1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Traktor + Spotify?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Brandon_U-ATX, Jul 19, 2017.

1. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

Having a second laptop is not a similar solution, it's a whole extra step. Why on earth would you need a second laptop anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gontie.

Gontie. NI Product Owner

Even, switching on the production laptop screen from traktor to browser, i don't feel either comfortable, the only good solution is having that natively included.

3. [chris b]

4. sangdogg

sangdogg NI Product Owner

Yeah, I actually used it and it didn't download and then load quick, it loads and then wave forms expands slowly to the end during that time I could not jump or mix-in without knowing the key you know its all start with melody not kicks.
    If songs load that fast as you said that would be so lossy in quality. Again the most important thing is it degrades the mixing quality, in the example you only have 1 phrase left and you load a song and you don't get waveform trans coded before the mix point or even cue points are not ready.
    I'm not talking about the prepared set.

Out of the topic but sadly Spotify will be out of business soon they have awesome system but its been even or negative profit and the artists are leaving cause of payment issues.
    Also they are lowering the bitrate these days they have already opted out excellent quality (there is a workaround but). People are leaving who care the lossless quality.

5. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

I’ve played a couple of sets with Spotify.
    The first sets with my iPad with pacemaker and my S8. Worked like a charm.
    Then I got me DJpro which supports also Spotify and a couple of other cool gadgets.
    Also worked greatly.

But to be serious, those sets where „not serious“ at all. Often the soundquality of the stream was not „quality“ at all.
    More like a proof of concept and having fun.

Now I’m back using my beloved S8, with the Tracks I already own.
    And to be honest, I am not a jukebox. As a DJ I have to be the decider what to play next and keep the customers happy.
    Guess what, my collection does supply this.

It would be great if Traktor could do this, but it is not mandatory since Traktor is imo a serious tool. Not a toy.

6. Raison

Raison New Member

My belief is that NI Product Owners don't look very innovative in this discussion.
    I won't say that if NI implements the Spotify connector than Serato will be dead (I am pretty sure Serato will follow and integrate Spotify as well).

Maybe you should think about it twice. An ATS (Apple-Traktor-Spotify) platform would be very valuable.
    This can also be a trigger for DJs to post remixed contents on Spotify. There is a huge market there and this can become one new standard for manies.
    I hear that NI Product Owners mention that the Spotify integration is today insufficient for quality DJ sets for the following reasons :
    - lack of extended remixes on Spotify
    - lack of sound quality
    - streaming issues can lead to "blanks", "gaps" and "cut-offs"
    - music preparation is very important, streaming does not allow that

Those are the specifications for a qualitative and appropriate integration from Spotify.
    Spotify can store files locally, NI can flag music files/midi/waves, DJs can post good extended remixes on the store.
    A good implementation would tackle all those points.

NI can refuse this implementation challenge.
    NI can implement it step by step (staring with a simple connector)
    but NI would be less credible if NI tells that there is no DJ need and no technical solution providing the expected quality.
    Pay-per-use and content-subscripton platforms are today reality.

Final point : if NI does not like Spotify / Spotify philosophy / Spotify contents or if Spotify blocks the implementation partnership, there may be many other possibilities (Beatport...)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  7. Pesict

Pesict NI Product Owner

Well, I don’t get it quite.
    Spotify does not want that their service is used by DJing application but in the same time allows Algoriddm and Pacemaker their service.
    Spotify is in my opinion not a “professional“ service (reduced audio quality due to bandwidth etc).
    Traktor is an application wich is used by professionals. Professionals purchase the best possible audio quality.
    I guess requesting a function only 3 of 100 users would use is not quite efficient.
    And than those three users bash on NI because the audio quality of reduced Spotify stream is an issue NI has to solve?

8. Kn4llFr0sch

Kn4llFr0sch NI Product Owner

It is a question of what you wanna offer your crowd.
    Lower crap quality files which will hurt ears???
    Higher quality files (wav, aiff) will result in more gigs. I do this for years now.

Buy your damn tracks. Support producers and artists. Tight is not always right.

9. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

This is the thing though...nobody who DJs professionally to an audience for money or a job uses Spotify.
    This is a feature that bedroom DJs, beginners and maybe some semi-pro DJs want who don't have or don't want to buy their music.

