Useful Tips. lists of Tutorials for new and intermediate Reaktor users

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by sowari, Jan 2, 2007.

1. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

Use an Adder.

sowari

2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

Just use an adder - sum the left channels and right channels, etc., into individual channel busses.

3. Kozakahi

Kozakahi New Member

Thanks but where can I find it ? macro ?

4. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

it is a 'Module':

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 17.29.21.png

sowari

5. Exiannyc

Exiannyc Active Member

Comrades, I'm posting this here because you are all interested in computer based modular synthesis. This is a learning resource that is not specific to Reaktor. It covers computer based modular synthesis in general.

I got a HUGE amount of help, information, and learning out of studying Issue 211 of Computer Music Magazine, the Modular Synthesis issue. It cost me all of $5 for an electronic download at Zinio, and it came with hours of tutorial videos, and about 40 free plugins.

And no, I do not work for Computer Music Magazine.

http://www.musicradar.com/computermusic/computer-music-211-modular-synthesis-december-2014-609809

Free version of Xils 3 with detailed tutorial videos on patching it. Free version of Aalto with great tutorial video. Free version of Dune and I don't know how many more.

I have read numerous books, and manuals, and websites. This gave me more light bulb moments more efficiently than any other resource. Let me know what you think.

Enjoy.

sincerely
    Christian

• Like Like x 1
  6. Exiannyc

Exiannyc Active Member

Oh wait, I forgot to mention: Computer Music Magazine Issue 211 includes a detailed tutorial with videos on building an effects unit in Reaktor. Lot of light bulb moments in that one. You will understand how maths units and mixers fit into the picture.

Christian

7. colB

colB NI Product Owner

This is not going to be news to any math folks out there, but to everyone else it could be useful.

I came up with a cheap way to extend the range of the 32bit exp module in core.
    When the input to this module gets greater than about 127, or less than -126, the output can be INF, or wraps to a value with the opposite sign. This can get in the way when playing with envelopes and exponential LFO's
    It also effects the pow module which uses exp internally. e.g. 0.0001 ^ 10 pushes the exp out of range.
    (Most of the time you probably don't raise 0.0001 to the 10th power, but this sort of thing can happen when the inputs are varying, and it would be nice not to have to test for all sorts of corner cases...)

One of the identities of the exp function is that (x^a)*(x^b) = x^(a+b)
    So if you divide the input of the exp function by 2, and square the output, you get the correct result(the same as the basic exp to about 7 decimal places), but the input range becomes ~ +/-250. You can extend this further - multiply the input by 0.25, and raise the output the 4th power with two multiplies for a range of roughly +/-500. Even with 32bit multiplies at the output, you can get better results using this trick, best when used with 64 bit math downstream.
    extend exp range.PNG

To use with the pow module, open it up and apply this trick to the internal exp module.

cheers

Col

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  8. herw

herw NI Product Owner

the used identity is: [a^(x/r)]^r=a^x :)

9. colB

colB NI Product Owner

I suppose it is, although it's not one I've seen in any lists of exponential identities.
    I saw (x^a)*(x^b) = x^(a+b), and realised that making a=b=half of the desired exponent, then juggled it around, would allow me to extend the input range of the 32bit exp module. It would be nice to have lucid moments like that more often :)
    (FWIW, I was working on an LFO based on the exponential envelope stuff we've been discussing. Extending the input range of the exp function allows it to get a LOT closer to a square wave shape).

10. herw

herw NI Product Owner

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentialfunktion#Rechenregeln
    interesting - looking forward to see it

11. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

Can never have too many tips for Reaktor.

Thanks to all the contributors and you too Sowari for continually digging them up

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

By the way, you can locate which builder is new!
    The older ones zip or rar their projects. All other loadup tons of mega bytes uncompressed.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jonathan Tremblay

Jonathan Tremblay Active Member

Agreed. However I usually only zip when it's either too big, or I upload the separate instrument + the ensemble.

14. jlbaker

jlbaker NI Product Owner

I have a detailed note (12 pages) on the workings of the Grain Cloud module in Reaktor 6. It's on my website. Please suggest how I can most usefully publish a link to it. (This is probably not even the right place to ask, but it's all I could find or think of.)