UPDATED - New Ableton Scripts for Maschine MK3

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Emerah, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

Hi Everyone -
    I hope you find these updates useful .. stay home if you can .. be safe

---

Version 1.0.3b

the updated read me file includes a new 'SETUP' section. the modes and controls descriptions are now updated.
    please consult the read me file to learn the features and controls.

it is getting a bit complex I think a 3 to 4 minutes video can do us all good ..
    if any one wants to help us all by making a video now or in the new future .. please.. we will all appreciate it.

BugFixes:

Fixed: loading a live set with an instrument device on the selected track, triggered an initialization error.
    Fixed: in some cases the pads did not update colors after switching from track selection to instrument mode
    Fixed: an error in imported file path, prevented the scripts in version 1.0.3 from launching.
    Fixed: previously it could occur that the pads would lose connection to its a selected mode on project reload
    New:
    - The pads and group buttons now blink on project launch and project reload to visually indicate successful
    loading of the scripts.
    Changes:
    - Track selection mode is now the default mode for the pads.
    please always use the attached controller editor template .. notes as to why you should do that are included in the readme file.
    here is the link to the repository ... https://github.com/Emerah/Maschine-Control

Version: 1.0.2

Bugfix
    - Fixed: a loopback in track selection prevented selecting more than 1 track in the Live set using (command/control) + mouse click​

improvements:
    - rack devices appear on the group buttons in different color for visual distinction
    - display warning message on maschine when trying to create more than the allowed limit of 12 sends​

New:
    device navigation is now focused on using the 4-D encoder buttons besides the group buttons

- randomize selected device parameters [shift + reset button]
    - collapse/show selected device. [4-D encoder click]
    very useful for navigating devices in stock racks where many devices are collapsed.
    - show/hide chain devices if the selected device is an instrument or drum rack [4-D encoder click]
    - select rack chains when the selected device is a rack that has more than 1 chain [4-D encoder up and down buttons]
    - select device pages when more than 8 devices exit on the selected track [shift + 4-D encoder left and right buttons]​

Changes in controller editor template:
    - moving devices in the device chain now uses [shift + console 7 and 8 (aka banking buttons)]
    old controls [shift + 4-D encoder left and right buttons] now used for paging through sets
    of 8 devices​

version 1.0.1

Bug Fix:
    - Fixed: a bug that prevented selecting 'next track' when there is more than 16 tracks in the Live set​

Improvements:
    - Now selecting tracks using next and previous track buttons will scroll through tracks quickly on long press​

New
    - Reset selected device parameter 'reset parameters' [console button 6]​

Track Selection:
    This mode brings the familiar and useful track selection via Maschine pads.
    - track selection matrix mode, enabled/disabled via the [select button]
    - scroll pages of 16 tracks using [chords and step buttons]
    - select button is momentary .. you can keep the select button pressed, make the selection, when the select button is
    released the pads will go back to playable mode.
    - the pads display different track types in different colors for visual distinction​

version 1.0.0

This version will give you instrument and drum rack playability, device control, device navigation, moving devices in the device chain, track navigation, track creation, transport, switching main view, note repeat, keys and scales ..

I will notify here as I continue to add to the scripts ..
    please share you thoughts, suggestions, and of course bugs :)

ps. code on the repository is updated frequently .. I suggest you should use the version I share here to avoid having unfinished functions or buggy code ..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DataStrainMusic

DataStrainMusic NI Product Owner

Thank you for your contribution! It's great that users here are being proactive in this situation, I just wish it wasn't left up to us.

I find it strange that NI reps say the Ableton Template didn't have a huge demand so they have no plans to keep working on it, yet almost any time I log into here there's a reply/new thread about the MK3 Ableton template.

• Like Like x 1
  3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

I suggest you change the name of the folder to something other than "Masschine_MK3" because as it is the user will have to remove "Daw Control" in order to use it, why not have both? Since Daw Control and Template+Scripts are different things it's cool to be able to switch from one to another based on the need.
    Change it to 'Masschine_MK3_2' or 'Masschine_MK3_Emerah' or something...

Questions:
    I'm having a really hard time understanding how this can be better than the legacy template, it just has 10 static functions while the legacy has like 100 dynamic functions.

The Pads became useless for anything other than Undo/redo Quantize and delete notes, instead of being a hold-shift (mode layer) like in the Legacy one. There are no advanced features like the pads colors matching Live tracks or drum rack cells, triggering scenes, clips, session box navigation, no tracks names, etc, etc..

It does have a few functions that the legacy template doesn't have like device and bank navigation, that's cool but gaining that over the expense of a million other things seems counterproductive, what am I missing here?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. D-One

Thanks, Emerah! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it and also considering a suggestion then instantly implementing it so fast. :thumbsup:

Consider re-editing the OP when you update to consolidate the current version and behavior, or it might get confusing for users as you get more updates out.
    Is there something that non-programmers can help you with as you develop this?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

Good idea ... :thumbsup:

I am more of kb player than a producer so when I starting writing this scrip , I approached Maschine as a controller for the the application .. rather than playable instrument. that is why I gave away the pads for clip editing. but if you copy the pad settings to any other free buttons on you Maschine, and re--enable pad page in the controller editor. you will have both.

