Use EastWest Gold Edition on multiple CPUs???

Discussion in 'KOMPAKT' started by Eyalc, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyalc

Eyalc NI Product Owner

I have a powerbook that I travel with, and a desktop in the main studio. I want to authorize Gold Edition for both CPUs, but it looks like that might not be possible. But I haven't tried yet.

Anyone here authorize it and use it on two different macs?

Thanks!

2. hellleutel

hellleutel NI Product Owner

yes, without problems,

BUT - according to their tech support it is allowed on no more than two machines. Which I think is an incredibly bad policy. (They say themselves that you need more than two computers to run it in full but they don't let you do it..)

Best, u

3. pmwaring

pmwaring NI Product Owner

Most of the advertising and literature that I have seen regarding EWQLSO refers to the Platinum edition, as does your statement above. Gold runs quite happily on a single computer, well tit does for me.

Also since Platinum is design to run on multiple computers they do give twice the numbe of authorizations.

4. hellleutel

hellleutel NI Product Owner

You don't say that you are running a major part of the instruments/articulations/variations and percussion sounds on a single machine, do you?

How many Kompakts are being active in your setup?

Curious: Ulrich

5. pmwaring

I can run 5 instances of Kompakt at once (40 Articulations).

But really Kontakt is the way to go I can run 5 instances of that too (80 Articulations).

I've never needed 80 articulations, but I did test it out of curiosity.

FYI. PC, AMD XP3000+, Win XP Pro, 3Gb RAM, 3 x 120Gb Hard Drives.

6. looptracks

looptracks NI Product Owner

Y can't I run multiple Kontakts???

"I can run 5 instances of Kompakt at once (40 Articulations)"

For some reason,. I can only run 1 instance of Kompakt on my computer (P4, 3.2 GHz, Windows XP, 2 gigs of RAM, 7200 SATA drives). This renders EWQLSO Gold less than useable. I know it's me but what is wrong?

7. pmwaring

Are you using Kompakt as a VSTi. If yes what is your host program?

8. looptracks

multiple Kompakts

I get it now--that I have to use a VST host to mount multiple instances. Without going into it too deeply: I just wanted to use my PC as a virtual synth rack, but I now see this means I also have to use a VST host. Damn, I hate learning complicated new sequencer junk. I find Abelton live baffling, for example. DP I understand well, but that's Mac and the Mac is too busy doing it's sequencing/audio to run plugs.
    Oh well, back to the drawing board!

9. pmwaring

You might like to take a look at this piece of software and see if it is the solution to your problem.

FX Teleport

Alternatively you could take a look at one of the cheaper hosts e.g. n-track, and run that on your pc.

10. looptracks

gratitude

Thanks! You are most kind to share these suggestions. It appears the V-Stack software may be what I'm after. I'm going to try it.

11. Ricardo Rebelo

Ricardo Rebelo NI Product Owner

Xlutop Chainer is very good as well!

Try it, you'll love it!

But I also have a question, and please bear in mind that I'm new to this matters. I was reading your posts on running "5 instances of Kompakt at once (40 Articulations)and 5 instances of that too (80 Articulations).

What is this talk about Articulations cause I don't have a clue?
    And what rocket science computer do you have that enables you to run that many instances?

Kind regards!

12. pmwaring

Articulations are simply different ways of playing the same instrument e.g. A violin section playing long (legato) notes will sound very different to one playing short (staccato) notes. If you try to play short notes using a legato patch it will note sound real. There are many ways to play notes on each instrument, and each of these techniques or articulations needs its own set of samples. So if you have a particularly involved string passage you may have to use three or four articulations.

To answer your second question, my computer is as follows AMD XP3000+, 3Gb RAM, 1 x 300Gb and 3 x 120Gb Hard Drives. I have tuned my PC for audio use, and I try to keep the software on it to a bare minimum. When I am using it to write music I stop all non-essential background processes.

Another thing to point out is that if you are composing in a program like Cubase you should make use of the "Freeze" function. This will render your VSTi output to an audio file and disable the VSTi and thus lighten your CPU load. You can "Unfreeze" at any time to make any changes and then refreeze. Remember the whole VSTi is frozen so it is best to use one instance (or more) of Kompakt for each section of the orchestra.

