1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Trigger Patterns In Ideas View With External Midi.

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by D-One, May 20, 2017.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Here goes nothing.

It would be nice to be able to trigger/select patterns in the Ideas View with external MIDI controllers other then Jam.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  3. t2k

t2k NI Product Owner

4. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...interesting thought, but I'm curious, how this could be achieved. We have 128 midi notes and or 128 program change message for each of the 16 midi channels per midi port (I guess, most people use only one or two). What would be the best way to distribute and how would that behave in conjunction to the scene and lock state triggers? Any ideas for a working scenario?

5. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

The idea that has always been bandied around is that it could be enabled per Group, allowing MIDI channel, port, message type (notes/PC), and an optional range of messages.

So, for example, I might only ever use up to 32 Patterns in Groups A-D, so they can share notes on one MIDI channel/port, using the range appropriately (the software should help make this kind of range split easy too e.g., informing when a range overlaps).

Or, I might only ever use 8 Groups, but use them for a range of tracks, so they can have up to 128 Patterns each, then I'd just use one MIDI channel/port per Group.

• Like Like x 1
  6. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...Ok - defining ranges, that makes sense, thanks. And it's certainly useful for a live scenario and the standalone version, if one needs that level of independence/off-set/polyrhythmic capabilities etc. Seeing how much Maschine might be borrowing from the Live paradigm, I guess, it might be a no-brainer that this will come at some point, though I'm not sure, if it might be in the top 10 of the to-do list. For working within a DAW, I work quite often with sections (instruments, not arrangement :D :p) and I distribute them between several instances of the Maschine plug-in, so I'm not sure, if I've ever ran into the problems, that were described in the links you've posted.

7. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Fair enough. There are so many different workflows to be had with all this software and gear though, it only makes sense to me for developers to make their offerings as flexible as possible.

Personally, I also want this feature for the purpose of using Patterns as "presets" essentially i.e., program in automation, modulation, actual preset changes, MIDI output, whatever, into a Pattern and then be able to trigger it via external MIDI (much like how clips can be used for not-only-musical-content purposes in Live).

8. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I think the above suggestion of implementation could work though and work without being too complicated and without introducing anything too different to the way Maschine already works.

9. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

Yes! This is a great suggestion, and would open floodgates of current Ableton users to the joy and religious ecstasy of using Maschine...

10. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...I would like that, too, for saving all sorts of things. For that, I guess, the well-known concept of a "clip" isn't that far away. It could probably serve for all kinds of things. I'd like something along these lines very much, e.g. for building a midi library, unless Maschine's database might have the ability to manage midi files some day.

11. einfach Felix

einfach Felix NI Product Owner

this is one of the top features that I want - I guess this would really make it possible to effectively integrate jam into a 3rd party DAW workflow.

12. Tom Burnell

Tom Burnell NI Product Owner

I think solving this would be a potentially much better direction that solving Song mode and arrangement issues, at least in the short to near term. As I say in https://www.native-instruments.com/...s-when-using-as-a-plugin.324595/#post-1615465, if NI try to make Maschine a DAW, they will always be playing catchup. If they focus on great DAW integration, they have change of making a fantastic plugin. At the moment, for a lot of people it's not meeting either need well. It shouldn't even be that hard to do this and would alleviate a lot of woes.