[TUTORIAL] Up- and Downgrading with TRAKTORs Side-by-Side Install

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by DJ Freshfluke, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

hi y'all,

since the question arose a few times during the last months, i decided to make a tutorial to which i will link whenever the question "how do i rollback to a previous version" comes up again.

if you're lazy, you gotta be smart! ha! :D

>> DOWNLOAD THE PDF HERE <<

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nick Shepherd

Nick Shepherd New Member

great guide - thanks for the effort Freshfluke !

3. focus18

focus18 New Member

Thank you, very helpful

4. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

Just checked this out. Really helpful info here and i would say a must read even if your not doing a upgrade or downgrade.

Great Job putting this together fluke!

5. DJ Freshfluke

thx mate!

what was intended as small piece of help kinda got out of hand... ^^

however, it's been downloaded over 1,000 times now and i'm really happy that my effort actually helps the users out there! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

excellent stuff!

just one minor point: the default user folder on Win 7 is C:\Users\(user-name). e.g., the default location of "my" music folder is C:\Users\malzfreund\Music.

note that it differs in two respects from what you have in the (awesome) guide. first, user folders go on the C:\ drive in the default config. second, there's this (user-name) part which you left out in the guide.

7. RyanL

RyanL Forum Member

Is this still avail? Does it really apply to Mac users? Last time I upgraded from 2.1.3 to 2.5 it installed a whole new version and lucky for me, since 2.5 caused me a bunch of issues, I reverted to simply using the 2.1.3 icon which was still existent and deleted the 2.5 one. That simple...

8. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

2.5 ? try 2.5.1 or better yet try 2.6.

9. RyanL

RyanL Forum Member

Ok so I downloaded and installed version 2.6. Like last time, when I start it up for the first time, it asks me if I want to take information from a previous install and I say yes (thinking I want it to take the data from my 2.0.3 setup. That's not the case though, it opens up and right away starts analysing all the files again? There's also a different (old version of my playlists from when I did the install of 2.5 maybe?). When I did the install of 2.5, I didn't like the issues with it and scrapped it and stuck with 2.0.3.

How do I copy the settings from my previous functional version of 2.0.3 to the new version installed 2.6?

Help?

10. LarsStudio

LarsStudio NI Product Owner

Stop linking to mediafire, please.

Place full of junk these days

11. DJ Freshfluke

thx mate.

will check that and change (whenever i update the tutorial... but i guess for now we got to live with that for a while ^^)

12. DJ Freshfluke

yes and yes.

what do you think happened then... the old shortcut opened the old version - as expected (and explained in the tutorial).
    but deleting the new shortcut didnt delete the new version from your computer.

13. DJ Freshfluke

just copy the whole 2.0.3 root folder into the 2.6 root folder.

14. DJ Freshfluke

the link goes directly to the document.
    there's not even an ad that has to be clicked away or anything else annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sparky sanchez

sparky sanchez Forum Member

Just installed 2.6 and still have an older version(it works and gives no trouble so why change?) and now have 2 root folders as suggested. Reading the pdf I see "Don’t edit your tracks in the younger version. Edits are not downwards compatible!" but changing some things in playlist seems to not reflect between versions even if I go younger/older or older/younger. Bpm locks are reflected after consistency check but that's not surprising as that data's written to the track file itself right? Everything seems great now, what issue might I see if I edit newer not older versions?

Thanks for your efforts!

16. DJ Freshfluke

if you edit a playlist, it gets saved in the collection file (all traktor playlists are part of the collection file) of the older version. it stays in the older version, but...

you can easily copy that collection file of the older version to the newer traktor folder and all changes are there, but you might run into trouble if you try that vice versa... ;)

17. sparky sanchez

Thanks DJF, I'll run through a few tests to get my head round that!

18. iamthat

iamthat Forum Member

upgrading issues

Thanks for the manual. I was installing 2.6 and it wiped my collections out. 2.6 opens with no playlists and 2.1 now opens to with playlists x'ed out in red.....

So now I have gone into the backup collection file for 2.1 and copied it into the 2.1 collection folder which is documents/nativeinstruments/traktor2.1.1/collection.nml I have also moved the corrupt collection.nml out of that folder.

Now Traktor 2.1.1 says it is loading collection. It seems to be doing so for over 4 hours already!

How do I show 2.6 this older collection file with my playlists and settings.

Thanks

19. sparky sanchez

Been doing some tests w/ 2.1.1, 2.1.2 and 2.6.:

Making changes to playlists ie adding a track doesn't appear to be reflected in a higher or lower version ie change in one version and others aren't changed.

Making changes to tracks themselves ie cues, markers is reflected across versions ie change in one version and the changes show in all

Sound right?

20. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Yep.