Useful Tips. lists of Tutorials for new and intermediate Reaktor users

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by sowari, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

ok, this is an experiment. this thread was suggested by tubaman, and i think it is a good idea. HOWEVER, for it to work it needs contributions from ALL Reaktor users, NOT just the so called "advanced users".

so....everyone please list tips and tricks that you use as a Reaktor user.

also please list ideas and ensembles and Reaktor builders (including the User Library) that have helped you get to know this software.

sowari

2. theologiae

theologiae NI Product Owner

3. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

Re: Useful Tips for new and intermediate Reaktor users

Sowari, thanks for picking up on the suggestion. I hope it bears fruit!

I feel I should offer up a simple tip in support of my own suggestion.

This situation comes up from time to time. I found it in Pitch Shifter effect, a favorite of mine. The default setting to have the Right control "slaved" to the Left. I prefer to control each independently for a more interesting effect. Here's a quick one to show how to break the connection. See attached...

Thanks to Rick Scott for first showing me this.

Attached Files:

4. sowari

the song position fix v1.1 by daniel battaglia is also a must download
    from the User Library. go to:-

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=userlibrary_us&type=0&ulbr=1&plview=detail&patchid=5426

over the years as Reaktor get updated, there are often problems with Sequencers not resetting properly. meaning after reset (double click on the Reaktor stop, the sequencer does not play the first event.

a classic example of this problem is:-

Double Ouzo v0.2 by Dieter Zobel

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=userlibrary_us&type=0&ulbr=1&plview=detail&patchid=3600

by inserting daniels "Song position fix" macro into the clock structure INSTEAD of the Song Pos module, the problem is cured and the sequencer plays the first event after reset.

see the enclosed picture which is the wonderful Double Ouzo.

sowari

Attached Files:

5. sowari

try this:-

under View, choose "Reset All Tool Window Positions"

hopefully if you press F4, you should see Properties again.

sowari

6. sowari

The Classic Vocoder (originally a Reaktor 4 instrument) is "broken" in R5, but there is an easy fix. basically the Offset and Slope knobs do not work. this is because of the change in how Reaktor deals with MIDI.

here is the fix. you need to click on the instrument Out MIDI icon and choose Int. MIDI and then click on and choose Vocoder <self>. this will cure the broken internal MIDI connection.

see picture

Attached Files:

7. kid_sputnik

kid_sputnik NI Product Owner

some building tips:

(1)if you are on the PC, check out this awsome little program, it lets you add new modules using the keyboard, and for me its invaluable. its created by Reaktor user Dietrich Pank and i personally use it everytime i use Reaktor.
    http://www.pankd.de/wordpress/?cat=4

(2)go to all the links on this thread, including mr list's wonderfukl FAQ page

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum_us/showthread.php?t=39660

(3)the ctrol key can be used to add new ports!! when you drag a wire to a module, hold the ctrl key and any module that can accept multiple inputs will add new ones in response to the ctrl+wire being dragged to it. this even works on macros, adding new terminal modules inside.

(4)learn how to use the panelsets! they are a big help when you use standalone only.

(5)know the differance between audio and events. this is alot more vague of a tip than the other ones, but its very important. the way audio and events work in Reaktor is vastly differant, with audio as a signal, and events as single control messages that can be sent at any time. as thelogaie said above, learn to use the event watcher, its in the user library, do a search for it. it used to be that reaktor doesnt give you the tools to do any real debugging without it, although now in the building blocks folder there IS an event history macro by james walker hall that is also useful, it has a much smaller footprint than the event watcher, although in most cases i find the event watcher easier to use (that said, there is a polyphonic event history that is invaluable when you start taking advantage of polyphony in Reaktor the way lazyfish and others do in things like the SQ sequencers).

(6)understand polyphony! modules have a little lamp in the lower right corner, and poly modules are yellow, monophonic ones are orange, and mdoules that are diconnected are grey. a poly module can NEVER connect to a mono module unless the mono module is a voice combiner or a from-voice module. the way polyphony works is that each module that is poly is duplicated behind the scenes once for each voice or polyphony. for normal synth behavior, you need polyphonic notepitch and gate modules. try sending a poly synth mono notepitch and gate modules (to turn mono, right-click and select mono from the top of the menu) - aall the voices will sound at the same time, liek unison only without the pitch spreading! this is very important to learn.

