USB-C connection problem / Macbook & Mikro MK3

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by hakan_HaKaN, Jul 3, 2019.

1. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

Hi,
    I'd like to learn your comments and opinions about an issue that I've with my Maschine Mikro MK3 setup on my new Macbook (retina 12", the model that has one usb-c port).

Summary: First I've started to use my Maschine Mikro MK3 with my Macbook Air. Everything goes well. And then decided to use my Mikro MK3 with my other laptop (new Macbook), where problems start.

Details:
    I installed Maschine2 software succesfully, no problem at license/installation stage. Afterwards, start the software and plugged in my Mikro MK3 to my new Macbook. All the lights of the controller's pads blink for a second in a sequence and then nothing happens again. MK3's display shows "Maschine Mikro" once and it doesn't show anything afterwards. Same routine is repeated each time I plug in the MK3 controller to my new Macbook.

Meanwhile, when I try to plug it into my first laptop (Macbook Air) it works without any problem. So, no technical problem at MK3's hardware side.

Additional info:
    -Maschine2 software's preferences, "hardware" section doesn't list my controller.

-I followed all recommendations on the NI's website (including HAL plug-ins folder driver control, updating software, re-installing Maschine2, etc.).

-I use a hub/adapter to connect laptop's charger, hdmi monitor and usb devices to my macbook, since it has only one usb-c port. Despite the fact that other usb devices work seamlessly through this hub, MK3 doesn't.

My assumption (imho):
    The problem could be related to new style usb-c and Mikro MK3 connection.

Here are my questions:
    -Is anyone experienced similar problems while connecting MK3 to their macbook's usb-c port?

-Do you use externally powered hub for usb-c adapter?

-Or could it be related to something completely different on my laptop?

Thank You! Hakan

2. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

I’m using a unpowered belkin usbc hub with my MacBook
    Does the mikro work when you launch the maschine software?
    I noticed from the last update , when I switch my MacBook on the mikro comes on , but once OS X has loaded it switches completely off , it used to display “maschine mikro” on the display and I’m sure pad 1 was was lit.
    As soon as maschine software has finished loading/scanning the mikro comes on .
    I have access to the hardware settings in preferences.

Have you tried disconnecting everything else from your hub

3. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

Hi, thanks for your comments.
    Happy to hear that unpowered usbc hub works fine in your case. So, the problem isn't related to my usbc hub itself.

No, in my case the Mikro doesn't launch when I start the Maschine software.
    Yes, on my Macbook Air Mikro turns on as you've explained. But on this new Macbook, it doesn't do anything.
    Yes, i've also tried disconnecting everything on the hub (even, my hdmi monitor and charging plug). Mikro doesn't recognised under any condition at usb-c plug scenario.

Still searching for a solution. thanks.

4. AL’DREAD

Goto the Apple icon in the top left
    About this Mac / system report/usb
    Does it show up there
    5BBEA59F-8250-4A33-8BA5-17162BC08BD6.jpeg

5. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

unfortunately, it's not listed on that screen.

additional info:
    -when i connect the Mikro to Macbook Air, it's listed (screenshot).
    -when i connect another usb device (in this case, expansion is external hdd) to new Macbook via usbc hub, it's also listed (screenshot).

Attached Files:

6. AL’DREAD

What hub you got ? Are you using the same one on both MacBooks

7. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

Specification for the Maschine Mikro mk3.

MMk3 specs.PNG

René

8. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

it's a 5in1 type-c hub. i use this hub for connecting other usb devices without any problem.

9. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

thank you, maybe it could be related to this. in fact, usb3.0 port (after converting it with the hub) should be compatible with any usb2.0 devices. but, in my Mikro MK3 case, it wasn't.
    so, still any experience with the macbook usb-c hub and Mikro MK3 connection would be appreciated.

10. AL’DREAD

Have you got a link to the model

11. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. AL’DREAD

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

For testing I bought an adapter plug from usb (2,3) to C.
    Verloop 2 to C.jpg
    René

• Like Like x 1
  14. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

thank you, i'll buy a new hub to catch usb2.0 compatibility this time. hope it'll provide a solution. i'll update the thread as soon as i try.

