USBPORT.sys casuing CPU spiking?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by richieb01, Apr 13, 2011.

1. richieb01

richieb01 New Member

Hi,

I am having serious trouble with regular (15 second) CPU spiking which I believe is the cause of my audio drop outs and clicks. I cannot seems to find a solution.

My system is Toshiba Satellite L450-17L / Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit / Intel Celeron CPU 900 2.2GHz / 4GB RAM / Mobile Intel* GMA 4500M. Running Traktor Scratch Duo 2 with Audio 6. Technics 1210 Mk2 / Allen & Heath 92.

I have performed all the windows 7 tuning tips, downloaded all up-to-date drivers including re-installing USB controllers. I have run DPC checker and LATMon and since disabled my wireless LAN and ACPI compliant control battery which removed all red and yellow latency spikes. If I set my USB buffer to 1, I get an almost perfect flat green line in DPC Checker. If i set it to 4 i get small green peaks that mirror the peaks in the resource manager so am pretty sure it is USB Port related. I also have no drivers running over 1.0 in LATMon since disabling LAN and ACPI battery but the USBPORT.sys is by far the largest in DPC. I have performed a selective start-up with msconfig but still get regular CPU spiking. When checking my resource monitor, system interrupts (DPC & ISR's) are causing brief spiking to 100%. As soon as I remove the USB Driver the spikes go away. Changing my latency setting does not appear to solve the issue either. I have reads that it may be something to do with ACPI.sys but this may not be able to be disabled with Win7?

I don't know what else to try. I'm not particularly computer minded but am on a steep learning curve. Help anyone before i smash my laptop up in a fit of rage!:(

Attached Files:

• CPU.PNG
      CPU.PNG
      File size:
      170.7 KB
      Views:
  2. ANR

ANR New Member

Hi richieb01,

I found your post through google and I think I am having exactly the same problems as you have.
    My laptop is a Clevo M860 TU, Windows 7 64. I've gone through all the steps you did, disabling, reinstalling, etc but my biggest problem was my nVidia 9800 GTS. Had to use an old driver and Powermizer to solve it (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=157614&st=500&gopid=1223634&#entry1223634).
    Unfortunately I had to discover that the audio crackles came back and now LatencyMon blames the USBPORT.sys as it does on your laptop.
    So I'm having kind of the same problems as you do (with a Roland Octa Capture, though) and no solution.
    Interestingly, I do not have audio crackles when LatencyMon is monitoring. It seems to keep the USBPORT.sys (or maybe something else?) busy. Does the same thing happen on your laptop?

Cheers!

3. téa

téa NI Product Owner

When you disabled your Wifi, did you use the button on the side or did you fully disable the hardware in device manager? I have heard that this can make some differences. Also I have heard that doing the same hardware disable with the internal sound card has helped (but I think that was more of a fluke)

4. richieb01

richieb01 New Member

Tea - Yes disabled Wifi in device manager. made a big difference to latency but did not reduce spiking.

ANR - Thanks for posting. sorry to hear that you have had the same trouble. its driving me nuts. I'm far from an expert on this as just only bought Traktor but I think there may be an issue with Windows7 64 compatibility. There is some interesting stuff about this written here with a possible BIOS resolution.

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101012&highlight=HPET

I havent tried it yet, so if you have any joy please let me know. Funnily enough my next step was to go back to an older drive and try that, so i'll give it a go. Running LatMon makes my system worse. confused.com

Going to be off line for a few weeks. Good luck.

5. soulsam

soulsam Forum Member

Hi Richieb01,

Having exactly the same problems with my system. The Latency spikes have been through the roof. I bought Traktor 6 months ago and so far havent even been able to do a mix on it yet! Have been in constant contact with NI over it (hundreds of e-mails and phone calls) and still havent got to the bottom of it. Ive been through exactly the same processes as you have and yes mine all points towards USBPORT.sys. See screen shots in PDF file attached.