8. kid_sputnik

one more hint about polyohony: often times users (including myself at one point) starting to look at the works of people like lazyfish and james walker hall and other users that use polyphony is ways other than for synth voices often get baffled by the use the voice-info module. the V output is usually the problem, often times it will be connected to an adder module with a constant of -1. i heard one user here even say that the V output is some kind of black-box thing that only NI programmers can use. this seems silly, but it really can be confusing. according to the tooltips and manual, the V output sends out the current voice number polyphonically, meaning that it sends out a polyphonic event signal, at initialization like a constant, where each voice's value is the voice number. so, for example, on voice 5 the outputs value is 5. the reason the -1 is used is because voices start counting from 1, and most Reaktor modules start counting from 0.

and simnple example of when to use this is for making a fast and easy to-voice x N macro, where N is the amount of events you want to send to a differant voice. i gort this idea from lazyfish, btw. say you have 4 voices. make either a router or selector modules (see my next post), and conn3ect the V-1 (V output of Voice Info module -1) to the pos input. make 4 inputs to the router, and make sure the router is polyphonic. the things you wire to the routers' inuts should be monophonic. ow, each input sends to a differant voice. why? well, sinc3e there are 4 voices, its liek there are 4 seperate router modules working in parallel. each has its own pos value. the V-1 event will send values 0, 1, 2 and 3 on voices 1 thru 4, as i said above, so voice 1's pos value will be a 0, voice 2's will be a 1, and etc. hope that makes sense, a good place to go afterwards is the classic ensembles sumsynth, look at the pitch section which uses some movbing between mono and poly events to get an additive synth with as many partials as active voices. very cool!!!

9. kid_sputnik

one more tip! as i said in the last post, ill talk a bit about routers. its has to do with the way Reaktor does events. basically, the routers that are in the signal processing folder can be used on events the same waty as the event processing menu routers. by routers i meant the modules that say router in them, plus the selector, relay, crossfader, and some others. since Reaktor 4, many modules cahnge their behavior from event to audio and back depending on what is connected to their inputs, and if the inputs are all events, the module will be an event module. so, the big differance between the signal processing (signal) and the event processing (event) routers in event mode it what happens when the pos changes. in the signal routers, when the pos changes, and output event will be sent. it will in effect "remember" what was in its inputs at the time of the pos change, and send out the appropriate value out the output. for the distributer and panner, the outputs that dont get selected will actually send out 0s. this seems like great behavior, and in many ways it is, but sometimes the amount of event sbeing sent has to be limited to onoly when you really need the. an example is the iterator module, this will do its thing if i gets any event at it's trig input, even an event with the value of 0. so, what you want here is the event routers. with these, the pos only selects what input or output is used. the input value to be routed must be sent after the pos event to have effect. for example, with the 1,2 router module, with an event source in the 1 input and no 0 input at all (like it is by default), if the pos is set to 0 and then an event comes in the 1 input, there is nothing out the output since the pos passes or blocks all events. try the same thing with the relay module in event mode, for all intents and purposes this seems to be the same module as the 1,2 router, yet the differances i pointed out above take effect. so, if you use the relay instead and the pos is set to 0, you you will still get an event at the output!, even if its just an event with the value of 0. remember, for the iterator, or event table's W input, or many other modules, an event of 0 value will do the exact same thing as a non-zero event.

10. tubaman

tubaman NI Product Owner

Can you elaborate a little - maybe give an example? Thanx

DD

11. kid_sputnik

yah, i knew that was coming! i should have wrote, make sure to read the manula section on using panelsets, they are very handy.

anyways, ion standalone mode, in the icon strip at the top left, where you select between strcuture and panel view and turn the browser on/off, etc, the first button on the left is the panelsets button. it opens up a strip on the left side. it is divided into 2 parts. the top part lets you amke a new panelset. the top one is selected remotely by hitting ctrl + 1, the next one via ctlr + 2, etc. you can also rename them whatever you want. so, make a new panelset in your ensemble, name it and save it with the S button (the X button deletes it). then, at the bottom you select what instruments you want to be visible. after you select them, resave the panelset, then make another one, and use either the mouse to select them when the panelsets window is open, or (much better), use the ctrl + numeric keys to select between them. there is one other really groovey thing here - you can have the A and B view selection also csaved with the panelsets! so, you can make 1 panelsets, both with the same instrument visible, but one has view A open, and the other view B. then, you can use the ctrl + numeric key commands to swithc between A and B views, which can be very handy and a good reason to use panelsets even if the ensemble only uses 1 instrument.