I wouldn't want NI to spend a single Euro developing a streaming feature if it was at the expense of future development of pro features.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh NI Product Owner

NI didnt realise everyone wanted to still use jogs and now look

Now they cannot see that syreaming will be defacto within the next few years

11. Karlos Santos

NI always knew people loved jog wheels - the success of the S4 and S2 made it pretty clear. There was a lot of demand for controllers with touch strips, it was all people banged on about for a while on this forum. They did it and now they are making controllers with jog wheels. It's not a binary choice but it is one that is restricted by product cycles. NI are never going to be like Pioneer and churn kit out, that's been more than evident for a long time.

How do you know they can't see the value in streaming? The key thing is that it is not viable at the moment. It's a minefield of legality and copyright. If it becomes de facto as you say it will be because the copyright laws that restrict it now will have changed and when it begins to change I'm sure NI like all the others will have a decision to make...maybe they have already made it, who knows.

I don't speak for NI but I highly doubt they will be injecting money into a feature so that bedroom DJs can play whatever they like which is where the demand is right now. Do you see a high demand for streaming with club DJs? I honestly don't but I'm not so connected to clubs these days. I remember some guys going on about KUVO which was gonna revolutionise things but 4 years after I don't see anything about it...but again, I don't go to the kind of clubs that a DJ would use such tech.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jimmyjamesh

Technically you are not legally allowed to dj in public with music from beatport or itunes I believe

If ni only aim at club djs and not bedroom djs then why release the s2, cant imagine sasha digweed or hot since 82 using that in a club

95% of pro djs rock up with a rekordbox prepared usb stick

I would say ni need to target bedroom djs and they aee losing to pioneer big time. Todays bedroom djs may be club djs later

Digitaldjtips have said pioneer are working on streaming

13. MichaelKMusic

MichaelKMusic NI Product Owner

U can if u pay a yearly licence here in Canada its https://cpdja.ca/consumer_section/licenses.php SOCAN

14. Karlos Santos

...and this highlights the inherent problem of attempting to navigate copyright law, it’s hugely different dependent on the region. It would tie NI up in legal wrangles forever.

DJs don’t live in a vacuum. A streaming application for DJs opens up the massive issue of copyrighted music being played in bars and stores which currently (in the UK) you need a licence for, be it played from the radio, Cd or Spotify and if it is from Spotify you need another separate licence on top of the PPL or PRS licence.

This is what I’ve been trying to get people to understand about this issue, it’s WAY bigger than a bunch of wannabe DJs asking for streaming within Traktor.

• Like Like x 2
  15. jimmyjamesh

today's wannabe djs? could you be anymore condescending !?!?!?!?

You ignored my other comments about pro djs on rekordbox as that is apparently your target audience

For the small % of pro djs using traktor - the irony is they probably dont even pay for it

16. Karlos Santos

Isn't that bedroom DJs are, wannabes? It's not condescending at all - not in the context I used it. They 'want_to_be' DJs.
    No professional DJ will use Spotify, it's a ridiculous proposition.

I don't understand your stance on this - I know that you buy music.

That figure is preposterous - and those that do won't use Spotify. No-one will use Spotify other than those trying to get a leg up to become a DJ. I don't know why this is seen as being negative towards beginners who by their very nature are usually bedroom DJs.

Well that's just silly and I've no idea what relevance it has?

I'd be surprised if they weren't working on it. A Spotify certified controller is exactly what I'd expect.

• Like Like x 1
  17. [chris b]

Pioneer's target market is exactly the same target market that Traktor's is. They sell cheap controllers, they sell very expensive controllers, and they sell a lot of options in between. It's absolute nonsense to suggest NI is more "pro" than Pioneer, when Pioneer's gear is in every single DJ booth in the world, and Rekordbox is an ecosystem that ties the very high end, to the basic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jimmyjamesh

19. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

I'm sure if streaming becomes the legal and dominant way of Djing then it won't be too hard to add for any software.

Maybe the copyright protection can be added to the gear and streaming is the only option at a high price. That would suck.

20. [chris b]

Rekordbox DJ is an extension of the version on the media players. That's the whole point of it.

The target market is the same, or at least it should be. Traktor tried and have failed to appeal to a niche market, with Stems, remix decks, step sequencers etc. Pioneer for a long time only appealed to the pro end of the market, and have clearly realised that if they lock in new DJs with budget controllers, they're the next generation likely to buy more expensive pro level gear.

The larger Pioneer units are not pointless. Again, an utterly stupid comment to make. They are designed to replicate the same club install setup you mention. Either for home use, or mobile DJ, or as a bar install, so that DJ's then just need to use USB, and not drag it along with them. That DJ's then try to fit it in a booth with an existing DJM/CDJ setup is their stupidity. The S8 is a pretty big unit as well, and users don't have the luxury of leaving it, and the laptop at home.

• Like Like x 1