Unlimited oscillators and channels!

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Cloudmover, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudmover

Cloudmover NI Product Owner

Native Instrument team,

Currently in Absynth 4 there are 3 channels in the patch window. Why?

Why not four or five or ten? My suggestion for Absynth 5: allow the number of available oscillators and channels to be based on the power of the host computer. Let these channels have the ability to be user limited and defined to save memory and processor load.

Absynth is such an unlimited program that I think you should take the virtual modular aspect of it to it's natural limit.

If my computer can run eight oscillators and I want eight - so be it! Imagine the sounds...

2. blaugruen7

blaugruen7 NI Product Owner

absynth is not modular.

do i want reaktor?
    no.

3. Cloudmover

Agreed. Maybe Modular wasn't the correct description...

I just know that sometimes when creating an Absynth patch I'd like to have the ability to create a sound with more than three channels and oscillators. Todays computers are so powerful I don't see why this limitation couldn't be removed in future iterations of the program.

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

If you need more channels, what's wrong with using multiple instances?

ew

5. Cloudmover

Absolutely nothing. That's what I do now.

I usually double/tripple up sounds, use the audio inputs to feed the sound from one Absynth patch to another, etc. etc. As you can imagine, my DAW (Logic) stability begins to suffer after a certain point.

A simple "add channel" in the patch window would enable me to contain my experimentation in one savable Absynth patch. Ah well, I guess we'll see...

6. RandomLFO

RandomLFO NI Product Owner

Unlimited oscillators...

Here's a variation on that idea, Why not add the ability of ABSynth to crossfade between patches instead of the audio dropping out when a new patch is selected.

Peace, Marc

7. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

The problem with that idea is that you'd have to have a second invisible instance (with CPU to match) to do a smooth crossfade. A nice idea, but it could be expensive processor wise.

What I'd like to see along the lines being discussed here is being able to use a channel's output as the mod oscillator for FM in another channel, as well as being the modulator for frequency shifting and ring modulation...

ew

8. RandomLFO

RandomLFO NI Product Owner

The expensive processing would then be in the hands of the musician to use wisely. The patch crossfading (within one instance either VST or standalone) will make ABSynth more powerful, and much friendlier to use live.

Channel out for mod on the Frequency Shifter, RM, and FM will be extremely nice too! Especially since samples cannot be currently used as input to the FreqShifter, FM, or RM.

Peace, Marc

9. Cloudmover

I agree with all that has been said above.

I don't think that any these suggestions would be a hard hit on the processor. We can already run multiple instances of Absynth in our DAW of choice, so, it's just a matter of the tech geniuses at Native Instruments figuring out how to refine the synth engine so that these requests can be done in ONE patch.

RandomLFO - If we had more than three channels available in the Patch window you could crossfade between two separate three channel Absynth patches. THAT'S what I'm talking about. :)

10. Jose Maytin

Jose Maytin New Member

good idea, NI... more osc's and LFO's please !

although you technically get 6 oscillators to mess with the trend on the street seems to be towards multiple layers,

without naming names you usually see 4 or so discrete layers that can be arped, etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.