15. hakan_HaKaN

hakan_HaKaN New Member

thank you, i'll try another hub & / adapter. let's see the result then.

16. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Those specs are non-sense though... Modern laptops dont have any USB2 ports for quite a few years now, for Mac's not even USB3, just USB-C.

They are indeed backward compatible but USB-C is not USB 3.0 it's 3.1

All my NI controllers work fine with a USB-3.0 hub, including Mikro Mk3, not all hubs tough... It failed me with low-quality ones.
    USB-C (3.1) is even worst, you really need a decent one, dont go for cheap, they are sort of expensive for a reason. I would go for an apple one, maybe try it at the store with the Mikro to be sure.

iPhones for example have a way of detecting non-apple-certified accessories, even cables, making the super cheap ones unusable or fiddly, I think it's similar with hubs.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. AL’DREAD

I got a belkin usb hub from the Apple store when I brought my MacBook.
    https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HL9B2ZM/A/belkin-usb-30-4-port-hub-usb-c-cable?fnode=8b
    It was pretty expensive ,and is only usb , no hdmi or power for the MacBook, but my MacBook has 4 usbc ports , so I only need it for connecting controllers.
    My iPhone , hdd, hdmi and audio interface, are all usbc cable now

I know they generally are backwards compatible i read that sometimes they’re not ,that’s why I mentioned it

This is what you want
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  18. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that's what I would recommend for stability; Belkin or any brand that is on the online Apple store is "apple certified". Cashing out 69$ for a hub feels like a robbery but hey... It's Apple.

I think it's only related to the quality of the hub itself.
    There's no such thing as USB-C to USB2, or USB3 to USB2, what changes is the connector type not the port generation version. A USB3 hub will have USB3 ports and a USB-C hub will have USB 3.1 ports afaik.
    The answer is just to get a HUB for whatever port the computer has (USB-C) that has everything one needs, some have HDMI, power port, etc...

19. AL’DREAD

I’ve looked into it since I got my MacBook and switched all my cables , usb type c is the connector ,like type a and b , the type c ports on the Mac are thunderbolt 3.
    You now have usb 3.1 gen 1+2 ,usb 3.1 gen 1 is the old usb 3 with speeds of 5gbs
    Usb 3.1 gen 2 can do speeds of 10gbs and it can supply up to 100w of power and 4K .

You can have a usb 2 device with type c connector, there’s a couple of audio interfaces and I think phones with type c are still usb 2.
    There’s a variety of cables on eBay
    Usbc to usb a , b , hdmi etc , there’s also gen 1 and 2 cables that transfer at different speeds , there’s hubs and enclosures.

my hub is usb 3.0 with a type mini b to a type c connector .
    I think the op has a 3.1 gen 2 because it supplies power but , I’ve read that it should still support usb 2 and 3 , so maybe like you said it’s the quality of the hub.

I got a hdd enclosure off eBay which said it was usb3.1 it came with a type c to type a cable , type c being at the hdd end , I wanted it to be type c at the computer end . Anyway I started using it with my usb 3 hub , and it would start randomly ejecting , not sure why maybe because it’s 3.1 gen 2 going into a usb3 hub , I have two cables both the same as I brought 2 enclosures .
    I started using the Apple charger cable, and it doesn’t eject , So I figure it’s not the caddy itself, but just realised tonight that the charger cable only transfers at usb 2 speeds , so a little pointless, still useful but not what I want.
    Apparently I need to get a type c cable that transfers at 10gbs (usb 3.1 gen 2 ) , or maybe a usb 3 .1 gen 2 hub

So its can get confusing, especially if you buy off eBay , You now need to check for gen 1 and 2 . And the connection type.

I want a usb type c hdd so I don’t have to take a hub out with me .
    What I’m also gonna try is using the belkin cable which is type c to usb 3 mini b and connect to the Ku ce 12 hdd
    I’ve just wiped it and I’m copying my all my libraries over to it.

This is the caddy and cable
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Belkin cable and komplete hdd
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  20. AL’DREAD

Try unplugging everything and resetting the Mac smc settings
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295