The only additional thing i have is that i run Traktor on my laptop and desktop.....the common denomonator? They are both Dell computers and i have read threads on here which say it is a common problem with Dell's. Perhaps thats being a tad nieve. I would say that i can find my way round a computer but im certainly not experienced enough to go taking risks and if NI cant get to to the bottom of it then i dont know who can. Maybe we are just extremely unlucky and have Laptops that are not compatible (for whatever reason) with Traktor. My next course of action, drastic as it might seem, is going to be to buy a new laptop. One that is tried and tested because i just want to be able to use the piece of software i paid hundreds of pounds for. Let me know if you find anything additional to what you have already mentioned on this post. I will subscribe to it.

Thanks, Crumpy.

View attachment Latency 12.03.11.pdf

6. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

there is a hot hix from microsoft to fix usb spiking for vista and windows 7

7. bradsmith

bradsmith New Member

Im having the same usbport.sys problem.
    Picked up by LatencyMon.
    Iv tried cutting dwn on services & my computer is running fast as, but still is giving me audio drop & outs & spikes.

I had everything riding smoothly until, turned on my computer one day & BAM.

8. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

did you install the hot fix from microsoft for usb spikes ?

9. richieb01

richieb01 New Member

Hi Mastermc,

I cannot seem to install the hotfix. I get an error message when trying to install it saying something like "this install is not compatible with your setup".

Brad - I've never had my system working well at all, so god knows why that has happened to you. Sorry to hear that.

I'm going to try installing XP Pro tomorrow and boot with just xp with nothing else running. I'll let you all know how i get on.

10. bradsmith

bradsmith New Member

I fixed my problem.
    I updated my BOIS & other Acer stuff which then Reset all my laptop settings in the Power Options without letting me know. Which slowed down the computer to save power. Spent days doing advanced tweaking. Arse hole of a thing hah. Sometimes you gotta look at the most obvious places :l

11. richieb01

richieb01 New Member

Hi all,

Update. I have removed Windows 7 and installed XP on my laptop and installed the latest Traktor update from NI. It now seems to work fine. Not sure if it was changing to XP or the Traktor update, but who cares, its working.

Cheers

Rich

12. errortrax

errortrax NI Product Owner

Just got my hands on a new Asus laptop (Win7 64bit), to run Traktor exclusively with an Audio 4DJ, and this USBPORT.SYS is also giving me DPC Spikes, but only if i disable the wifi...
    Has anyone figured out how to deal with this yet?

Greetz,
    Error

13. ncmpl

ncmpl New Member

I've been running TSP2 for a while now with no errors (after I learned that the wifi-card had to be disabled each time when playing), but suddenly yesterday I got this CPU-spike-problem - I didn't had it before.

Anyone else ever had same kind of issue - that suddenly your computer seems to be unefficient for Traktor?

When I boot my PC, start Traktor w/ Audio 10 connected, the CPU bar of Traktor bounces between 40-60% all the time. Allthough in task manager Traktor2.exe takes only 20% of processor resources AT MAX, it's more in 10%-15% area all the time.

Any tips? All I remember I've installed is some mandatory Win7-updates (have to check what they were) and ACPI-drivers update, but I removed the whole ACPI-driver and tested = no effect.

Help a man in sorrow..

14. ncmpl

ncmpl New Member

Just investigated this little more, and noticed odd thing: while I'm playing, Traktor's CPU-bar goes to red whatever I do; hit cue, scratch, whatever.. but still while looking at Process Explorer, Traktor2.exe peaks ~40% AT TOPS, average is somewhere ~20%. Still all the time going red on Traktor's CPU-bar, and sound gets small dropouts+glitches etc.

Any ideas? I've played with this setup succesfully before, these issues came out of nowhere.

15. richieb01

richieb01 New Member

ncmpl,

I was running Win7 and had lots of trouble. I now boot into XP just for traktor and have Win 7 for word processing (dual boot) Since using XP i have had no problems since. In short, get rid of windows 7. its ****.

16. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Not true. I have been running win 7 for over a year without any problems. The trick is a clean install of the OS. And keep it for traktor.

17. djbooma

djbooma New Member

PLEASE HELP, Traktor Duo 2 CPU SPIKING and Audio drops.

