Traktor Scratch with only one Turntable?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by BassBoss, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassBoss

BassBoss New Member

can be used the traktor scratch with only a turntable?

in serato and torq it is possible and i want to known if traktor
    scratch can do it.

in serato is by switch mode and in torq is called amputate mode.

2. Spyral

Spyral NI Product Owner

Yes. It is possible. Please use the search feature before asking this type of question though. It's already been brought up and answered in another topic.

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

i dont know how it works in ssl or torq, but it works in TS also.
    at the end of the (forthcoming updated) manual , in the tips & tricks chapter, there will be a section about it.
    at the moment, the description is missing in the manual.

4. BassBoss

BassBoss New Member

can you describe it now here?
    i dont know how to do it...

thanks...

5. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

I to am the same way... I am like the Def Leppard drummer... left side only...

Actually I think he is right arm only...

6. DJ Freshfluke

you have to make use of the *deck duplicate* feature in combination with the internal player...

you're duplicating the track you have mixed to into the other deck that runs in internal mode.

7. BassBoss

BassBoss New Member

but the "duplicate deck" feature has a volume increase that is very molesting in the middle of a session....and sometimes it seems like a flanger effect.

thanks

8. buenputter

buenputter NI Product Owner

I did not try it yet but I guess that it should be possible as well as follows:
    (assuming that the turnie is connected to In 1/2 Channel A)

Do whatever you wanna do with the first song in Deck A in relative or absolute mode (cueing, scratching, pitching, ...). When the song is playing like as you like it, then switch Deck A into internal mode.

Next assign the left turntable to Deck B. Do whatever you wanna do with the track in Deck B. After mixing that track, switch Deck B into internal Mode.

Assign the left turntable to Deck A...

Please let us know if this procedere works!

9. BassBoss

BassBoss New Member

changin assign there is an audio cut!
    the duplicate deck mode is the right thing to do it...but there is a volume increase...

10. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Well, of course you need to use the crossfader to switch audio from A to B *after* you duplicate the deck.
    Don't play both decks at the same time.

11. DJ Freshfluke

here are the two ways of working with a single turntable:

Single Turntable Mode (Method I)
    This method makes use of two hotkeys that can be assigned to a key of your computer keyboard or a midi controller.
    If you don’t know how to setup hotkeys, please read chapter 17 (MIDI and Hotkeys).

In this example, the turntable is connected to the IN 1|2 on the AUDIO 8 DJ. If you’re using a TRAKTOR Scratch Certified mixer, connect the turntable to the inputs of the left deck.

Set up the following hotkeys :
    Assign Deck to Left Scratch Control with controller attribute Deck A
    Assign Deck to Left Scratch Control with controller attribute Deck B

With this two hotkeys you can switch back the control signal from deck to deck.

If Deck A is playing in Absolute/ Relative Mode and you switch with the hotkey to control Deck B, Deck A automatically switches playback to Internal Mode.

This tip was shared by Betatester Jorge M.

Single Turntable Mode (Method II)
    This method utilizes the Duplicate Deck feature in a creative way.

• Load a track into Deck A (in Absolute/ Relative Mode).
    • Duplicate Deck A into Deck B (playing in Internal Mode).
    • Crossfade to Deck B.
    • Load new track into Deck A.
    • Perform your transition and crossfade to Deck A.
    • Duplicate Deck A (Absolute/ Relative Mode) into Deck B (Internal Mode).
    • Crossfade to Deck B.
    • Load new track into Deck A.
    • Repeat the steps as described in the sentences before.

This tip was shared by Betatester Slawomir

12. buenputter

...actually, have been on the decks on the weekend and the procedure worked for me without any drop-outs like I explained it above!

Extension:
    It even worked flawlessly when not switching from absolute mode via internal mode to Vinyl-control of the other Deck, but when just changing the Deck controlled by the single-turntable.
    When hitting the Button for the other Deck (A or B) the formerly controlled deck switched instantly to internal mode and I did not experience a single drop-out!

Therefore, this seems to be (Method III).

Can anyone reproduce the switching of the controlled Deck without drop-outs?

13. garret

garret NI Product Owner

I'm thinking of the Traktor Scratch Crossgrade offer. Yea, I know, kinda last minute! :confused:

Is what is described in this thread as easy as what the DJ is doing in this video? (which seems almost effortless) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUSGaUrHxc&mode=related&search=

Cheers,
    G

<edit>
    I've just noticed that she isn't using the cross fader.
    </edit>

14. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

works for me to. Just tried it yesterday a couple times...

15. BassBoss

BassBoss New Member

Thanks but i sell TS and i buy serato.
    and is much more easy to do it in serato.
    like the girl in the you tube video.

16. nik39

nik39 NI Product Owner

It is not easier to do in ScratchLIVE (the name of the software/hardware is ScratchLIVE not Serato. Serato is the company ;) ). SSL's is capable of both methods outlined by native-girl, the method the lady demonstrates in the youtube video is basically method 1.

17. DJ Scorpio69

DJ Scorpio69 NI Product Owner

I have no drop out issues doing the A B switch for one turntable...it switches to internal automatically...

18. buenputter

Thanx-a-lot! Good to hear that I am not on my own!

19. Graphx

Graphx New Member

Hi

I'm trying to get my Tractor Scratch to work in single deck mode and also as a sound card for Music production/listening to on board sound (itunes/eyeTV). Is this possible?

I've managed to get single turntable mode working using the above (method I) but am having a few problems....

a) I am unable to play vinyl when using deck B in Traktor. When I switch to phono on my mixer when using deck B in Traktor there is no sound.

b) When I play vinyl on deck A it sounds very different to mp3's. Its tinny and almost sounds as though it is distorting. The quality does not sound as good as it should, having come from traditional DJing.

c) No sound output from itunes/eyeTV etc. I thought it would pass through the mixer and out of its master to my powered monitors (Yamaha HS-50M) as it does when DJing, but no.

Any help greatly appreciated.

20. Graphx

Graphx New Member

Bump. This place is dead.

Not impressed with Traktor Scratch so far. I really though you would be able to use it as a sound card as well as the digital DJing, and no volume control!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.