oen wierd bug since Reaktor 5.0 is that sometimes when you close the panelsets window, the screen doesnt redraw correctly, there is a line towards the right of the screen and everything to the right of that line is basically dead, and doesnt change or update. to fix this, just minimize and then re-maximize Reaktor, and it goes away. very pesky bug, i wish they would fix it already!

12. sowari

Using effects like Resochord in Ableton Live

Attached Files:

13. max_planck735

max_planck735 Forum Member

Gaining an intuitive understanding of the basic building blocks that make up all sounds (sine waves) is at the very heart of sound synthesis. This freeware program is an excellent tool to use for gaining such an understanding:

http://www.klingbeil.com/spear/

Basically, you take a wav or aif file of any sound that you want to learn more about, plug that sound into SPEAR, and SPEAR will produce a map of the sine waves needed to reproduce that sound. Also, SPEAR uses this map to control a series of sine oscillators, so that you can hear what the map sounds like.

Then, you can edit the map, removing or moving sine waves, then play back the edited map so that your ear can hear how the sound changes as a result of how you altered the map. The more you play with sounds like this, the better understanding you'll get of how to synthesize sounds using additive synthesis.

Have fun!!!

14. Richie Grin

Richie Grin NI Product Owner

hey dude, this thread's pretty cool!

15. CList

CList Moderator

---------------------------------------
    READ THE MANUAL
    ---------------------------------------

I know it's big. I know it's boring, but please, at least read some of it...

Chapter 9 IS A MUST

Then chapters 14,15,16,17,18,19

Then go back and read the rest of it and move on to the Core Tutorial.

You'll really save yourself (and those of us who'll answer your questions) a lot of time in the long run by doing that at the start.

- CList

16. CList

CList Moderator

If you plan on doing any work on sequencers or anything that uses any of the more fancy GUI elements (multidisplays, event tables, etc). Read the Event Initialization Algorithm document that's found in the Reaktor 5 install folder under...
    Documentation -> Technical detail information

Then read some of the many threads about Global Event Resets here on the forums.

17. herw

herw NI Product Owner

and do all boring jobs until you have reached any of your ideas and you will learn more and more until you understand more and more

18. sowari

if however AFTER reading the manual, you find it is not clear or that you need clarifications, PLEASE ask here.

sowari

19. sowari

using SQ sequencers in Reaktor 5
    there seems to be some confusion as to how to use the SQ sequencers in Reaktor 5. so i am hoping to clarify how to use them. i am talking about the SQP, SQ16, SQ8, and SQ8x8 sequencers.

if you want to use a sequencer that sends out MIDI note and velocity data, to play a monophonic or polyphonic synth. then you should use the SQP. this has a MIDI Note pitch/gate (MIDI Out) module, and therefore sends pitch and gate data to another instrument in the ensemble.

you select the instrument by clicking on the "Out" icon on your "Instrument Header" and selecting the synth that will receive the MIDI data.

the enclosed picture shows a connection between the SPQ and the "Soundschool Analog" synth instrument. the pathway is Out-> Int. Midi-> Analog.

the other SQ sequencers:-

(for me) the SQ16 seems to be designed to trigger samples. it produces MIDI notes 1-16 with different velocities and also has a modulation sequencer. as i said, it can be used to trigger samples (with L and R splits between 1 and 16) or individual drum synths that receive MIDI notes 1-16.

the SQ8 has 8 individual tracks that send out Gate/velocity data, that can trigger 8 individual drum sounds (synth and/or samples).

