1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Trouble adding custom slider with Creator Tools

Discussion in 'Scripting Workshop' started by Mike Heimburger, Dec 16, 2021.

  1. Mike Heimburger

    Mike Heimburger New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Hi there! I've just started making samples in Kontakt and I'm trying out the Creator Tools app to make a gui. I'm trying to add a slider with a custom graphic. I made the graphic in JKnobMan and exported the png. I made the text file with the parameters for the graphic and gave it the same filename with a txt extension. There is a blank line at the end of the text file. I placed both the png and txt files in the Resources/pictures folder for the instrument I'm working with. When I enter the filename for the graphic in the image parameter of the slider and save it in Creator Tools it appears in Kontakt but shows the full png instead of just the first slide of the animation.

    I've googled, and checked in this forum, and looked at a few blogs and videos, but the only answer I've seen just says to make sure the text file is there and it has the right stuff in it. I've copied it straight out of a walkthrough and it looks right to me:

    Has Alpha Channel: yes
    Number of Animations: 60
    Horizontal Animation: no
    Vertical Resizable: no
    Horizontal Resizable: no
    Fixed Bottom: 0
    Fixed Left: 0
    Fixed Right: 0

    The number of animations is correct for what I exported. Could there be some formatting problem with the text file that isn't visible when you view the file? Is there a preferred text editor on a Mac for creating this text file that I should use? Or are there any steps I could have missed in Creator Tools?
     

    Attached Files:

  2. EvilDragon

    EvilDragon Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    19,938
    Can you upload the slider PNG too?
     
  3. Mike Heimburger

    Mike Heimburger New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Here it is.
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Mike Heimburger

    Mike Heimburger New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Today I tried creating a knob in the web version of KnobMan instead of the java version on my mac. Also tried switching to a different text editor to create the txt file. Neither of these seemed to help. Then I tried downloading a knob that someone else made from the knob gallery on www.g200kg.com and creating a text file that matches it. Same problem, just displays the entire png in Kontakt rather than the first animation frame.

    I'm on an M1 Mac Mini. Is there any chance there's a an incompatibility there that is causing this problem? Or could I be missing a setting in Creator Tools that I need?
     
  5. Mike Heimburger

    Mike Heimburger New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Just tried doing it the old fashioned way in the script editor and surprisingly got the same results. That means it's probably not any issue with Creator Tools. Could still be a problem with the way I'm creating the graphic, or the way I'm creating the text file. Or I have a glitch happening with my Kontakt. Still not sure.
     

    Attached Files:

  6. corbo-billy

    corbo-billy NI Product Owner

    Messages:
    652
    Your pictures file work fine at home but I don't use Creator Tools _
     
  7. Mike Heimburger

    Mike Heimburger New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Interesting. If it's not the image that's the problem, and it's not creator tools since I get the same results adding it in the script editor, then it seems like it must be Kontakt itself. Are there any known issues with custom knob graphics on M1 Macs?
     
  8. medusa

    medusa NI Product Owner

    Messages:
    239
    I'm guessing it's an issue with your text file. I'm attaching my text file for the graphic, which works fine here.
     

    Attached Files:

  9. Mike Heimburger

    Mike Heimburger New Member

    Messages:
    8
    Yes, it did turn out to be a text file issue. I tried out the Pianobook Template from the pianobook website and found that I could get my graphics to work using the text file from that template. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is. Might be a difference in encoding by the text editors I've tried using. If I determine the answer I'll post it here but that's what I'm thinking. Thanks for the help everyone!
     
  10. RolyB

    RolyB New Member

    Messages:
    1
    Heya

    had this same issue and it was fixed quickly and easily by removing the file extension in the image string in Creator Tools.
    So rather than inputting “your_slider.png” I found that inputting “your_slider” did the trick.
    Unsure if that’s a bug or what bug hope it helps!