1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Traktor + Spotify?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Brandon_U-ATX, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

How can a DJ rely on a library/collection that is not his own?

If you only want the same tracks as every other DJ Tom, DJ Dick and DJ Harry, then great, streaming is for you.

I could never, ever, not own my own music...

2. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Great idea, I support this, I also suggested some streaming function in my post
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...e-library-mix-planning-cues-streaming.376893/

3. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

TIDAL provides the master copy option if you want the best possible sound quality.

4. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

and no one is asking you to give up your collection.

5. sangdogg

sangdogg NI Product Owner

Try to load raw quality, that is roughly 80MB a song average, to download 80Megabytes instantly, it requires 800Mbps speed, no one has it. it requires 8 seconds with 100Mbps but no one has that LTE speed nowadays, 50Mbps at maximum then about 15 seconds to download and requires more seconds to transcode to Traktor and gotta do cue points setup while spinning, i got no time for that, it will ruin my focus and ruin the vibe. that's like the DJ without the set preparation which high chances degrade the quality of the night. also damages the venue.
    even playing random by reading the crowds it requires the songs with cue points ready, to plan the next mix on the fly. when every second is important, even 10 seconds is enough to mess all things up i have been built up for the night.
    Not sure the song would even be in the playlist if planned it at home and I saw it very not responsive on beat jumps so I guess it doesn't even let it saved temporarily into laptop HDD.
    Regardless of all, this is something impossible in the situation when I mix short cue tracks randomly like switch songs quickly every minute.
    it will miss the right cue before the online track is ready.
    btw Spotify would provide 96k to 128kbps quality not sure but it was low quality. and i don't think tidal would provide the raw quality that's near 3000kbps for DJ apps. like my 24bit 48khz libraries are minimum 2000-3000kbps. it's pretty impossible to load on time with oversold LTE these days.

6. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

you better go and try streaming first, you've made up alot of senarios in your post that simply arnt true.

did you ever think about using streaming along side of your owned collection?

or for example how djay pro can stream spotify but suggest a track to mix into spotify from your owned collection that maybe you had never thought of?

spotify provides 320 mp3, come back when youve actually tryed it sangdogg

7. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

I imagine, that for DHH Ju‘s that take requests, streaming is gonna bring real value, actually.

One more string to the bow, I suppose.

Might get a bit dodgy if you ONLY DJ with tunes that you can stream.

Also - I’ve toyed with the idea of setting up NAS storage, or cloud storage, so that ALL of my music is always available to me.

If I were to do that, then, streaming wouldn’t be so far removed from how I’d be accessing my music.

It’s all just a little too far removed from having all my music held locally, on my DJ’ing machine.

8. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kn4llFr0sch

Kn4llFr0sch NI Product Owner

Hallelujah. Thank god

11. gillster11

gillster11 NI Product Owner

Maybe they have signed a deal with another DJ software ? Hint Hint

• Like Like x 1
  12. sangdogg

bruh, I have done that already
    it was impossible to mix on the fly even in a bar gig. there is no time for mixing it. idk how you mix, I never play a full song.
    think about it. you searched a song that you never had in your collection, wait, do you even set cue points? how are you going to beat jump? are you going to click on the wave? well that works but not all the time, you might have to do another click on the right spot. and how are you going to monitor that quickly? it's probably hard for you to make sense, for me, i must follow the fundamental of the music theory like i wouldn't play the intro suddenly over the verse,
    there is no way Spotify would offer the 320kbps full bitrate to djay pro. I'm sure it is a quality of 96 or 128 at maximum i read that somewhere before.

There is only one acceptable reason, a song request from a bar gig then I would use it, otherwise, I don't think it is necessary to have and the license won't be cheap to implement Spotify in Hi-Fi quality as NI definitely would not be interested in 128kbps. it is a huge Traktor development budget for NI. And I know no one will take responsibility for it. Like they don't buy **** after a complaint has fulfilled and released for them, which pro DJs didn't even need or ask.

13. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

spotify was 320 with djpro, as for your other points i CBA. Dont use it if you dont want it, i do.

14. sangdogg

here are some discussions from Reddit.

-----------------------------------------------------
    hencewhy

7 points·1 year ago

I've played with it once and seen my friends play more. Seems to do an ok job at analysing songs but isn't the fastest. Also requires a good internet connection to be able to play at all.

Wouldn't count on spotify on whole library since it can go down anytime. (Not spotify but the integration, see case pulselocker).
    ------------------------------------------------------
    DJGlennW

7 points·1 year ago

At the risk of pissing y'all off, let me point out, again, that Spotify is for non-commercial use only, as is Djay Pro.

As professionals (and believe me, I hate the RIAA at least as much as you), we need to purchase and use legal versions of music.

Musicians, producers, etc. deserve to be compensated for their work. Buying music is how that happens.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Rakaniam

2 points·1 year ago

All the time. I use the Reloop Mixon4 and iPad Pro 12.9”. It’s been my setup for the past 2 years and haven’t regretted it. The integration between the software and controller is amazing.

