1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial video: Controlling Ableton Live with Maschine

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Thomas @ NI, Mar 3, 2009.

1. ricanstruction71

ricanstruction71 NI Product Owner

Any Ableton Live Maschine fix yet?

I've searched on many pages of forums as Maschine as a controller for Ableton Live 8.2.5 for my Mac OSX SL is suffering many problems users already noted (i.e. pads not blinking to reflect clips playing, controller stops working after 20 minutes or so to control Ableton). Is it a problem with the MIDI driver (I can't see how that might be considering it still controls everything else in MIDI and Maschine mode) or the provided Maschine controller script users have to install in the Ableton contents package?
    NI when will this get a proper fix? It'd be cool to control Ableton as users were able to in the past before these bugs showed up....I guess for now I just have to use Ableton Remote MIDI assignments until further notice.

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

i had quite a long session the other day using the template, i did not have any problems about it stopping working.

my Pads also blinked to reflect the beat playing.

have you downloaded the latest Driver?

sowari

3. sowari

look in the Service Centre.

sowari

4. ricanstruction71

@sowari - Yes I did. Version 2.4.21 (which I believe is the latest and was installed with the 1.7 update) Still gives me the same problems.

5. sowari

what about the Controller Editor Application, which version do you have of that?

qhwn you say it stops working, can you describe the scenario when this happens?

sowari

6. ricanstruction71

Sowari,
    To answer, I have the latest Controller Editor software too. Before, the pad blinking indicators showing which Live clips were actively playing would stop playing after a few minutes and then all buttons and pads would stop responding to make Ableton Live control changes.
    What I did was downloaded the Maschine MIDI driver again and reinstalled it today. I tested it out again and so far it hasn't acted up on me like before and runs for longer sessions without any bugs yet. There was one Live project however where the same issues (pads not blinking to indicate playing clips) occurred but I have a feeling this may be because it is a very old Live project done on Live 7 that I never saved as a Live 8 file.
    I'll post back again if any further issues occur but I think reinstalling the driver may have done the trick. ;)

7. sowari

yes, please post if you have more issues.

there was a time when the lights were not working - i am talking about using the Maschine Controller with other non Maschine Software - but resent version give users the options of changing how Pads and buttons light up on the Assign Page. an example, if the Group buttons do not change the shade of blue when you are navigating to different clips, you can change this on the Assign Page. you should see options for how the Leds behave. do you see what i mean?

sowari

8. ricanstruction71

OK sowari,
    The problem came up again this morning on a new Ableton project....everything was working fine but as soon as I went to the Ableton browser to search and preview audio clips to listen to before dragging, the Maschine controller would not make Ableton respond to any button,pad, or play transport movements. I exited out the project and unhooked the USB cable for the Maschine and hooked it back again. Started Ableton again and everything worked as it should again....seems like it works better to plan every clip, scene, and project layout in Ableton before using the Maschine controller to handle Ableton.
    Oh and as far as the Maschine Control Editor suggestion you've made, thanks....I wanted to change the blue Group LED button response when I navigate through Ableton's clips and scenes and that helped me get a better visual knowing they were working. ;)

9. sowari

thanks for the scenario, i will try that.

can you give me more details about your system. it seems you are using a Mac but more details about it and what OS you are using would help. also are you running Ableton at 64 or 32 bit? and are you using a Soundcard, if so which one?

oh yes, where were the audio clips that you were previewing, on your Mac or on an external hard drive?

sowari

10. ricanstruction71

Mac Pro 2010 (Quad Core and 64bit compatible) running Snow Leopard (in this situation I've tested both 32 and 64 bit with the same circumstances of success or failure noted before), 8GB RAM, 4 SATA Hard Drives installed inside (haven't gotten to the point of needing my 2 external Firewire dual Hard drives but I'm sure I will soon LOL), Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 Audio Interface. I run Ableton on my Mac booted in either 32 or 64 bit mode...I like other Ableton users still await for Ableton to release a new version as a 64 bit application. As for the clips I was previewing, they were running from one of the four internal SATA hard drives running inside my Mac Pro but not the primary drive that Snow Leopard runs from. Hope that info was useful.