My last tip is to freeze all of the VSTi when you have finished writing your piece, as this will almost totally free your CPU to process any reverb effects that you may wish to add.

Hope this has been of some use to you.

Paul

13. Ricardo Rebelo

Paul,
    many thanks for your elaborated reply.

I'm still on VST 32/5.2 so no freezing for me yet.

I still have a couple more questions:

On page 99 of the operator manual regarding the multi instrument section they say "...The save button is where you can save the instruments and multis that come with Kompakt Instrument." Where are those factory multis, cause I went through all the installation procedure and haven't found them anywhere.

And in page 15 they mention: "A dream system at the time of writing would consist of two high-end computers for each module, for a total of eight computers."

How is this accomplished, linking several computers together? How would they connect and by what means?

14. Ricardo Rebelo

Greetings!

I'm still looking for answers on the questions posted above!

If anyone could shed some light it would be greatly aprecciated.

Thanks!

15. pmwaring

No, but you can simply export any audio e.g. VSTi out to a wave file and load that into an empty audio track and disable the VSTi.

Gold and Platinum do not have any multis, but you can save your own N.B. They must be saved to the Instruments directory of you EWQLSO installation directory i.e. Where the samples are.

The dream system only really applies to Platinum. Platinum is thought of as being Modular (as you can buy the orchestral sections indivually) Woodwind, Brass, Strings and Percussion. Remember EWQLSO Silver and Gold can only be installed on to two computers.

Computers can be synced together in a number of ways. Cubase can use System-Link, although each computer would need to be running Cubase which would be expensive) or you can use some of the programs that we mention above i.e. VST hosts, this would mean one PC for the sequencing and the others running the VSTs.

16. Ricardo Rebelo

Yep, that's what I always do!

I wasn't aware of that, thanks!

Yes, I know sistem-link and I know and use (with reasonable results so far) FX Teleport. I thought they were referring to another device...

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer!

Regards!

17. pmwaring

Hi Ricardo,

As regards linking two systems together I only know what I've come across on different forum discussions. I'm sure that there must be more ways to it in addition to System-Link and FX Teleport in fact I know there are but the only one I can remember is Steinberg's V-Stack.

I have not looked into this subject too deeply as multiple computers are not a viable option for me as I do not have much space. I honestly believe that for most people the best option is to have one top-notch system. I myself am looking to upgrade my system with an AMD 64-Bit processor, Motherboard and 4Gb of RAM. This won't be cheap, but neither are the software packages and samples that we buy.

Happy Trails.

Paul.

18. jrg83

jrg83 NI Product Owner

multiple PCs and ESQL Symphonic Orchestra

A few suggestions that others gave me:

1. One way to mount multiple instances of Kompakt on a single computer is on a program called, "forte Ensemble." It's about US$130 and can be downloaded online from Brainspawn. I'm using it on my external PC setup (Macintosh is the master sequencer, with extra PCs running as stand-alone library modules for Symphonic Orchestra platinum). I don't know if you can use forte Ensemble within Digital Performer or another sequencer as a virtual instrument or not - I am only using it on external PCs.

2. Capacity Limit -- If you use the Platinum Edition and are using the "multis", you can only mount 4-6 Kompakt instances, even on a fully-loaded and tweaked PC if you are using the bigger samples (18 violins with lots of keyswitches). However, you can use a very large number of the single-mic instance (the 'F' library - stage microphones). I'm just beginning to work with this, so I'm not sure what voice limitations I'm going to run into with, say, a lot of percussion (cymbals with long release tails). Any suggestions would be welcome.

3. Mixer -- I am linking them with Mark of the Unicorn's 2408mk3 interfaces. You can use up to 4 of these "ganged" together. Each one has inputs divided into 3 banks. Each bank can accomodate an ADAT input OR a TDIF. You can also substitute 8 analogue or a single SPDIF in for one of the banks. These are much cheaper than digital mixing boards (the other option), though they don't have the sends, eq, faders, and so on, that a mixer has. I never use eq any more and have an external, hardware reverb that I like better than using the processing power that a plug-in soft reverb uses. But most guys I know are using the plug-ins.

Cheers,

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.