But as others have pointed out you need good internet connection especially if you set Spotify streaming quality to extreme. If things go tits up I switch to local music in my iTunes library or songs I’ve uploaded to iCloud, which are usually stuff I’ve purchased off Beatport or the like, and want to keep them in their current lossless format.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

level 1
    zacshipley

2 points·1 year ago

I used DJay Pro, got it primarily for the spotify integration.

I use it at home, enjoy having access to a billion songs with very little load time. I set up play lists to try stuff out.

But when it came to a gig, I didn't want to rely on wifi or mobile internet. I made sure I had a hard copy of every tune I wanted to play.

Nothing wrong with using Spotify to discover and practice with, but it makes more sense to own the file or rip from the CD anything you plan on playing.

The one time I had a gig where I planned on having access to internet was a wedding. I was out in the sticks with no cell phone service and the crowd was ready for some country. I should have prepared more, but I thought "oh its ok, I'll just download what I need as it comes up" and that just wasn't acceptable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember now, it might be 320kbps but I could not set it because of lags, like jump buttons delayed, loading delayed, even play button delayed not sure all buttons were delayed.
    anyways, Spotify is not for Traktor. if anything degrades the quality of djing that should not be in the legendary Traktor. Why did we choose Traktor? what did we watch on youtube and then decided Traktor over Serato? Follow what they made professionally, and learn everything. Traktor means to be hard to learn! if people keep asking accessories features like kids NI loses their mind and releases some stupid degrade, don't confuse them,
    if Spotify works well on djay pro at the gigs then I don't see any special reason to use Traktor, so whoever wants Spotify just carries 2 DJ software someday use djay pro, someday use Traktor. djay pro is also good enough right? you know?, no reason to make another djay pro platform on Traktor.
    Question back to you guys, why not carrying 2 dj Softwares? I have Traktor and Serato, I use Serato only if I have no choices available, I don't ask Serato compatibility update.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

It's perfectly usable on iPad and dedicated controller (done many gigs with the infamous Philips M1X so stop saying no sense, thanks). You can mix on the fly and even without knowing the song (aka music request 99% of the time in shitty bars) and even harmonic mixing way before Traktor and more easy. Also video at the same time if you have a iPad pro (usb-c model and due to how apple manages video output and so, not Djay Pro app itself related)

For the "carry 2 softwares"... well I used it until I decided to stop doing that shitty bars and now I'm again on traktor just for the remix decks but being Traktor 3 a dead end I can see why "actual djs" want streaming for working. Because it works (left aside the legal part which is related to each country and music is the most corromped business from administration side and in my country even it was/is a canon about "piracy" on each memory drive you purchase so it's payed more than twice...)

As I was saying I come back for the "producer" side but we know that "the future of sound" was a fail so I'm a rara avis probably and I'm testing it on wintablet i5 recently I get as bargain (because if not I will never expend the money on these to make less than cheap iPad just for remix decks with turntable control... the only one killer feature for me)

So I ditched the other but I see traktor more as scratchable live looper than a mix app for my future...

16. andyfoz

andyfoz NI Product Owner

I dont want to be disrespectfull so ill just end our conversation with, i own djay pro and it does put out high quality stream music.
    i use spotify for music discovery and to keep me updated with mind numbing chart music automatically. the playlists i make would be awesome if they showed up in traktor.

i want this because finding music on spotify, then going to a music store to buy it, then putting that song into the traktor libray manually is a real ball ake. it just seems so out dated to me and a piss poor work flow.

stay off redit man im giving first hand real advice on the situation, Enjoy tidal in your serato wont you............

• Like Like x 1
  17. sangdogg

1. video proof, or you never mixed on the fly.
    2. spending $0 on native-instrument, I don't think your opinion so helpful.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

I left djay and spotify after WORKING EACH WEEKEND boy...
    You just need to see how easy is Djay Pro, no need for video. Just try it by yourself.
    On the fly since I must mix request of trap music I never heard before... you only need to use cue to find the sweet spot and that's it. Extra point if these are suitable for harmonic mixing which in Djay Pro again is straightforward. Even you can loop a part and mix them etc... anyone with some skill (not too much) can see what I'm talking so keep the joke about video proof (loooool I'm rofl)
    Are you 15 yo? xD

About the second point I express my POV. I have a legal license from F1 and TDJ2 is free so no need to "expend a buck". If you don't need DVS it's even more suitable than the old for touchscreens (tested on iPad, mac mini and Fujitsu win10 tablet recently).
    As a remix tool I will give it a try (thanks to the new wintablet) but it gets a bit hot for my taste and obviously I will not go back and mix **** for others (or do videoproof loooool hahahaha) even with a 1K on the table. Your opinion value is less than zero, anybody trying these could figure it by themselves so instead of asking about proof... What about talking about what you proved by yourself instead figuring it out? I know I know... is easier to talk BS on forums and ask others for videoproofsssss hahahahahahahahahahahaha

GTFO kid! loooooooool