ricanstruction71

11. sowari

thanks

sowari

12. elcommandante

elcommandante Forum Member

I can also confirm a bug in controlling live via the template.:(
    I just changed my OS to Win 7 64bit, before that I was using Win XP 32 bit
    and everything worked like it should. On Win 7 I installed the latest Version of
    Maschine, the latest driver for the controller and the controller Editor.
    But as described earlier the pads do not blink anymore to indicate the clips playing
    in live 8 they are just highligted though I could trigger some of the clips occasionally.
    After quitting live the controller somehow freezes the clip matrix (pads still highlighted) and remembers it even after switching to other templates.
    I went back to the old controller-driver 2.015.7, to see if it makes a difference and yes, the template seems to work (only tested it for a few minutes), but the controller still "freezes" after quitting live, as I just described.
    I really hope NI adresses this issue, because it was 1 of the reasons I bought Maschine (to have only the controller and a small Midi-keyboard as Midi-devices for my mobile-setup).

13. ricanstruction71

Yeah,
    After all I reported here on my Mac Pro computer even after re installing the latest driver, I still get the occasional freeze ups or lack of pad light indicators for my Ableton clips...for someone even on a Windows OS having the same problems makes me feel this is a bug. I just use Ableton's Remote feature and make my own assignments as my temporary workaround for now....hopefully NI can look into this and fix it. I'd like to have similar features controlling Live 8 like Akai APC and Novation Launchpad users do using Maschine.
    Other than that I'm fine with Maschine.

14. Henrymaschine

Henrymaschine New Member

yeah, I got fed up trying to figure it out so I just started to remap my maschine. its pritty strate forward. just go into the controller editor and make a new template, then open ableton and in the top right hand corner there is a little midi button, when you press it, most of the ableton controls on the screen should go blue, you then click on a control, and press a pad or tweek a not. that nob or pad will then be asigned to the controll you clicked

15. ricanstruction71

Ok I just noticed that NI has updated the Controller Editor fixing a few bugs (of which I'm not sure what they are) but after updating, so far I tried testing again the Ableton template for my Live 8 on my Mac Pro for a good hour and I haven't experienced the problems anymore as I and other posters have mentioned....lights still blinking....no issues so far...can anyone from NI confirm what those bugs were?

16. hyena666

hyena666 NI Product Owner

more than half an hour with no problems here too! thanks NI!
    ---
    mmmmm spoke too soon, as soon as i moved to safari to write this, then went back to ableton , controller stopped working. just as before.
    unplugged,replugged, worked for 2 minutes then lost connection again. arffff this is so annoying...

17. elcommandante

elcommandante Forum Member

^ this sounds like another problem I had, because of having the controller on a powered usb-hub (belkin) after unplugging the power-suply of the hub it worked.
    My guess was that the controller got small stress peaks from the external power
    supply after a few minutes and thereby stopped working. Strange thing is, that only the Midi-controller functionality stopped working, controlling the Maschine-VST via the hardware was still possible without any problems...
    But as described earlier, now it doesn´t work at all with latest drivers on Win7 :angry:

18. ricanstruction71

Hyena666,
    Are you running Maschine on Mac Snow Leopard or Lion? I'll try testing it out again later today (I'm still on Snow Leopard 10.6.8) to see if the problem comes back (maybe go to Safari like you did to see if the problem repeats itself). If so, then back to Remote mapping again. It would be nice if NI listed what bugs were addressed with the latest Controller Editor.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  19. hyena666

hyena666 NI Product Owner

hello Rican, i'm on 10.6.8 snow leopard as well.
    what i noticed is that if i disable all other control surfaces (akai mpk25 and livecontrol) the problem seems to occurr rarely or not at all.
    obviously after restarting from previous sessions....
    too much fuss, i'll wait till the thing is stable before ever try to do an ableton\maschine liveset on stage....stick with maschine standalone for now.

20. ricanstruction71

Hyena,
    Yeah I had mine running an hour and like you I was about to post and the issues came up again. LOL! Yeah I'll stick with Remote mapping until NI fixes it.