the exactly the messages they thought it was. In both MIDI tools ech line lists the Chnnel the message Parameter number and finally the value for the parameter.

Finally some behaviors to note when it comes to Traktor and the values in messages.
    For buttons, any value that is non zero is generally considered an ‘ON’ state.
    A button that is working in hold mode will produce two messages, one on the press side and one on the release side.
    A button working in toggle mode will produce one value (non zero – normally 127) for the first press and release cycle and another (normally zero) for the second.
    A controller button that is in toggle mode will give the appearance for needing to be pressed twice to perform the action in Traktor.
    A control in Traktor in absolute mode being acted upon by a knob in relative mode (01:7F) will give the appearance of going from 0 to 100% and nothing else in-between.
    Traktors trigger action does not seem to care what the message value is, All that is needed is a valid MIDI message for the parameter the midi control is bound to.
    You can use a relative control producing (3F:41) assigned to a rotary controller type in Traktor. The result is a very coarse control.

This is a very simplified look at some of the basic aspects of MIDI messages. There is a lot skipped (for now) because its not necessary to understand and some stuff is a little blury because when it comes to MIDI there is almost always more than one way to skin-da-kitty.

17. surferrosa

surferrosa NI Product Owner

Xone 1d tsi

Hi Just got Traktor Pro. Was fairly happy with my 1d tks file on traktor 3 running 2 decks. The tsi on Pro is 4 decks by default it seems and the layout is completely different. Am I going to have to do a complete remap or are there ant 2 deck tsi files out there. Couldnt find any help on the a& H website.
    Best Rob

18. IMBoris

IMBoris New Member

I have four leds I want to link to the highlighted Deck (a,b,c,d). I can't find a way of doing this without using modifiers.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

19. FpDj

FpDj NI Product Owner

PhilL - lesson 102?

Thanks for all the work -did we miss lesson 102? More practical examples of multiple modifiers would be great.

Here is one I just got to work -

I was assuming you can set a modifier value inside another modifier to turn it off.

example:
    currently have play/pause deck c m3-1, m4-0

I want to retain m4-0 value for above and add m6-6
    but TP only has Mod1 and Mod2 place holders
    so I thought I could set up Modifier 6 with a modifier value of m4-0 and this would carry through

So I then set: play/pause deck c m3-1, m6-6
    and its working -

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  20. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Yes my apologies lesson 102 in fact being baked I'm testing some advanced samples It should be out in a few days.

Phil