1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Traktor + Spotify?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Brandon_U-ATX, Jul 19, 2017.

1. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

I like the idea, but would hate any major change in price and laws for streaming music.
    Too me it's the simple saying "Be careful what you wish for."

2. [chris b]

[chris b] NI Product Owner

The laws will be different, country to country, so I don't see the implementation changing it. Certainly not globally.

I expect there would be a DJ tier price plan. So you have to pay a premium for DJ use.

3. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Depending on price and how many tracks a person actually needs and the idea of somehow not streaming them but downloading them for reliable use without a connection.
    Hmmmm? No need to have it integrated, a person might as well buy the tracks instead.
    Streaming for me is $13usd a month, plus my DI FM streaming that is another fee about the same but yearly.
    So it would be cool to have access to those for free temporary use downloads, but neither will ever support that. Anymore fees added monthly, I might as well just add some tracks to my owned collection.
    This all sounds complicated?

4. [chris b]

It's not for me, but I can definitely see why it would appeal to some, and I think it would be pretty popular.

I'd rather buy a few good tracks each month, than have access to almost infinite mediocrity.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

It was Pulselocker but it dissapeared...
    https://serato.com/forum/discussion/1655164

6. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Yep the way I find my favorite tracks takes me a long time, but streaming is awesome for listening and with Google Play I have playlists by month then the best of those are added to my all time favorites playlist.
    Also I skip around with genres, rock, classical, punk, hardcore. It depends on mood. Luckily I have a regular job that I can listen and take moments to thumbs up or add to playlists.
    I can't imagine just mixing like that though, I'm not next level enough to pull that off.
    If I really like something for mix or sampling I buy it.

7. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh NI Product Owner

8. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

wonder if you will be able to stream the super lossless formats that tidal offer?

streaming will become a thing for sure, internet is only going to get faster and stronger from here, and its pretty good right now.

tidal is awesome if your into that new hip hop sound, bit slow for my dancefloors though.

9. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Nowhere in these discussions has anyone mentioned Tidal, or Soundcloud for that matter.
    The discussion has been about Spotify integration which has failed with Pioneer, Serato, VDJ and Rekordbox.
    It's still a breach of the EULA to use Spotify commercially in the UK so my points still stand.

I don't know much (anything) about Tidal, do they allow streaming for commercial use, I'm happy to learn if you know? If so, that's a whole new discussion but I'll certainly look into Tidal and keep an eye on this topic. Maybe, finally someone might make a go of it because, as I mentioned above, all 4 of the big companies have failed up to the present.

10. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh NI Product Owner

My argument was also about streaming being tje future of music, which you strongly put me down on

You should be moderating not forcing your always right opinion on things

Ps I am very opionated too, just not paid for it

11. Karlos Santos

Because as of now, it has proved itself to be too difficult to implement and the copyright issues have been too complicated. In all the threads on streaming I have never once said that it wasn't going to happen - it's just that people choose to ignore the all the legal ramifications and they assume it's just a matter of NI and Spotify shaking hands. I'd love someone from Spotify or any other company to inform me/us about the real issues behind it all.

You are completely mistaken. First and foremost, I'm a member of this forum. I'm expected to have opinions and join in - I'm not enforcing any opinion, I'm expressing them.

I don't get paid to do this. I volunteer. I'm just a member with some admin rights.

12. Karlos Santos

...and, as I understand NI and Soundcloud are teaming up so it seems that the direction of travel is towards streaming which comes as no surprise. However, this is still a long way from 10's of 1000's of DJ paying to stream the whole Top40 in bars and clubs which is generally what people have been clambering for.

• Like Like x 1
  13. symonty

symonty New Member

I gave up on Traktor , my DJ work is almost exclusively covered by music I can get on Spotify and the ability to get that cheesy track a patron asks for is unbeatable.

I now use DJ Pro 2 on both iPad and laptop and some basic controller I am no Carl Cox so spending $1000s on controller and software and still having to buy all the music demanded of me is not fun.

Streaming is the killer app and NI lost me, no Traktor 3 update, spent the money on djay and sold my S4.