NB!!!! neither the SQ16 nor the SQ8 send out MIDI Data. unlike the SQP, they have to be "hard wired" to another instrument.

on the other hand, the SQ8x8 DOES send out MIDI Data. however the sequencer ONLY sends out different velocities according to how big the square is on the sequencer grid. the MIDI Note can only be changed by the note number.

for me all the above sequencers have been made for Reaktor in standalone mode. they don't behave very well at all in a host application (for instance, they don't reset to the start of the sequence).

please feel free to add to these descriptions, ask questions, and give your own opinions.

if you want a classic "step" sequencer to drive a drum machine i would recommend RD-10 by Stephan V. in the user library (indeed all his uploads are worth having a look at).

sowari

NB, here is a link to the thread about this:-

http://www.nativeinstruments.de:80/forum_us/showthread.php?t=30603

Attached Files:

• SQP.gif
      SQP.gif
      File size:
      14.4 KB
      Views:
  20. sowari

Here is a link to the thread

Controlling How Reaktor VST Automation Parameters Appear in your Host

http://www.nativeinstruments.de:80/forum_us/showthread.php?t=25102

sowari

Here, for the record, is my understanding of how to set values in Reaktor to control the way knobs, XYs, etc. show up as automatable VST parameters in VST hosts. It is based on experience using Reaktor ensembles in Ableton Live, Xlutop Chainer and Plogue Bidule, under WinXp. I have posted it here in response to the thread "reaktor automation in live?"

Looking at the last panel, the connection panel, in properties of instruments and modules:

1) Each instrument has a Base ID. You can move this to a numerically lower value by selecting "Instrument Up" from the dropdown. (Counterintutitive terminology until you think of this as moving the instrument's Base ID up the list.) The amount moved depends on the Max ID of the instrument and the other instruments in the ensemble. (See 5) Base IDs of instruments are unique within the ensemble.

2) Each instrument has Max ID. You can set this manually. The next point explains what this does.

3) Each VST automatable module (only panel modules as far as I can tell) has a unique ID *within the instrument*. It also has a Global ID.

3.a) *The Global ID is what determines the position of the module in the listing of VST automatable parameters in your host.* This can be important. E.g., Ableton Live only displays parameters for modules with Global IDs from 1-128. Also, if your Global ID is high, you'r going to have to search for it in your host.

You cannot manually or directly set the Global ID, but you can manually set the module ID. So, how to set the Global ID?:

3.b) If the Module.ID <= Instrument.MaxID then Module.GlobalID = Instrument.BaseID + Module.ID.

3.c) If the Module.ID > Instrument.MaxID then Module.GlobalID appears as "--". In plogue bidule at least, this means the module can't be VST automated, and I think this would go for other hosts as well.

4.a) Reaktor automatically renumbers Module.IDs within instruments when you change them so they remain unique.

4.b) When you move instruments up or down using the IDs drop down, the base ids of the instruments are set to be contiguous based on their MaxIDs. E.g., move instrument A with maxid 10 up before instrument B, and B's based ID will be 11.

5) It follows from 3) and 4) that if you've got a hundred knobs in your instrument, but you really only want to automate ten in your host, you would want to set Instrument.MaxID to 10, and set the Module.IDs of your knobs to 1,2,...10. That way your instrument A would only take up ten slots in the VST parameters, which means that B can start at 11, which is a big help in letting you see all your important parameters consecutively, e.g., in Ableton Live.

6) Remember that XYs modules take *two* VST automation IDs. If an XY has a global ID of 5, then 5 is the global id for the X parameter, 6 for the Y. This is important to know so when you number modules so that their IDs are continguous you don't clobber modules after your XY. For example, if you want to see FreqXY.X, FreqXY.Y, VolumeKnob in Ableton, then VolumeKnob.ID has to be FreqXY.ID + 2.

7) Best practice: when you've polished up your instrument and ensemble, determine what knobs etc you will want to have automated, and determine a sequence in which you'd like them to appear in your host. Then manually set the IDs of these knobs, etc., so they appear as you wish in the host. And set the MaxID of the instrument to the highest ID of your knobs.

8) Compress and sort functions in the ID menu;

8.a) When you add a new automatable module, Reaktor has to generate a new unique ID. I think it does this by adding 1 to the current highest ID. So if you've deleted modules with IDs, and add new one, you can end up with gaps in the sequence of IDs. A compress renumbers all IDs so they are consecutive.

8.b) Compress and sort does this renumbering based on the sort order of module names.

• Like Like x 1