I will add some new transport and clip editing features soon .. next I want to look at sending text messages to the screens this week end .. feedback is always helpful .. so please continue to share your thoughts.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DataStrainMusic

I just want to say thank you so much for all your work. You're providing real value to users like me. Can't wait to see how far you take this project.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

DataStrainMusic

Thank you .. I am glad you find it useful to your workflow ... I actually created a cool function similar to the one announced in the coming Maschine update, where touch strip light is used to indicate the playing position .. it looks cool ... out of respect to NI I did not release it since I stole the idea from their announcement. so I will wait until the new Maschine is released then add it immediately to the following scripts release ... main 4 things I am working on are:

- Scene Launching using the pads with scene color feed back
    - Clip launching using the pads with clip color feed back
    - Instrument and drum rack playability
    - sending text messages to the display.

so thats the direction of development I am working on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. themixtape

themixtape NI Product Owner

Find the need and fill it. Thanks so much for your hard work! Can't wait to see the added functionality in future updates. Wonderful!

• Like Like x 1
  9. D-One

This is evolving rather fast... Impressive, hats off to you Sir!

If I could suggest something I would say add a .show_message("bla bla bla") for commands that execute something, like quantize, semi+/-, etc... Just a minor visual detail, not really important.

The code is really tidy and the dev comments you leave are really useful for learning purposes, are you considering putting this project on Github or something similar?
    I am not much of a fan of using my Mk3 to control live but I always have my MikroMk3 just sitting there, is it OK to steal chunks of your code? (for personal/nonprofit use of course.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

themixtape I wanted to upload a short 20s demo clip of it but I couldn't.

D-One that is good suggestion .. convenient too .. I promise I will look into it and I also may add it to next release. had I known someone would look at the code, I wouldn't delete my comments so often .. I will leave that too from now on.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

D-One forgot in my last comment to say, feel free to use the code in your own projects the way you like ... I look at other people code and approach as I build this too ..

• Like Like x 2
  12. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

Hi everyone -

I learned today for the first time about the legacy MK3 scripts that come with Maschine. I only knew about the OSC scripts .. they never worked for me .. .. I tried the legacy scripts now and it has everything I am currently trying to build .. Thanks to the users who showed interest in my scripts even though they offered too little compared to what is already there .. I probably have caused confusion by saying New Scripts ... little did I know :) ..

I will stop this project based on the new knowledge of the legacy scripts and sorry if I confused you .. but I promise to be back when I have something new to bring :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. DataStrainMusic

If you figure out a way to make Full Velocity and Note Repeat work properly while in Legacy mode I would be absolutely grateful and would definitely donate to the cause.

Please keep us updated on this, your contributions are still very much appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

DataStrainMusic ... Hi .... I will add note-repeat to my list .. this weekend I will try to think of ways to make the legacy scripts more lively .. the legacy scripts use framework v1 .. I only have studied v2 that I use in my scripts .. I may choose to re-write the legacy scripts in framework v2 and add the new and requested features to it .. I don't know yet. but I promise to look at note repeat soon.

15. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

Hi DataStrainMusic -

I kept you waiting long, didn't I .. :)

if you are still interested in note repeat and full velocity, it is coming in a few days ... may be this weekend .. along with a few other useful features for playing drums, and controlling devices.

stay safe everyone ...

• Like Like x 3
  16. DataStrainMusic

Incredible! Thank you so much for your contribution. I'm sure any other users of Live and Maschine will be grateful for the effort you put into this. I know I am!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

OP updated with new script.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  18. D-One

Amazing, your script is on its way to became better than the legacy one! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Version numbering is confusing tho... You just shared 1.0.0 which is newer than what's in the OP (1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3).
    I suggest you clean up the OP, when editing you can press "More Options" to replace or add the attachment Zips, there's no reason to still have the older versions there but if you want to keep them up for some reason the numbering has to make sense.
    Since you sort of started over you can remove all the changes and improvements and when you update it again consolidate older changes in a Spoiler.

Check how NI Officials maintain the Maschine Update thread:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...-update-status-maschine-current-2-10-0.80682/
    Changes are in a spoiler, in ascending order, so when you change something you just add i to the top of the list, it will make your life easier... This way new users also aren't bombarded with info, only current users will check it every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Emerah

Emerah NI Product Owner

D-One - thanks ... yeah .. I think I should that ... will do it now ...

20. DataStrainMusic

Finally got the chance to try it out and I have to say I'm very impressed! I dare to say this could end up replacing the Legacy script. So far all the functions I've tested have worked great. Occasionally the fixed velocity option gets stuck but a quick reboot of the controller fixes that. The only things missing I can think of are the pad edit functions; otherwise this was incredibly well executed. Thank you so much for your hard work!

• Like Like x 2