BTW: Everytime I play a track musicians get paid, I am sure that loads of DJs just grab tracks for free and somehow think that is better?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  14. [chris b]

Spending money on music isn't exclusive to superstar DJs, and isn't beyond the budget of a working DJ. Music has never been cheaper.

Unrealistic is a ridiculous thing to say.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sangdogg

sangdogg NI Product Owner

How about NI invent a Jukebox with multiple currency support? that loads decks and play the button for a human? As I experience the transitions are terribly all filtered from loading random original tracks, so Jukebox processor sure can match and copy style? While I drink at the bar and I obtain income from the NI Jukebox.

On that point is a Beatport integration that most people don't realize that even exist. why wouldn't Spotify be the same? Especially even worse quality limit?

Can 96kbps Spotify on djay pro, even be close to 2165kbps?
    search these three examples in djay pro, and compare, http://45.63.60.129/sample/
    That's your serious problem if you still can't detect it and repeating since many years its all same.

i would never ever prepare 480p videos for the presentation as a school project.
    playing 480p video for the family for fun that sure works in anyways. however,
    Playing 4k video in public for the crowd isn't the same berth.

I don't know, too much competition like in the city where I am, searching and downloading is not going to take place. it's not It's like be ready or get lazy and lose gigs.

I have done it a couple of times, in the situation, I don't hold a laptop, especially lossless decoding, it requires 5g lte. As even 5g wifi can't handle it.

anyways. If you don't bother clicking YouTube quality setting and you are that person, proceed ahead,

16. symonty

symonty New Member

Your right unrealistic is harsh, I also meant to say buying the cheesy tracks people want to hear, as apposed to what I really like.

17. gillster11

gillster11 NI Product Owner

Beatport new streaming service is coming to Traktor Pro 3 and I'm sure apple and Spotify will expand there streaming services out to major DJ software weither we like it or not it's coming and is gonna take off big time

• Like Like x 1
  18. symonty

symonty New Member

I certainly did not buy DJAY because it is cheap, money is not an issue, it is ease of access to music.
    I understand that is may have latency issues, but even the fact we are comparing the feature sets of a $200 app with controller to a $2000 ap with controller shows that NI has missed a strong market.

Adding a non-pro feature like integration to spotify opens huge market growth, for the bedroom DJ that moves on.

19. symonty

symonty New Member

Beatport integration would be amazing , i would not really care beatport or spotify it is about access and ease.

20. DerTolleDeeJott

DerTolleDeeJott New Member

Why do you think this is a Non-Pro Feature? If it is a Tool and someone can or want to use it - what´s wrong with it? I Remember all the discussions from the 80´s, when some DJs came up with ready-made parts of their set on Tape, later there was a hype and condemn of using CDs and CDj´s, in the 90´s some people tried to get their Tracks played by winamp and so on. Traktor or Serato and Rekordbox (...) are also condemned by many.

Is it still "Pro" to "work" with a laptop? Is it really the Track what we are listening to or is it a remix-in-time? Let´s stress the word or the appendix "Pro" a bit. What does it mean? Originally pro means that a "professional" may use this tool. What is a professional? Someone who makes a living with his work and his tools. What does the professional expect from the tool? Stability. Durability. when it come to software - also expanding new features. Streaming is not "new".

Streaming is already the "tool" that many people get their party started with. They just hook up their mobile to a BT-Speaker or even a PA. Advanced users are fiddling around with DJpro and their Spotify-Account. They play their favourites from !!! to ZZ-Top. And... have fun.

And that´s what it´s all about. Have fun. Use the tools. Create new tools. Integrate Tools in the toolbox. Traktor is one of the toolboxes to play tracks and sort of remix them. one like it - the other don´t. It does not matter.

a little OT: What do we all think are Non-Pro Features in TRAKTOR? to me it is for example
    - SYNC-Button (learning Beatmatching is not a crime)
    - Quantize and Snap (Hey... push the "play"-Button at the right time ;-))
    - Key-Detection (open your Ears...)

Don´t take this toooooooo honest ;-)

regards,

tom

• Like Like x 1