Traktor Single Deck Controller?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by plastictoast, Jan 4, 2019.

1. plastictoast

plastictoast New Member

I know NI recently discontinued the D2 before this new generation of Traktor gear that's coming out, so I'm hoping something like this is in the pipeline.

Basically my and my bro have a setup similar to the likes of Tale of Us, Mind Against, Martinz Bros, etc - Two laptops, synced via Traktor Link (see my other thread on this though as it's a nightmare) and each use our own controllers into a little "summing" mixer.

The eventual plan is to buy an A&H Xone 96, which seems more than ideal. Plenty of channels and amazing analogue quality, plus two separate monitoring sections, two USB soundcards meaning no need for hundreds of cables, and apparently if you record on one laptop internally in Traktor it records the mix from both laptops - perfect!

However the question then is control. I currently use an X1 (Mk2) and an A&H K2, but my bro uses a Pioneer DDJ SB2 which he's used to, and a spare X1 I have for FX controls, etc as the SB2 is designed for Serato and the deck controls, while mapped correctly, are a bit clunky.

A couple of X1s each would be ideal, but he loves the jogwheel, and to be honest the way the acts I mention use CDJ2000NXS2s in HID mode it's clear he's not alone. It looks professional and gives you that nice solid feel. But it's a "fix" that isn't ideal and at nearly £10,000 for four, extremely expensive.

So my suggestion for NI is a full deck controller like the D2, but with a nice big jogwheel, like the one on the S4 Mk3 (though a touch bigger would be nice) and all the controls. Essentially imagine just chop one of the deck sections of the S4 off and beef it up a bit. Perfect, and I imagine all sorts of people from amateur DJs right the way up to the king himself (Carl Cox) would find a great use for it. After all, Cox uses the now discontinued D2s, but likes to have CDJs too in HID mode for the big jogwheels.

So I'm hoping something like this is in progress, but if not, get on it NI! :)

2. Kevin Becher

Kevin Becher NI Product Owner

That type of controller has been asked for for years and nothing happened.
    I moved on to rekordbox DJ.
    You could just get two XDJ-700s / -1000s and be happy.

3. plastictoast

plastictoast New Member

Even the more expensive XDJ1000 has hardly any of the buttons/features the deck section of an S4 Mk3 has, it doesn't even have any hotcue buttons. And one unit costs over £1000.

It's bizarre, but Traktor could corner the market with this. Like I say, loads of the pros (and lets face it, it's mainly pros who can afford to use 4xCDJs) use Traktor now, as do most novice bedroom DJs. The only reason you see CDJs in a booth at a club/festival nowadays, for an increasing number of big name acts, is so they can control Traktor in HID mode. Even for those who don't use Traktor, CDJs are just digital media players with some controls on them nowadays, they're just standard because everyone used to use CDs, and in the post-CD era they're still the most familiar and feature filled option.

Like I say, I'm hoping NI are planning this anyway, but they'd seemingly be daft not to.

4. Kevin Becher

Kevin Becher NI Product Owner

But when combined with the DDJ-XP1, they can do almost everything that Traktor can, especially when using them as controllers in rekordbox DJ.
    What price would you suggest for a professional, full size standalone jog wheel controller?

I'd say that is only true for Europe and the electronic music scene, at best.
    The pros use USB sticks and Serato, the best selling entry level controllers in the US are all Serato.

I have asked and wished for the controller you describe so many times over the years, as did many others.
    NI still does not care and so do I, now.

5. Dj Kad

Dj Kad NI Product Owner

Asked for years too.
    Lot of people already own A&H, Pioneer, Urei and other professional mixers. Can't understand what they are waiting for. Probably their target has changed to bedroom djs, hobbists and mobile djs.

6. Dj Kad

Dj Kad NI Product Owner

I've seen a youtube video of someone that opened an S4 mk3. It seems that deck circuits are separated from the central mixer unit. At the end i will buy one S4 mk3 and i'll remove the mixer side with a saw I would place my pioneer mixer over the S4mk3 mixer pcb so i Will finally have 2 single decks controllers. Trust me, i'm mad and i could try that

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Brian J.

Brian J. NI Product Owner

If you the balls to try it, make sure you upload the video to YouTube!

Mad respect if it works