Hello, Im Frustrated! I bought Traktor Scratch Duo 2 a couple of months ago and its been nothing but trouble. I previously used Duo 1 with No Problems but I sold it thinking 2 would work just as well. So first I ran Duo 2 on my Sony Vaio 1st Gen I5 4 Gigs 0f DDR3 Win 7. I was immediatly getting bad CPU spiking, audio drops, crackling and freezing. No matter what I did nothing helped, after a week I got desperate and called NI. NI emailed me an article and I tried everything on and then some. I did the Bios update, then updated my drivers, then I messed with the latency, I got DPC Latency Checker and ran that No problems unless wireless was on but it's always phiscally turned off during Duo use. I shut down all non essentials in task manager, I set all my energy settings for maximum performance, I got the Microsoft hot fix. Notta!
    On top of all that I work at an electronics store during the day and I had the computer Lab guys run their standard stress tests and all that and the laptop passed everything with fling colors. So I mess with it some more and get less freezing and spiking with setting a really high latency and not using my Key locks, Yay its kinda useble now. So I go back to NI and they are not sure whats going on may need to try another computer, ok fine. So I sell my sony cause its still brand new and under warranty. I buy a Toshiba Qosmio because that is what I ran Duo 1 on with no problems. The Toshiba has another 1st Gen I5 with Hyper thread (the sony had that to) and 6 gigs of DDR 3. Guess what same problems altho less severe but same problems. So I go thru all the above steps again same results less severe. I'm really Grrrrrrr at this point so I say screw it I return the laptop and this time I get an Asus G74 Laptop, the specs? well let me tell you! A i7-2360QM CPU quad core with hyper threading, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Graphics card and 8GB of DDR3-1333 RAM and of course win 7. Guess what, with all that I still have the friggin problem! Now it's way less severe I can use the thing and I do use it at my weekly gigs. I have to leave my Keylocks off and it doesnt spike at all. If I turn the Keylocks on it spikes and starts to freeze a little bit. So I'm living with out keylocks for the time being. BUT I still get reallllllly annoying drops. once Im going Time codes on both sides A and B it starts the drops shortly after getting worse and worse. Everytime I load a track I hit play and the wave form disapears and I here nothing. I reload the track again and its fine. So a half hour into my gig I have to load every track twice for the rest of the night GRRRRRRR! The boys in the computer lab say its deffinatly a problem in the software, I let them have the thing for 2 days they went thru that whole article again plus stress testing and diadnostics to the laptop. They can't find a reason for it other than the sofware is flawed in some way. On my 3rd laptop I tend to agree with them. So most nights now, I play on my buddies Toshiba I3 with Duo 1 while my almost 2 thousand dollar laptop loaded with Duo 2 doesn't even make it out of its bag unless I have to. My buddy Won't let my try Duo 2 on his laptop and he won't upgrade to 2, he says it's cursed. Im a Loyal NI fanboy and I so very much want to use my Duo 2 to it's fullest with out being angry. PLEASE HELP ME Someone. NI please fix this PLEASE. ps is it possible my audio 6 itself is the problem? I tried my buddies audio 4 and it didn't work any better. I just need this to work, I blew alot of money here and I beleive in NI's Quality Product, but we gotta get this figured out. I have been a club DJ for 10 years and never had a product fail like this on me. NI I love you But fix this. Do right by me and the others with simular problems.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

What soundcard are you using and are you sure you have it plugged into a USB2.0 port and not a USB3.0?

19. djbooma

djbooma New Member

I have the NI Audio 6, the Laptops internal card I believe is the Intel Cougar Point PCH. I tried every USB Port except for the 3.0 and my. I know the Audio 6 doesn't support USB 3.0 . My 2 Previous Laptops didn't have USB 3.0 at all. The double loading of the tracks doesn't happen if Im running time code on one deck and audio thru on the other Deck. the spiking and freezing only happens when the Key lock is on.

20. el_negro_sucio

el_negro_sucio Forum Member

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...-USB-Driver-Bug-(what-it-is-and-how-to-fix-it)

Just installed the fix from this website. It routes you to another WIN7 usb hotfix.

Fixed my problem with CPU spikes.

Using ASUS k53E i3 processor running at 2.3ghz and 4GB of ram
    ---
    Direct link to Microsoft Hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2529073
    ---

The above hotfix makes your computer update thru Microsoft instead of trying to install the standalone usb hotfix (which commonly gives the "not compatible with your pc" or w/e message :p).

Make sure you have win7 genuine!

Hope this helps out!