Filed Unable to Analyze New Stems Files

Discussion in 'Archive' started by DJEndo, Jun 18, 2019.

1. DJEndo

DJEndo NI Product Owner

Hey All,

I'm having an issue where I can't play any newly created stems files in TRAKTOR. Basically any new stems that I want to play that I made with the Stems Creator Tool, I'm unable to Analyze. I'm able to analyze old stems files for some reason, but not ones that I created.

I'm unable to share the file unfortunately since I don't have permission to share, but the reproduction steps are as follows:

Make a Stems File in the Stems Creator Tool
    Drag it into the Track Collection
    Right Click and Analyze the track. Nothing happens.

Here is the link to the issue: https://screencast.com/t/FmpSw0CAF

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. DJEndo

DJEndo NI Product Owner

Ok, so after digging through forums, I found the issue. Since the stems are not the same length (since the synths end sooner than the other tracks for example) they won't work in Traktor. Everything is time aligned, but when you bounce tracks from Logic, it goes to the end of the audio region. Producers will never know how to fix this. There is no warning or anything telling you WHY the stem can't be analyzed. Anyways, here is what I found on the forums from another user:

1. It´s a mac related problem.
    2. it looks like it has to do with stems of the same NI stem file having different lengths.
    e.g., when the synth stem is shorter because in the last bar there are no synths and the single stem is therefore not rendered with the same file length as the other stems of the pack.
    Note that it will still play perfectly well and in sync in the stem creator (and on windows traktor) as long as the start point is set correctly, which is well explained in tutorials and btw. More than obvious. But of course, nowhere is being told that if the file length is different, it will not playback on Mac with newer traktor versions than the first one that supported stems.
    3. the stem creator (which for no apparent reasons hasn´t been updated once after it was officially released in 2015)
    Still creates stems with different file lengths because they worked in the traktor version present at that time.
    4. NI knows about this (how could they not), and they don´t seem to care to fix it.
    5. the windows version of stem creator will produce horrible sounding stems due to low quality codec used within the windows version,
    so you have to create stems on a mac to get an NI stem file without strange artifacts but if the single stems of the pack have different length (see example above) they will only playback (or better: be able to be analyzed) on traktor on a windows machine.
    7. you have to dig deep into forums to find out about all this, it´s not mentioned anywhere on the NI website or the stem creator website.
    6. what does that tell us about the stem format (or it´s future) and its priority for NI?

Other threads about people complaining about the same thing:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...ro-not-letting-me-analyse-a-stem-file.335101/
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/help-with-analyzing-stems.271594/page-2

3. Sûlherokhh

Sûlherokhh NI Product Owner

Thanks for summing that up.

4. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh NI Product Owner

I reported this over 12 months ago, support have it on the back burner as concentrating on the free version just teleased, seems crazy priority to me

They seem to not care about this issue

5. DJEndo

DJEndo NI Product Owner

Yeah, for what it's worth I checked and two of the audio files got bounced at a different length. The stereo master and two of the stems were 8:44 and the other two stems were 8:34. That is what caused the problem. I would've never known this had I not dug through endless forums. If we can't fix it, I at least think we should put some kind of prompt in the Stems Creator Tool, because this will drive some people mad (which it has).

6. jimmyjamesh

Hopefully ni will listen to someone who is as famous as you are

7. jimmyjamesh

No response from NI!!!!!!!!!

8. Friedemann @ NI

Friedemann @ NI NI Team NI Team

We know the issue since a while but we have to deal with priorities.
    It's unpleasant, but there is a workaround (use stems of same size)
    We are aware, we do listen, but we can't always deliver like you would want or expect.
    Thanks for the reminder, this will help us to give this a higher priority.

9. jimmyjamesh

I reported the issue over 12 months ago!

Priority seemed to be given to the new software that is free of charge - I do not get it.